MSDN Blogs

Look the logos at the bottom...
    03-07-2014 03:30 PM
    Good, hopefully it'll help close the gap to PS4.
    03-07-2014 03:56 PM
    Good, hopefully it'll help close the gap to PS4.
    Close the gap? You mean make it further? ;)
    03-07-2014 04:14 PM
    What is DirectX12? In a nutshell?
    03-07-2014 04:18 PM
    What is DirectX12? In a nutshell?
    You've got internet access, right?
    03-07-2014 04:30 PM
    You've got internet access, right?
    Sorry teacher i will go research this thing they call DirectX12. These forums can be very dry lighten up!
    03-07-2014 05:53 PM
    It's a graphics API.

It will probably be most helpful to Indie devs.
    BIGPADDY and Marty Larsson like this.
    03-07-2014 06:07 PM
    It's a graphics API.

Aww cool can only be a really good thing then :-)
    03-07-2014 06:49 PM
    It's a graphics API.

No, it is "THE" API, all developers are using DirectX on Xbox One because it is the only supported API, not only indies. And DirectX is not a "graphics" API, it is the system API, Direct3D for 3D rendering, DirectGraphics for 2D, DirectInput for controller processing, DirectPlay for network managment, DirectSound and DirectMusic for sounds, DirectCompute for GPGPU.

Anyway, DirectX is the PC (Windows) most used API for gaming, this mean that PC developers will port their games to Xbox One easily.
    03-07-2014 09:21 PM
    Sorry teacher i will go research this thing they call DirectX12. These forums can be very dry lighten up!
    No need to apologize to anyone but yourself. With a question like that on a consumer forum like this, you are just setting yourself up to be misinformed and you'll also have to deal with conflicting answers. I don't care about the quality of the answers you get. I already know the answer. I thought you might care though.

Anyway, Xpiders answer is good. Reflexx probably answered after a sleepless night at a rave party (sorry Reflexx, we've all had those days).
    Last edited by a5cent; 03-07-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Marty Larsson likes this.
    03-07-2014 09:57 PM
    No, it is "THE" API, all developers are using DirectX on Xbox One because it is the only supported API, not only indies. And DirectX is not a "graphics" API, it is the system API, Direct3D for 3D rendering, DirectGraphics for 2D, DirectInput for controller processing, DirectPlay for network managment, DirectSound and DirectMusic for sounds, DirectCompute for GPGPU.

Anyway, DirectX is the PC (Windows) most used API for gaming, this mean that PC developers will port their games to Xbox One easily.
    But large dev houses aren't likely using the API. The XB1 has standardized hardware, so devs will code directly to hardware to get peak performance.

Well... now that I think about it... maybe you're right about multi-platform devs. Especially in the early years.
    03-07-2014 10:25 PM
    But large dev houses aren't likely using the API. The XB1 has standardized hardware, so devs will code directly to hardware to get peak performance.
    They all use the DirectX API. Hardware optimization is not done in that way anymore.
    03-07-2014 10:45 PM
    I don't know if you know it but Xbox One uses virtualization, coding to the metal is not allowed.
    03-07-2014 11:29 PM
    We'll see what it means at the end of the day. If the X1 can use it, so can the PS4. Both the graphics processors are based on AMD's GCN architecture. Also kinda sad... AMD might use this as an excuse to keep on with GCN in face of the new Nvidia Maxwell chips.
    03-08-2014 07:40 PM
    We'll see what it means at the end of the day. If the X1 can use it, so can the PS4. Both the graphics processors are based on AMD's GCN architecture. Also kinda sad... AMD might use this as an excuse to keep on with GCN in face of the new Nvidia Maxwell chips.
    "Based" on the same architecture not mean they are identical or that any company has not implemented a customization.
    03-08-2014 09:21 PM
    I don't know if you know it but Xbox One uses virtualization, coding to the metal is not allowed.
    Ah.

Well, it's no wonder then that these early games are under performing graphically. But it also means that there is a lot that can be improved.
    03-09-2014 12:36 AM
    It's my understanding the PS4 uses OpenGL not DirectX. Its possible they use some type of wrapper to code DirectX to OpenGL for the PS4. I am hoping once things are optimized for the esram the gap will be closed quite a bit between the consoles. They really shouldn't be that different.
    03-09-2014 11:28 AM
    It's my understanding the PS4 uses OpenGL not DirectX. Its possible they use some type of wrapper to code DirectX to OpenGL for the PS4. I am hoping once things are optimized for the esram the gap will be closed quite a bit between the consoles. They really shouldn't be that different.
    I think Sony uses a proprietary API.
    03-09-2014 01:01 PM
    It's my understanding the PS4 uses OpenGL not DirectX.
    Neither. The PS4 has two API's. One sits just above the driver, so it operates at a lower level than DirectX and OpenGL. The other is a proprietary API that is conceptually comparable to the two standard graphics API's, but still different (I don't recall what they call it).

On a side note, XB1 doesn't really use DirectX either. Although it's similar, much of what is usually in the DirectX software has been ripped out, particularly everything that abstracts away differences in hardware (because this version of DirectX will only ever have one hardware configuration to contend with). In that sense, the XB1's implementation of DirectX also "sits" a lot closer to the hardware than standard DirectX does, actually, similar to AMD's mantle.
    03-09-2014 02:38 PM
    Confirmed, Xbox One supports DirectX 12. 2015 is the release date for PC.
    03-20-2014 02:06 PM