The Official Titanfall Thread

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I can't be the only one who thinks it would be epic to have an all WPCentral private match where we can all talk crap and blow each other up? :)

Particle Wall, eh? You know I've never used it. I've always been a vortex shield guy. I need to give that a try.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't be the only one who thinks it would be epic to have an all WPCentral private match where we can all talk crap and blow each other up? :)

Particle Wall, eh? You know I've never used it. I've always been a vortex shield guy. I need to give that a try.

I typically use Vortex Shield too. Although I do miss Electric Smoke when I'm against good anti-titan pilots. Getting out to remove the rodeo-hero is probably the single most dangerous thing in the game for me. The reason for Particle Wall is in the charging nature of Arc Cannon. It has no reload but instead you need to charge it pretty long to do proper damage, so I've found Vortex Shield a bit meh with the Arc Cannon personally. With every other weapon (except with railgun until I got the instant-shot) I use Vortex Shield and on special demand Electric Smoke.

It allows you to keep charging without having to worry about damage for a while.

Probably one of my favourite tactics with Stryder, Vortex Shield and Big Punch is to wait till the enemy unloads his ordnance and other weapons, Vortex Shield it while dashing right at him, at range hit the melee button - it automatically releases the vortex shield stuff and you do huge damage with the shield returning stuff and with the Big Punch-boosted melee attack and after that you can dash out again (even if Big Punch typically throws em far enough as it is).

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Got mandated to work 16 hours at work, but tomorrow I'm going to be hosting custom games for WPCentral users throughout the day/night. Gamertag: the teams Flag

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Got mandated to work 16 hours at work, but tomorrow I'm going to be hosting custom games for WPCentral users throughout the day/night. Gamertag: the teams Flag

Sweet. I'll try to hop in when I can. You're going down. :devil: Or maybe not...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just did my first regen, and I have to say that the inconsistencies of this game are starting to bother me a bit. I disagree with the assessment that this is a highly-polished game, as some have said.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Just did my first regen, and I have to say that the inconsistencies of this game are starting to bother me a bit. I disagree with the assessment that this is a highly-polished game, as some have said.
Hmm, not sure what inconsistencies you see but I'm ninth going on tenth Gen and I don't see any inconsistencies so far

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The hit detection's really iffy. There have been several instances where I get around a corner and die from shots on the other side of it. It's not like a small lag type of thing either, it's getting 20 feet down and dying after the fact. Given that no other game I've played has given me connection-based fits in the past, I can't really blame it on my Internet. The whole concept they touted about balanced matchmaking is terrible, because it's nothing close to that. Winning Attrition games by 100+ points or losing Pilot Hunter ones by 20+ have been fairly commonplace. The Jump Kick hit detection is about as-dependable as Call of Duty's knifing ones. That might be a bit harsh, it's not THAT bad, but there are too many times I'm on the giving and receiving end of awkwardly-placed kicks.

Then, there was this one time, and it still bothers me...

I was on the ground, some guy was on a roof. I was looking straight at him and was about to turn behind a wall before he could shoot me. I noticed he was looking maybe 45 degrees away from me, and he started shooting. I figured he was shooting elsewhere, so I'd try to kill him before he noticed me. Instead, in the second I made that decision, the bullets shooting from his gun--again, 45 degrees or so away from me--killed me. Apparently, he HAD been looking at me and shooting me, even though what I saw on my screen was bullets going off in a totally-different direction. Given that this game came from the same people who made MW2, I can't say I'm surprised. In that game, I was once standing on a roof, someone threw a knife into the face of the building, maybe 5 feet below me. Of course, through some force of magic, that knife killed me. It was the same feeling of helpless confusion.

I like the game, it just needs SO much polish. The biggest gripe I probably have it how bad the campaign was. They need to either make a single-player experience or stop trying to have a story, because that story wasn't worth following.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
While I can agree with the "dying behind corners", it's so common with most shooters that I don't really care about it too much, at least it goes both ways :p There are ways to stop that from happening too, but it typically all comes with it's own downsides. Sometimes I'm also screaming like "wtf that didn't hit me!" with the jumpkicks, but with online gaming there is always that latency that will make sure that at times someone is gonna be sure that <insert thing> didn't hit me :p

No matter what kinda campaign they would've made, it would've been bad like all games that have SP campaign even if the game is first and foremost an online FPS. The last game with high profile MP and a SP worth writing home about might've been some Halo.. I didn't mind the campaign, after 3-4 playthroughs I actually started understanding the story cos it's really hard to follow it on the first playthrough cos all the story happens while you actually play and focus on your own thing. It's not good, but neither is any CoD or BF SP campaign either and they wasted way more resources on those. This is what Respawn also said, it takes way too much resources that are split to a whole other thing and data shows that most people don't even play through the SP campaign, so they didn't want to waste their time on that. I don't think this really has anything to do with polish, it's about the nature of the game. I personally NEVER expect a primarly MP shooter to have a good or meaningful SP campaign. While the netcode does give those corner kills at times, the gameplay is still very tight and it's NOTHING like BF4's netcode at launch (or still).

Obviously there is always more work to be done and many of the features that I think should've been there from launch have come shortly after, but it doesn't change my opinion that this game is still the most polished one I've played in years. Always more work to be done, but for me what counts is that for the most parts it's the things that count that polished, SP campaign doesn't really count for barely anyone in a game like this, so that's not a loss to this mankind :D

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't have the highest standards of FPS campaigns. I really liked the Black Ops campaigns, and even enjoyed all 3 Modern Warfare campaigns as well. I love the Halo campaigns (though I didn't finish the second or play ODST at all), and though Halo 4's was really good, except for the boring ending "fight." However, like you said, this game's campaign is a giant mess because of the setting you're in (trying to play online and pick it up on the way). I had no incentive to keep playing the campaign once I got through the Achievements for winning every level as both factions, which I think occurred on the second or third playthrough, so I didn't really take the time to care about it. I felt like what I got was a 2.5-hour movie, but you showed up an hour late (there's no background to the story AT ALL), and you left an hour late (there's no resolution of conflict). It's literally like the 30-minute middle of the movie, so it's pretty confusing as to what's happening, as well as WHY it's happening.

The online stuff, it's not unacceptably bad, but it's definitely not "normal," in my opinion. I never experienced issues like these with the lag on Halo or CoD. CoD's overall hit detection wasn't as good as Titanfall's, but the lag was actually not a problem, so I don't recall any major issues of dying after round a corner 2 seconds before. It's obviously not BF4 bad, but it's inferior to the 360 shooters I was playing before I got the One (Halo 4, Black Ops II). Hopefully it improves over time, most stuff does, but I admit I'm already getting a little bit weary of having that kind of garbage happen.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
We all did a few private games last night, fun stuff. We need to do some 6v6 WPCentral Matches.

Yep, I was there. (I wish my WP name and Gamertag were the same sometimes.)

We destroyed you in CTF... the other modes... not so much. :smile:

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a bear of a time with that one too. I wasn't accurate enough with the charged shot to make it useful. The key for me was using the cluster missile and just keep shooting the plasma. Once you get some number of kills (20 I think) you can change it to be "pre-charged" which basically makes it more powerful than the base shot without the need to zoom/charge. By the end, I really missed the 40MM canon and switched back to it the second I hit the 50 kill mark.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb