Ryse available for 39,99$ on Amazon

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up for the US peeps in here.

Amazon.com: Ryse: Son of Rome: Xbox One: Video Games

On another note, it's funny how different the customer reviews are about this game compared to the gaming press. I've mostly seen the game review pretty well from the customers (for example on Amazon right there it has avg. 4/5 stars, same story in most places), mean there was only a few gaming medias that gave the game more than like.. 7/10 or so.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I got Ryse for Christmas and completed my first play through two nights ago. IMO, this is the jewel of the launch games. The graphics are the best of any console game to date. Gameplay mechanics may seemingly be simple, but the game is still challenging on higher difficulty levels. Too much was made about QTEs by reviewers -- they are not QTEs, they are execution sequences that if performed properly significantly increase your scoring/XP. The story is enjoyable and cut scenes offer jaw dropping visuals. The Smart Glass companion is very comprehensive in detailing the game and user progress, including allowing you to view all collectibles and cut scenes that have been opened. As an entire package it shows that this game became a labor of love for Crytek. It disgusts me how reviewers (and Sony fancies) savage this game while praising games like COD Ghosts and BF4 which are largely recycled and even broken on next gen.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I got Ryse for Christmas and completed my first play through two nights ago. IMO, this is the jewel of the launch games. The graphics are the best of any console game to date. Gameplay mechanics may seemingly be simple, but the game is still challenging on higher difficulty levels. Too much was made about QTEs by reviewers -- they are not QTEs, they are execution sequences that if performed properly significantly increase your scoring/XP. The story is enjoyable and cut scenes offer jaw dropping visuals. The Smart Glass companion is very comprehensive in detailing the game and user progress, including allowing you to view all collectibles and cut scenes that have been opened. As an entire package it shows that this game became a labor of love for Crytek. It disgusts me how reviewers (and Sony fancies) savage this game while praising games like COD Ghosts and BF4 which are largely recycled and even broken on next gen.

Nice little review, I picked this game up on release day from xbox live but, I have not really touched it due to the 2 our of 5 star reviews it got. I played it for about 20 min one night, as it's a really nice looking game, I found to to be a hack and slash game that is really pretty with not too much depth to it but, after reading your review I might give it a little more time.

It's one of the very few games I picked up without reading a review of it......

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The game is all about reaction, execution and patience. Trying to get a 50+ legendary combo is very rewarding. Yea its easy to play if you dont care about being perfect, but throw it on a hard difficulty and try to not lose your combo. thats where the game shines.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The game is all about reaction, execution and patience. Trying to get a 50+ legendary combo is very rewarding. Yea its easy to play if you dont care about being perfect, but throw it on a hard difficulty and try to not lose your combo. thats where the game shines.
Agreed, for most of my first playthrough I did not understand the D-pad incentive system, the combo system or Focus. When I learned about the SmartGlass app and starting reading it, I finally started understanding how Ryse was intended to be played. There is a pdf book linked in the companion app that is a coffee table book -- near the end there is some more great information on strategy. Ryse can be as deep or shallow as you want it to be. My sense is that most who reviewed it poorly barely even scratched the surface.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I really wish that digital prices were as cheap as disc prices. Grrr...

Anyway, yes, this game is really underrated. I do not understand what the major "professional" videogame review sites were on about when they scored this game as mediocre. They tried to knock it for not being what they wanted it to be instead of reviewing it fairly for what it set out to be: a gorgeous, cinematic, hack-n-slash game with simple (this is not an insult, it's a compliment) gameplay. Not every game needs complex battle system and input commands to be fun--in fact, I find those games to be annoying (I don't want to have to get a PhD in a game's combat system just to play it; sometimes I just want to pick up a game, enjoy the ride, and press a few buttons along the way). Ryse was the best hack-n-slash game of 2013, no doubt. It was so weird that reviewers chided it for having a simple combat system whereas they praised Dead Rising 3 (and rightfully so, I may add: Dead Rising 3 is the most fun I've had in a game in years) even though it's combat system is just as simple as Ryse's is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3