Titanfall beta registration

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify - this is an invitation to ALPHA test Titanfall ;). Or as the complete page says 'a code for an EA title will be sent to you if you are selected..." or something like that...

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Nothing has been officially announced by anyone. To call anything an Alpha (or Beta) at this point, less then 60 days before release is silly. I hate how these demos or server stress tests keep getting called Beta's when they clearly are not.

Either way, if your interested usually the sooner you sign up the better chance you get to get an invite.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I think you have to have gotten the email to get in?

EDIT: Nope...I qualify and I didn't get an email! But I did have a pre-existing Origin account.

But this isn't for the Beta; I think it is pretty obvious it is for a CHANCE at Alpha testing.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Nothing has been officially announced by anyone. To call anything an Alpha (or Beta) at this point, less then 60 days before release is silly. I hate how these demos or server stress tests keep getting called Beta's when they clearly are not.

Either way, if your interested usually the sooner you sign up the better chance you get to get an invite.

So are you saying Alpha/Beta testing needs to happen later (closer to release) or sooner than 60 days?

Obviously the gameplay has been in alpha testing for months already (in house, locked down), they have talked about that in their official releases and have even made changes based on the feedback.

But I don't see how you can say that their first test of the game on their MP servers isn't a server alpha test?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
To me an alpha or a beta is used to take feed back on gameplay, mechanics, environments, bugs, etc. Something this close to release can be nothing but testing the networking side of things. For a march 11th release the game will have to go gold in less then 30 days. Even with a day 1 patch, changing anything with the mechanics of the game would take too much time.

This is only to test their servers to make sure they are ready to go on launch day. Nothing more.

Having worked on actual beta's and even pre-announcement projects. These are not "betas" to me.

I've been expecting this for a while. This being the first game on Xbox Live to use dedicated servers (bf4 is still peer to peer right? i know COD is), and an online only game. Not having a server stress test would be very risky.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
No, all battlefield 4 is dedicated servers (as was BF3 as well I believe). Of course, it uses EA's dedicated servers, but I think Titanfall is using Microsoft's XBOX Live servers...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
No, all battlefield 4 is dedicated servers (as was BF3 as well I believe). Of course, it uses EA's dedicated servers, but I think Titanfall is using Microsoft's XBOX Live servers...

yeah, Titanfall is suppose to be the first game to use those 300,000 dedicated Xbox servers (aside from Forza 5 a little).

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
To me an alpha or a beta is used to take feed back on gameplay, mechanics, environments, bugs, etc. Something this close to release can be nothing but testing the networking side of things. For a march 11th release the game will have to go gold in less then 30 days. Even with a day 1 patch, changing anything with the mechanics of the game would take too much time.

This is only to test their servers to make sure they are ready to go on launch day. Nothing more.

Having worked on actual beta's and even pre-announcement projects. These are not "betas" to me.

It is NEVER too late to change the game play in this day and age. Example: Forza 5. They completely changed the game play a month into the game's life cycle! Made cars MUCH cheaper, made earning money MUCH easier, thus changing the way that everything is earned and unlocked and changing the whole experience.

They didn't change how cars go around in circles, but they changed the whole game. In the same way, they aren't going to change how guns go BANG in Titanfall, but changing the unlocks and leveling system completely changes the experience.

Obviously people constantly confuse the terms (even you put in the title it was a Beta just to catch people's attention as EVERYONE has heard the term Beta testing) but I think you are hung up on the Alpha testing of the deep innards of the game and the later testing (Alpha again) of the leveling, unlocks and servers.

I think they do these tests to show that people can't instantly exploit the system and it allows them to restart everyone's stats if something DOES go wrong without the whole world throwing a b*tch fit. The only reason people didn't throw a fit about Forza was because they didn't make anything harder; only easier.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
on Titanfallgame's twitter feed, an individual contacted EA Support to verify this wasn't a scam (they said it wasn't) and that codes could go out on Friday (tomorrow...)

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Unless you get an e-mail inviting you to the test you wont be getting in. A Open "beta" is not out of the question, but at the current time its a closed invite only situation.

Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up.

You may delete the thread.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Unless you get an e-mail inviting you to the test you wont be getting in. A Open "beta" is not out of the question, but at the current time its a closed invite only situation.

What do you mean? I didn't get the email but I still got the notification on their website that I was 'approved' although I did not receive the codes that were supposedly coming out today.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
from

Respawn Entertainment forum • View topic - Common Alpha Questions

Hey everyone,

I know there is a lot of confusion over this right now. We ARE NOT running a beta at the moment. We're doing some very limited technical testing (Alpha. If you have not been invited via email and signed a very comprehensive NDA, you cannot access it. I cannot get you in. Don't be upset, most people are not going to be playing in this and the ones that are can't talk about it, stream, post video, etc. We understand the desire for a Beta and we have not ruled it out but I don't have any news on it for you currently. Thank you for your understanding!

Abbie

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess it pays to stick with BF4 :).

Whatever it is that I may or may not be playing... man is it fun... March will not disappoint with MechDescent ;)

If you have not ordered it ahead of time. Just go ahead and do it... for whatever it is that comes out in less than two months...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear that this MechDescent you have played is fun!

I have a little problem though.. my finnish preorder comes with Titanfall, but big chances are that said preorder wont be delivered anywhere near march.. I could try if they would deliver just Titanfall to be ahead of time, but I doubt it.. although they do typically stop some of the big games even without the consoles being around (to cater to importers). Or then I could just buy Titanfall again and sell the other copy I get later on. Besides, I did wish that I'd get Titanfall as digital, cos it's likely a game I want to keep and not have to mess with discs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo