Amazon buys Double Helix. Future of Killer Instinct in question.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I hope Amazon continues to support Killer Instinct but one has to look no further than Amazon's relatively poor Windows 8/Phone apps to see that Amazon isn't a huge Microsoft supporter. I know it sounds alarmist but there's already rumors that Amazon is building its own game console. Hopefully this is the start of an Amazon game studio and they will continue to support KI on the Xbox One. Still, I could just as easily see Amazon dropping support to focus on their own hardware, maybe even cloud game streaming. I was hoping to grab KI when I get a Xbox One next month along with Titanfall. Now I'm not sure. I wanna see how this shakes out.

Oh, and I plan on getting a Xbox One next month. :grin:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think Amazon could probably do a great job with games, since they already are terrific with music/movies/books. I buy all of my music from Amazon.

If Amazon adds games to Amazon Prime, I think a lot more people would subscribe to Prime, even if the prices are raised. Amazon is killer with its content already, and the free shipping is an added bonus.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft owns Killer Instinct. They inherited it when they bought the original owners of the intellectual property that is Killer Instinct many years ago: a development company called Rare. Microsoft merely outsourced the development of Killer Instinct for Xbox One to Double Helix games. They didn't sell Killer Instinct to Double Helix. So, this purchase by Amazon will have no bearing on Killer Instinct. For peace of mind, Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft Studios, who published Killer Instinct, already stated on Twitter that they are prepared for this transition and that Killer Instinct will continue onward as a franchise, and that he believes strongly in the franchise (as he should, the current Xbox One release is the best fighting game I've played since 1999).

However, I do wish it wouldn't have happened. Double Helix did a great job with Killer Instinct (you'll see when you get your Xbox One next month; Titanfall will also be boss but be sure to check out Dead Rising 3 too), and I was hoping Microsoft would scoop them up. Now their talents will be wasted making mobile games for the worst operating system on the planet: Android.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm aware that MS owns the Killer Instinct IP. My fear is that the new dev won't be able to replicate what DH has created. DH had a vision and a clear understanding of what they wanted KI to be. It will be hard for this new dev to duplicate what DH has already started. Hopefully some core members stick behind to help guide the new KI team.

Last edited:

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Lots of people had the same fears when the duty to develop Halo transitioned from Bungie to 343 Industries, but 343 did a great job on Halo 4.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think some Bungie vets did stay behind to help 343. Hopefully the same happens here. We might even get a better game because of it. Time will tell.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm aware that MS owns the Killer Instinct IP. My fear is that the new dev won't be able to replicate what DH has created. DH had a vision and a clear understanding of what they wanted KI to be. It will be hard for this new dev to duplicate what DH has already started. Hopefully some core members stick behind to help guide the new KI team.

I really wish Microsoft had bought Double Helix games as well. I'm sure they're kicking themselves already for not doing it and letting them go to Amazon (I don't think anyone saw that coming). But, it seems that Phil Spencer believes the game will be all right. This is what Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft Studios, said on Twitter after fans freaked out about it:
"Our internal KI team is still here and [the] franchise is in good hands. We had a plan in place for this transition."
"From the beginning KI was driven by a strong internal team including [Ken Lobb, who is still at Microsoft Studios], that's how we'll continue."
"Without specific contract details I'll just say I'm confident in our ability to keep building KI."

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Lots of people had the same fears when the duty to develop Halo transitioned from Bungie to 343 Industries, but 343 did a great job on Halo 4.

1. 343 possessed a lot of Bungie people.
2. Halo 4's multiplayer left a LOT to be desired, when compared to the Bungie experience.

343 did a fine job on the campaign, but the multiplayer wasn't all that great. Heck, as much as I liked the campaign, the ending was actually rather crappy, the way you did basically nothing but a terrible sequence of QTEs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes