The Official Titanfall Thread

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I just a had a great match. I was first concerned when I saw 3 of the opposing team be in the same clan and our team was completely random. I think I went like 15 and 0 on pilot kills with a handful of Titan kills (using a Stryder with Chaingun) and obviously minion kills. I didnt record any of it though cos most of the stuff happened individually and single kills need something quite special to be worth recording :D

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Reached Generation 3! Generation 2 took a total of 13 hours and Generation 1 took a total of 11 hours so roughly 12 hours a Gen! (played a total of 24 hours) This is amazing! Heading for a third of the way through Generation 3 tonight and will finish off on Monday (off of work) then hopefully I can make my next weekend off be a Gen 5 weekend!!!

Also while I'm at work please enjoy this 30 second clip of my doing Flagish things. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYK0r2b8uGI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

DrensolX

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
The embargo on Titanfall has been lifted - its getting some pretty stellar reviews so far :).

Polygon - 9/10
Joystiq - 4.5/5 stars
Eurogamer - score to be updated once game is 'live' on public servers, but they do share some thoughts on playing the game so far...
Kotaku - Same as Eurogamer.net. They're 'final' review will be posted in the next few days to see how servers shake out...

Metacritic's site of all reviews they've seen so far...

Its a good game... not quite a 9/10 I think... but very good :)

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I made a fool of myself for the first time in Titanfall today. Took me a bit before I was like "Oooooh, you're supposed to capture control points."

However, I have to say for a console shooter, the controls were very intuitive and smooth. It's not and never will be "PC Master Race". But it's pretty darn good.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Man, I think I'm getting old. I used to be pretty damn good at console shooters, but have not played a TON online since Halo 3. I'm mostly an offline guy.

Now I seem to be just average. I get some pilot kills, get some Titan kills each round, but that's it. Maybe at 38 I need to start looking at turned based RPG games. Hahaha.

I need Flagz to train me!

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think my main problem is I've been playing too much RTS games. I hold my own in titanfall, but i think Xbox Live thinks im better then i actually am. Keeps putting me with all the tryhards.

My COD4: Modern Warfare team never lost tho, and we would talk crap to you the whole time :p

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
After watching/reading multiple reviews and impressions about this game, I believe this review hits the spot. It may be a bit too long but he (reviewer) nails the good stuff and the bad stuff in Titanfall unlike big names such as IGN, Gamespot and Rev3Games (Adam Sessler). Watch it if you have time.

Titanfall Angry Review - YouTube

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think my main problem is I've been playing too much RTS games. I hold my own in titanfall, but i think Xbox Live thinks im better then i actually am. Keeps putting me with all the tryhards.

My COD4: Modern Warfare team never lost tho, and we would talk crap to you the whole time :p

I'm an RTS guy too. My dream is a Total War game being ported to the XBone.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The Titanfall Experience from a ex eSports competitor!

2w6w401.jpg

Please note, this whole piece is my OPINION and I am very, very opinionated.

The Mini Review
Ahh the game is finally released. Possibly one of the most publicized games has finally released and its a breathe of fresh air. The dreaming, to the concept, became the beta, and the beta evolved and gave us this. For better or worse, I'm just glad the game is out and the wait is over with. Most people before purchasing the game or playing the beta knew what they were getting into. All players will play as a Pilot as you traverse the map with your Highly accurate (at times) parkour skills. You can wall run, double jump, and ride ziplines (down and up) all thanks to your handy jump kit. All this can be chained together to create a seamless experience that has you feeling like a real life superhero.

You play as a Pilot and have the ability to create your own loadout after you reach a designated level, and can have up to 5 loadouts. Within the loadouts you have the ability to change and customize your primary, secondary and anti-titan weapons, your tactical ability, ordnance, and a two tier kit. With this setup you can create your own class from a keep-it-calm sniper to an aggressive slayer. The loadout system is similar to Call of Duty, play to gain experience which in turn helps you gain levels, gain higher levels to get better items. This system works, but leaves a lot to be desired from a competitive community. The weapons though are balanced with some people preferring to stick to the original rifle, the R-101C Carbine.

For the less skilled, or players who wish to grind for more XP and less Titan-time, there are also two forms of AI. The Grunts and the Spectres. These AI are referred to as "Minions" on the scoreboard and can actually help you and your team gain an edge on the competition! The AI in this game isn't the brightest, but it gives a lot to the new players on the block. Killing a Minion can score you one Attrition point per kill during an Attrition match. They also gain you small amounts of time towards your Titan buildup. Minions spawn either by drop ship or drop pod, and continue to spawn the entire game. Grunt are the lower tier, easy to take out and spawn more frequently. Spectres are slightly tougher and require more shots to kill, but they spawn less frequently. The Minions might not be strong, but you'll find them taking you out ever so often. Overall the AI creates an image of war in this game and makes the environment feel more alive than anything else. You'll constantly find them talking about Pilots and Titans and occasionally in a battle of their own.

The biggest addition to an FPS that this game adds is the, of course, Titans. A Titan is a 20 foot Mech that every player can call in after an allotted time. You can shrink the allotted by gaining attrition point for kills enemies (be it Minions or Pilots), hacking Spectres, making successful hits on Minions and Pilots. The Titan just like the Pilot can be customized. You can change the Chassis of your Titan and each have unique advantages and core abilities that you can activate after a set time. The Atlas is the middle ground, containing two dashes, semi fast with enough shields to last in battle. The Atlas special ability is damage core, which does increased damage for a limited time. The Stryder is the fastest with three dashes to boot, but you can be taken down easily by a Skilled Pilot/Titan. The Stryder special ability is dash core, which allows you unlimited dash for a limited time. The big ole Ogre is the slowest of the three with only one dash, but you can also take a lot more damage then the two former. The Ogre special ability is Shield core which give you a bonus shield. You can also change the weapon, tactical ability, ordnance, and the two tier kit for each Titan loadout.

The game contains an XP based progression system which any fan of a recent shooter will be familiar with. The actual levels go from 1 to 50 and you can complete challenges that give XP bonuses to get your there. The higher the level, the more equipment and weapons you gain. This is enticing and makes you want to reach level 50 at least once. After your reach level 50 your given the choice to "regenerate" which is the equivalent to the prestige system of Call of Duty, and gain a small emblem by your rank to boot. The only difference is after you regenerate the first time to Generation 2, you then have to complete specific challenges to regenerate to Generation 3 and up. Some of these challenges can be simple, and some can be extremely difficult. Overall this entices players to continue playing and working toward a consistent goal.

Speaking of challenges the game also has a second unique feature, Burn Cards! Each Pilot gains a deck of cards overtime from reaching certain goals and challenges. There are also rare card you can earn from completing all 5 tiers of an entire challenge or other goals. I'm not to sure on how to earn each card, but I know after every game I have at least on or two more. These cards will give you a special ability for the ONE life that you use it, but you can only use a burn card once then it's gone until you earn others. The abilities range from being able to call in a Titan immediately, being able to use certain more powerful (amped) weapons, getting double or more XP per kill/hit, or having stronger abilities/core abilities as a Pilot/Titan.

All of the maps in Titanfall do a good job feeling connected with each other due to the in game billboards, signs, and structures. Each map though feels and plays differently, which gives you a sense of a fresh start every game. Respawn did a good job with making the environments feel like they belong with the Pilots and Titans. The real challenge was making the map work for both the Pilots and Titans without giving one of the other a specific edge. This is accomplished by making some areas and paths off-limits due to the small nature of the corridors and ceilings. The titan can't see into some of these areas, making then only be able to shoot a blind shot and hope for the best.

The campaign leaves a lot to be desired as it's really just re-wrapped multiplayer. The "Classic" online gameplay is excellent at what it does. In my eyes there hasn't been a game this entertaining in YEARS. The playlist give us some familiar gametypes. Not going to get too in depth, but here's the list.

Attrition: Any kills counts towards points. Pilots are 4 attrition points, and minions are 1. Not sure about the rest, but basically everything counts for something.
Pilot Hunter: Only Pilots count towards kills, but minions still count toward build time for Titans. Pilots are worth 1 point.
Hardpoint: Capture the hardpoints to win, 3 hardpoints on map. Each team spawns close to one and works toward the "B" hardpoint. The more you control the faster you gain time.
Capture the Flag: Capture the enemies flag, and prevent them from capturing yours. Flag must be home to score. This gametype has two rounds, with a MAX cap of 3 flags per round.
Last Titan Standing: You spawn in a Titan and only get one life. All Titans must be eliminated to start a new round and the first team to win four rounds claims victory. Only Titans must be killed.
Variety Pack: A playlist with a mixture of the other 5 playlist.

Tips and Tricks from an eSports Veteran
The Key to winning is to knowing what you have to pay attention to. Here's some key tips that I took home from the BETA, and more will be coming soon!

1) Reflex: This is straightforward, who can react the quickest, not really sure how to help you improve this, but you can offset this by Playing smart, utilizing your awareness, movement and knowledge of maps. The smarter player usually always wins.

2) Knowledge: Being knowledgeable of the weapons, abilities, maps and the other players. Be aware of what weapons they use, and how they play. Be familiar with the map and only stay around places you feel comfortable. Know what abilities and burn cards to use (prosthetic legs at the start to get to a viable position). Know the map, your weapon, and your opponent in order to stay ahead.

3) Awareness: Be aware of your surroundings, sounds, AI chatter, teammates, and the minimap. The Surroundings can tell you a lot about the game (smoke from grenades, direction of bullets) so its good to stay aware. Sounds and AI chatter are unquestionably beneficial. They can tell you if the enemy is closing in or if a Pilot is nearby. Grenade, bullet ricochets, and other sounds will help aide in where the action is at, and can help you find an escape route to slide into a prime position.

4) Movement: This is one of the biggest factors in this game. With all the wall runs and double jumps, the maps are both very easy yet very complex to navigate. The average Joe player can maneuver obviously, but more seasoned players can navigate to a greater degree. Movement doesn't only mean jumps and trick jumps, it also means knowing how to stay in a key position. The camo ability can greatly assist in helping control these positions, but ultimately the key spots will be decided by the gameplay currently developing in each match. Stay alive, stay surrounded by teammates and keep moving to avoid being spotted.

5) Accuracy: Aim for the chest and let the recoil slide up. Best way IMO. Low Sensitivity for me but I know players with 15.2 K/D that's play on highest.

And well, that's it! I'm going to be updating this with a guide and more videos in the near future, and if you have questions just ask!

Last edited:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: The Titanfall Experience from a ex eSports competitor!

Excellent run down of Titanfall! Not just that, but you're excellent at Titanfall too. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs