Downloadable game pricing

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Do any of you expect the pricing structure for downloadable games to change any time in the near future?

On Steam they seemed to go down over time.

It's just weird seeing some games on sale at Best Buy for $39.99 and then seeing the same game in the XBOX store for $59.99.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Doubt it, MS has been overpricing digital games all through the Xbox 360's lifecycle. Keep an eye out for sales and such, but I'm afraid the regular pricing will remain high.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I guess that's one way to stay friendly with brick and mortar.

I do see the downloadable version as a better value in some ways. Mainly because I don't have to worry about my game discs getting lost or scratched. I am just hoping that prices come down a bit in the future. But I imagine that would only have happened if the XBOX ONE was Digital Only.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think eventaully you will see Steam like pricing. Right now there are hardly any games out so it will be a while.

A vast majority of console gamers are still stuck in the midset of having physical media to get a few bucks for on the used market. PC games have pretty much done away with that years ago which is why you see digital download things like Steam so popular.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Do any of you expect the pricing structure for downloadable games to change any time in the near future?

On Steam they seemed to go down over time.

It's just weird seeing some games on sale at Best Buy for $39.99 and then seeing the same game in the XBOX store for $59.99.

Digital games shoud be cheaper than disc games because there are no manufacturing, shipping, or retail costs. Plus, you can't re-sell them. It is unacceptable that they aren't cheaper. What's even more unacceptable, though, is the fact that they are actually more expensive: that is ludicrious. The reason is because 1. they have a monopoly on the digital store, and 2. they don't want to make retailers mad, who they badly need. The only way they'll change it is if enough people complain about it. I recommend tweeting them. You can use many of the Twitter accounts that are posted in the #SaveXboxWP thread. We need to convince them to let third-party retailers sell digital dowload codes for games along side disc versions. That way, if a disc version goes on sale for $40, so will the digital version.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Digital games shoud be cheaper than disc games because there are no manufacturing, shipping, or retail costs. Plus, you can't re-sell them. It is unacceptable that they aren't cheaper. What's even more unacceptable, though, is the fact that they are actually more expensive: that is ludicrious. The reason is because 1. they have a monopoly on the digital store, and 2. they don't want to make retailers mad, who they badly need. The only way they'll change it is if enough people complain about it. I recommend tweeting them. You can use many of the Twitter accounts that are posted in the #SaveXboxWP thread. We need to convince them to let third-party retailers sell digital dowload codes for games along side disc versions. That way, if a disc version goes on sale for $40, so will the digital version.

There was word that gamestop would carry some digital only games at one point. COD: Ghosts the dual digital pack was said you were able to buy a code from Gamestop (even could of ordered it from Amazon at one point). Has anyone actually looked into it ? Did MS do it on any other games or was it just ghost ?

No question, the costs need to mirror chain prices, if they don't, Microsoft's dream of a all digital world will be a failure accept for people who don't care about saving 20-50% of the cost of games...I have to be a budget minded gamer, so this will make a big deal to me...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro