Konami confirms MGS5 720p on Xbox One and 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
At times, it is hardly noticeable, yes, but it is really bad press that this keeps happening. You do have to realize that Microsoft needs to improve this before the Xbox One gets even WORSE of a rep than it is now.

The real problem of course is that it's "cool" to hate on Microsoft. Sony made some absolute jerks of themselves in the PS3 days, which didn't exactly enamor me to them, even though I'd bought their consoles in the past.

The thing a lot of us miss, is these guys are practically neighbors with Nintendo's US branch. And generally the companies are on friendly enough terms that Microsoft has even developed for Nintendo. This means that in the field of gaming, Microsoft is FAR more likely to think like Nintendo than Sony.

What Microsoft needs to do is play their strengths. Frankly, I like my multimedia station in the living room that handles so much of everything that I hardly ever have to dig for the remote anymore. I also find it hard to count Microsoft out after Penny-Arcade's Titanfall comic strip.

I can only say it so many times in so many ways. There's more to all of this than stuffing hardware in a box. If it's all about pure power, why is Nintendo still around? I don't think this is something that's going to play out overnight. The Xbox One is intended to be a multitasking monster, while the PS4 is a dedicated machine. It's like comparing a DS to an iPhone. There are comparisons that can be made and there's definitely a few market fights to be had, but in the end we're talking about devices that have two different focuses.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
As much as you guys keep saying "720p is fine", it isn't for Microsoft. Games like Ghosts and BF4 are 720p (it's 1080p and 968p or whatever for ps4), but not that much of a difference. But this game, many say and feel that the X1 versions looks exactly like the PS3 and X360 version, while the PS4 version looks stunning. Keep being in denial thinking that the X1 is on par, heck sometimes better in performance, but it's not. That stupid eRAM and DDR3 (compared to GDDR5), and so much power to the Kinect, makes performance decrease.

Microsoft needs to fix this.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Anti-MS articles sure are a dime a dozen and quick to make it to the headlines. Yet when Battlefield on PS4 had frame rate drops galore, those articles were few and far between. Shocker.

MS has loads of cloud servers available for developers to use to offload some of the processing needs of their games. I wonder why they're not using it? Maybe they don't know how yet?

In regards to looks for me as a gamer, 1080p is a want, but not a necessity. So much more goes into making a good game. A good example is Skyrim. While it had inferior graphics, distance rendering, and scaling when it was released during the swan song of the last gen consoles, it was one of the best games I played during that 7 or 8 year span.

Also remember when all the bad press was about MS not giving enough support for Indie games? MS had a 1st yr lineup that looked better than Sony's, but the narrative became about Indie games and the importance of "game play" over the graphical polish of big budget games.

Now, people want slightly better resolution (never mind that it's still the same poly counts on the 3D models, limiting how smooth they can look). They don't care about the game play innovation that can come with the extra input methods allowed by Kinect.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Also remember when all the bad press was about MS not giving enough support for Indie games? MS had a 1st yr lineup that looked better than Sony's, but the narrative became about Indie games and the importance of "game play" over the graphical polish of big budget games.

Now, people want slightly better resolution (never mind that it's still the same poly counts on the 3D models, limiting how smooth they can look). They don't care about the game play innovation that can come with the extra input methods allowed by Kinect.

Which makes the 720p/1080p arguments so crazy. The PS4 is more powerful (that's a fact) but most of their games in the pipeline are indie games where that doesn't even matter...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Which makes the 720p/1080p arguments so crazy. The PS4 is more powerful (that's a fact) but most of their games in the pipeline are indie games where that doesn't even matter...

For this game though, they put the X360, PS3, X1, and PS4 versions side by side, and the X1 looked pretty much the same as the PS3 and X360, but the PS4 looks MUCH better. PS4 is much better at processing games, for the players and developers.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
For this game though, they put the X360, PS3, X1, and PS4 versions side by side, and the X1 looked pretty much the same as the PS3 and X360, but the PS4 looks MUCH better. PS4 is much better at processing games, for the players and developers.

Really? We must have seen different pictures. I couldn't tell a difference with PS3 and 360, nor could I really tell it between PS4 and X1. Obviously like 360 to PS4 it was noticeable, but that's about it fo rme.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Really? We must have seen different pictures. I couldn't tell a difference with PS3 and 360, nor could I really tell it between PS4 and X1. Obviously like 360 to PS4 it was noticeable, but that's about it fo rme.

My friend who is an avid Xbox gamer told me this.

I'm not trying to say Xbox is bad, I love it, but we can't just be slightly below par. We need to be above it. I'm tired of all of us saying "Oh, it doesnt matter", and blah blah. It does, in ways that not all customers understand.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I watched the video too, there still isn't that much of a difference. It's there, but I think "seeing how much more powerful the PS4 is", all it really shows that it really isnt all that much more powerful if the difference isn't bigger than that.

And still, Ryse looks better than this or any other game on PS4 :p

That said, I do think the developers are capable of getting "above the bar", there are games that have done that on X1. Multiplats just arn't the greatest showpiece of that kinda thing, as they likely don't want to see the extra amount of work optimizing like studios working on exclusives would. Then I also think many devs overlook the possibility of going something other than 720p or 1080p. I think the 900p option seems pretty good. It's considerably better than 720p, but not quite as demanding as 1080p. Ryse is 900p, Titanfall said that they're aiming for 900p for launch, Thief is 900p, I would hope that this becomes more common. In the end I don't care about 720p at my usual viewing distance, but for a few rounds of Titanfall I moved a bit closer and it was visible there, but I don't think 40" TVs are meant to be watched from 1m anyways :p Obviously, more the merrier, but it won't make or break a damn thing (at least for me) even if it's not 1080p.

I hope MGS is better optimized for PS4 than TR: Definite Edition was. The free pass PS4 got for "running 60 fps" in that game is a bit silly, cos it didn't even hold a near constant 60 fps :p So yes, while PS4 is more powerful than Xbox One, no doubt, that too struggles to do 1080p/60fps.

Last edited:

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
eSRAM has a lot of potential for optimization but requires additional investment. Developers dont want to invest into this when developing for cross platform.

Because of this they are putting out sub-par games on the X1 and bad press happens.

Bad press means bad sales and thats fine because it will have bad sales towards their gaming crowd. Microsoft needs to play off of their multitasking and apps on the X1 to boost sales from the crowds that aren't gamers but like multimedia entertainment.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
eSRAM has a lot of potential for optimization but requires additional investment. Developers dont want to invest into this when developing for cross platform.

Because of this they are putting out sub-par games on the X1 and bad press happens.

Bad press means bad sales and thats fine because it will have bad sales towards their gaming crowd. Microsoft needs to play off of their multitasking and apps on the X1 to boost sales from the crowds that aren't gamers but like multimedia entertainment.

Are yyou seriously suggesting that MS shouldn't be too concerned about the gaming crowd in regards to the Xbox One? At the end of the day, is still a gaming machine. And if I'm gonna be honest, I can't think of the average Joe that is gonna plunk down $500 (and pay an additional $40-$60 for a Gold subscription) just to Skype or watch Netflix when they can do it with hardware they probably already have (PC's, cellphones) or with cheaper devices (a Roku or some similar media device) respectively.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
1. The PS4 (on paper) is more powerful. Get over it.

2. Numerous developers have already stated that the SDK for the Xbox One needs improving. And according to the dev team at Rebellion, the SDK update is either coming or has gone live already. The upcoming improvements should, according to Rebellion, solve the 1080p issue in future games. Unfortunately, it does nothing for the games currently in the pipeline such as MGS5.

3. The Xbox One version is likely being coded by a separate team much like how Titanfall on the 360 is being coded by a separate team. Unless you seriously believe that the same team is coding for all four systems at once...

4. These systems have only been on the shelf for a couple of months and will likely be on the shelf for the next decade. A much more fair comparison would be in 3-4 years, past both systems necessary SDK improvements and once developers can truly take advantage of both consoles.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Are yyou seriously suggesting that MS shouldn't be too concerned about the gaming crowd in regards to the Xbox One? At the end of the day, is still a gaming machine. And if I'm gonna be honest, I can't think of the average Joe that is gonna plunk down $500 (and pay an additional $40-$60 for a Gold subscription) just to Skype or watch Netflix when they can do it with hardware they probably already have (PC's, cellphones) or with cheaper devices (a Roku or some similar media device) respectively.

I don't think that's what he's suggesting. Of course MS will still focus on gaming, but they can't get caught up in these little spec wars that are defined in ways they can't win.

Instead, MS should change the conversation on their strengths and differentiators.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I prefer being on the less popular option honestly. I dont feel crippled at all by the things you described. This thing only costs $500. I dont know how anyone can expect crazy specs when my cell phone costs more, my GPU(s) in my computer cost more, my mobo/processor cost more, my student loan payments costs more. While $500 is not a little bit of money, its not a lot either.

Consoles are the quick easy and cheaper way of gaming. And i fully expect Xbox 2 to be released in 2017 or 2018, followed by xbox 3 in 2021. We are not going to see another 10 year console cycle IMHO.

"Cheaper" dies really quickly with consoles, though. A solid PC will be about $1,000. However, games are more-plentiful and often cheaper on PC, and the online play is free. So while the Xbox One will be $500 cheaper at the start, it then adds $60/year for online gaming, and probably $10-20 more per-game, on average. I'd say that within 5 years, the costs have balanced out. On top of that, after the initial build of your PC, it's cheaper to upgrade things. While you might have to buy a whole new console in 5 years (if your theory is right), it'll only take about $400 to upgrade your PC to keep up with the newer games.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
2. Numerous developers have already stated that the SDK for the Xbox One needs improving. And according to the dev team at Rebellion, the SDK update is either coming or has gone live already. The upcoming improvements should, according to Rebellion, solve the 1080p issue in future games. Unfortunately, it does nothing for the games currently in the pipeline such as MGS5.

Being that Forza has already dropped multiple 500mb+ updates, there's no reason why these games can't be updated at a later date. Games always get updated after they've been released, there is no reason why it should stop now.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I watched the video too, there still isn't that much of a difference. It's there, but I think "seeing how much more powerful the PS4 is", all it really shows that it really isnt all that much more powerful if the difference isn't bigger than that.

And still, Ryse looks better than this or any other game on PS4 :p

That said, I do think the developers are capable of getting "above the bar", there are games that have done that on X1. Multiplats just arn't the greatest showpiece of that kinda thing, as they likely don't want to see the extra amount of work optimizing like studios working on exclusives would. Then I also think many devs overlook the possibility of going something other than 720p or 1080p. I think the 900p option seems pretty good. It's considerably better than 720p, but not quite as demanding as 1080p. Ryse is 900p, Titanfall said that they're aiming for 900p for launch, Thief is 900p, I would hope that this becomes more common. In the end I don't care about 720p at my usual viewing distance, but for a few rounds of Titanfall I moved a bit closer and it was visible there, but I don't think 40" TVs are meant to be watched from 1m anyways :p Obviously, more the merrier, but it won't make or break a damn thing (at least for me) even if it's not 1080p.

I hope MGS is better optimized for PS4 than TR: Definite Edition was. The free pass PS4 got for "running 60 fps" in that game is a bit silly, cos it didn't even hold a near constant 60 fps :p So yes, while PS4 is more powerful than Xbox One, no doubt, that too struggles to do 1080p/60fps.

I love Ryse! That was one of my Day One games that I bought! So...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I don't like what they did with eSRAM, because if the developers need to spend more time and money to develop for something that they wouldn't need to if Microsoft chose something else, that just makes it worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo