Xbox One sells 3 million units

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
So, basically in less than 2 months, the XBOX One has equaled the number of WiiU's in the world right?

EDIT: Well, according to vgchartz.com (which is taken with a heavy grain of salt) there are 5.2 million WiiUs in the world... so, Xbox One is still well on the way...

Especially with news that the next Halo will come out at the end of 2014 - that number will jump :).

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah well I wouldn't believe VGCharts on pretty much anything, but I believe "5 million WiiUs sold" is a pretty universal number. So we arnt quite there yet. That said, WiiU has been picking up pace this holiday season and there's some interesting games coming. I'd hope it would actually be able to compete, but we'll see.

And yeah, there's some great console selling games coming out for the Xbox One and I'm sure the off-gaming capabilities will improve greatly within the first year already.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sony sold 4.2 million in the same period. Honestly I'm not surprised given the $100 price difference and the horribly botched launch. Between Adam Oort's "deal with it" and tone-deaf Don Mattrick's answer to people without internet - "buy a XBox 360", I'm shocked it's sold 3 million. I guess kudos to the XBox engineers.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Sony sold 4.2 million in the same period. Honestly I'm not surprised given the $100 price difference and the horribly botched launch. Between Adam Oort's "deal with it" and tone-deaf Don Mattrick's answer to people without internet - "buy a XBox 360", I'm shocked it's sold 3 million. I guess kudos to the XBox engineers.

come on now, most people don't care about that. Only a small minority (and it was mostly ps4 fans) that screamed how the Xbox would fail. The reason they're so far ahead is that they're selling in 3x as many countries.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

At least Microsoft MAKES money per Xbox One sold. :)

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
come on now, most people don't care about that. Only a small minority (and it was mostly ps4 fans) that screamed how the Xbox would fail. The reason they're so far ahead is that they're selling in 3x as many countries.
Xbox Ones are in stock every where and are even going for below retail on ebay. You cannot find pS4s. The demand for PS4 is way higher.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Xbox Ones are in stock every where and are even going for below retail on ebay. You cannot find pS4s. The demand for PS4 is way higher.

While no doubt PS4 is selling more (for it's price and hardware alone), but this is maybe the most common misconception I see.

Lets take some fictional numbers to help. Both companies make.. 100k units a week. MS has to spread these 100k units to the 13 markets they are selling in. Sony apparently is selling in over 40 countries nowadays, so they have to spread em to all of those. It doesn't take much of a math genious to figure out that with MS's strategy, each of the 13 countries gets much more units than in Sony's model.

Also several of the US retailers have publicly said it that they get much bigger restocks and much more often of the Xbox One, while PS4s come fairly small quantity restocks and quite rarely, and this is totally understandable with the other model. There is no way Sony would be able to manufacture so much more consoles than MS that their "shelf availability" would be anywhere near comparable when one is available in 13 markets and the other in 40+ markets.

It's a bit sad in the sense that MS is actually being hurt a bit by their better supply per market. Cos a lot of people make the same wrong conclusion. While, once again, demand for PS4 is probably higher regardless, but this shelf-indicator is not a reliably indicator of it for above reasons. I see people say this a lot and it really annoys me, cos I think what MS did was smart, Sony can't truely handle as many markets as they are in right now. Well, they can, but people are on 3 month backorders for example in my country, simply cos consoles just come in so rare and in small quantities.

EDIT: But technically you are correct.. Demand for PS4 is way higher, as 40+ markets has a lot more buyers than 13 markets. This is if we ignore demand in countries that the device is not being sold in :p But in this case it probably isnt surprising to anyone that 40 is more than 13 :p

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
On the other hand, per unit profitabilty should be higher on Xbox1 as logistic costs will be much lower when compared to 40+markets on PS4.
I know that some owners of PS4 has problems to replace their faulty units, partly due to poor Sony support or no in stock units.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

That is only true in certain regions.

MS made the XB1 available in fewer countries for launch so that they could keep their target markets decently supplied.

Sony went for wider distribution with the knowledge that there would be supply problems.

anon(8032808)

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I believe I also read Microsoft went with the DDR3 Ram instead of the higher GDDR5 RAM sony went with because they believed it would be easier to supply. It's actually paying off as many Xbox's being sold are due to they're being no PS4s available.

The Kinect is the big blunder ...why force an accessory and give your competitor a $100 cheaper product? Makes no sense.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe I also read Microsoft went with the DDR3 Ram instead of the higher GDDR5 RAM sony went with because they believed it would be easier to supply. It's actually paying off as many Xbox's being sold are due to they're being no PS4s available.

The Kinect is the big blunder ...why force an accessory and give your competitor a $100 cheaper product? Makes no sense.

Sony was originally going to include the Move camera and release at the same price as XB1. They changed direction after the public announcement of the XB1 price by MS.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

GDDR5 supply is a very valid concern, but I'm pretty sure the actual reason behind Sony not being able to supply is the fact they're trying to sell in way too many markets. I think they are selling in over 50 areas by now. MS can supply, cos they only need to supply 13 different markets.

As for Kinect, I rather have it come with the console, otherwise it's gonna end up as an accessory that most devs will never support. And I'm not talking about pure Kinect games, but normal games utilizing Kinect for cool little things.

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
PS Camera will struggle the same way as Kinect 1.0 on X360. It was great idea, but its potential was left behind due to fact it wasn't on every single device and developeers not supported it.

With Xbox1, I hope MS will stand by their decision to not sell console without Kinect....

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess there could be a slight chance for multiplats that the effort put into developing Kinect features could be somehow utilized for the PS camera too.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It's not just the camera. I can't imagine playing Need for Speed: Rivals without being able to say, "GPS command post." Voice commands will make games much less tedious to play.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
While no doubt PS4 is selling more (for it's price and hardware alone), but this is maybe the most common misconception I see.

Lets take some fictional numbers to help. Both companies make.. 100k units a week. MS has to spread these 100k units to the 13 markets they are selling in. Sony apparently is selling in over 40 countries nowadays, so they have to spread em to all of those. It doesn't take much of a math genious to figure out that with MS's strategy, each of the 13 countries gets much more units than in Sony's model.

Also several of the US retailers have publicly said it that they get much bigger restocks and much more often of the Xbox One, while PS4s come fairly small quantity restocks and quite rarely, and this is totally understandable with the other model. There is no way Sony would be able to manufacture so much more consoles than MS that their "shelf availability" would be anywhere near comparable when one is available in 13 markets and the other in 40+ markets.

It's a bit sad in the sense that MS is actually being hurt a bit by their better supply per market. Cos a lot of people make the same wrong conclusion. While, once again, demand for PS4 is probably higher regardless, but this shelf-indicator is not a reliably indicator of it for above reasons. I see people say this a lot and it really annoys me, cos I think what MS did was smart, Sony can't truely handle as many markets as they are in right now. Well, they can, but people are on 3 month backorders for example in my country, simply cos consoles just come in so rare and in small quantities.

EDIT: But technically you are correct.. Demand for PS4 is way higher, as 40+ markets has a lot more buyers than 13 markets. This is if we ignore demand in countries that the device is not being sold in :p But in this case it probably isnt surprising to anyone that 40 is more than 13 :p

This. We all know the PS4 is selling better right now. But it has more markets to sell to and Sony seems to be shipping few units. My local Gamestop was very very strict on pushing an Xbox One to a next Gen customer, when the customer was firm on his PS4 they told him he'll have to order online or be out on a waiting list since they haven't received a PS4 in "weeks". That's bad marketing.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

It makes A LOT of sense.

Because when it's built-in it is many times more likely to be used by developers. The extra functionality can be a big differentiator, but only if it's used.
It's a long-term play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077