Should I get an XBOX ONE to make my whole life Windows/Microsoft?

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but this is a load of bull. You sound like all of the Sony fans who were waiting for devs to learn the PS3 and unlock the special sauce deep within the system. MS made a "good enough" system, meaning it can handle new gen games with maybe a few cut backs and the masses will usually be none the wiser. Does this mean great looking games won't appear on the system? No, being weaker didn't stop the PS2 or GC from having great looking games, but great looking games doesn't indicate performance parity with the competition. That applied then with the ps2/GC vs Xbox and it applies now with the PS4 vs Xbox one. It's a huge lie to say otherwise.

It's also rather ignorant to claim either system is more future proof than the other. The "cloud" is not some silver bullet and is something many companies are investing in, not just MS.

The rest of your post sounds like a MS infomercial but I don't feel like addressing everything using this slow WPCentral app. I just hope anyone that reads your post here knows to do it with a grain of salt.
You sound angry about something.
Ryse is the best looking new gen game. It's on X1.
Forza and Titanfall already make better use of the cloud than anything Sony pulled off during their generation of cell processor.
DirectX 12 reveal this week at GDC should be interesting.
Relax, don't let other people's opinions ruin your day.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
You sound angry about something.
Ryse is the best looking new gen game. It's on X1.
Forza and Titanfall already make better use of the cloud than anything Sony pulled off during their generation of cell processor.
DirectX 12 reveal this week at GDC should be interesting.
Relax, don't let other people's opinions ruin your day.

=) Not sure what I said to indicate I'm the least bit angry, but that's certainly not the case. I'm entirely relaxed, I just don't think it's fair to the OP if people who are ill-informed aren't corrected. I understand this is a Microsoft slanted forum seeing how it's based at a Windows Phone site, but some objective thinking does everyone good. What I quoted was both ignorant and wrong. You don't need to be angry or bothered to see that.

I aalso don't understand your post here at all. How can you measure utilization of a CPU versus a chain of servers? You can't, especially if you haven't worked on both, but that didn't stop you from making such a statement. Everything doesn't need to be a pissing contest for consumer products, just because the PS4 is more powerful or cloud computing isn't magic, that doesn't make the Xbox one ****.
Your opinion on those games is nothing more than that, an opinion. Ryse is very beautiful, but I have a hard time comparing different games in different genres because of the different demands every game imposes. These types of comparisons become especially pointless when exclusives are discussed because there's no way to tell how said games would perform on the other console.

I know some (or most) won't agree with what I'm saying here, but there is honesty no anger, hostility, or anything else negative behind my intentions here. There is just opinions and facts and some here seem to be mixing the two.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Why I bought an XBOX ONE over a PS4:

>XBOX MUSIC (this being the main one for me as I am an XBOX MUSIC Pass Subscriber)
>ESPN
>Kinect Voice Commands ("XBOX ON" turns both my XBOX and TV ON)
>Games with Gold coming later this year (something akin to what PS+ is)
>Now that I have it, the "Play To" thing which allows basically any media to be swung over to your XBOX ONE from a Win8 Machine.

I only play one game on the XBOX ONE...FIFA 14. I mostly do music, but I also use Univision Deportes, FX NOW( I watch new episodes of ARCHER on it, cable sub is required to use the app).

*Note: You need an XBL subscription($60 a year) to do any of the things I mentioned. Actually to do just about anything at all. You can get the Sub for like 40 dollars most of the time though by buying those prepaid cards.

Now, if you're not a gamer, and only plan on using it for Netflix and playing a single player game or two, (sub required for online multiplayer, but there are also perks like: Discounts, Free Games while Sub is active, etc.) PS4 would be more your cup of tea, as it is not behind a paywall to use Netflix, Amazon, or whatever else they have. But if you could wait 'til E3, I think you could make a more informed decision. It's possible Sony may announce more services, possibly some included with your sub. For me, though, being a sports fan and music lover, the XBOX ONE is the SH*T!

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If all you really want is streaming video save yourself $400 and get a Roku, install Plex on it and enjoy. If casual gaming is all you do you can do that and Skype on the PC you already own. I can't see dropping $500 on what will essentially just be a media center. Just doesn't seem a wise investment if you're not going to use it to it's full potential.

Posted via the WPC App!

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Get what you want. I honestly prefer the PS4 but whatever floats your boat. You are not required to be all out Microsoft.

I'd trade my Nexus for a W8 tablet though but that's still my preference. If I have spare $$$ for a console, I'd get a PS4. Never spend money on something you do not want. It's not like Xbox needs extra sales, contrary to reports, Xbone still is doing pretty well. Not as good as PS4 sales but still good. If you like the Xbox, get that. If you like a PS4, get the PS4.

BritDad

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have an Xbox 360 and windows phone, the integration works quite nicely, and the catalogue of AAA games is much larger than the xb1. The number of apps is good as well. Why not consider a Xbox 360?

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If all you really want is streaming video save yourself $400 and get a Roku, install Plex on it and enjoy. If casual gaming is all you do you can do that and Skype on the PC you already own. I can't see dropping $500 on what will essentially just be a media center. Just doesn't seem a wise investment if you're not going to use it to it's full potential.

Posted via the WPC App!

That's what I was saying. My desktop is hooked up in the living room, and thats its main purpose now. I stream everything. I've considered getting a 360 controller for some emulator games, but thats really about it and I'm not in a rush to do so, haven't messed with them in almost a year. My PS1 and Genesis have been collecting dust in a drawer for ?3 years. I'll play games on my phone or my Flex 10 if I'm in the mood. GTA is fun on the touch screen. For me, a console would be nice to have, but I really wouldn't use it like its supposed to be used, just like I wouldn't buy a Corvette for my grocery getter. But hey, if that's what you want, do it!!

Tansen

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
As everyone else is saying, having all Microsoft does make things a lot simpler. The xbox music service is very good and convenient, movies are all there, games are just like on any other system really.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Considering that you use it a lot to watch Netflix et al., remember that you need a Gold membership on Xbox Live for this to work. No such extra expense on the PS4. But both are overkill, I think, better get a Roku or similar device. Hell, a Chromecast might just do it.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I do not have an Xbox ONE. I do have a 360. Here is my experience. I use my Xbox 360 almost purely as a media center extender. I stream my TV shows over ethernet from my desktop and watch them on my big screen in the living room. It works great for that. I cut the cable years ago.

As far as netfilx and Hulu are concerned my TV is plugged in to my network with an ethernet cable. Most modern TVs above a certain price will have built in apps for netflix and Hulu. No need to even use an Xbox. The problem at least with the Xbox 360 is you have to pay money every year for Xbox Live in order to access netflix, Hulu, or even the web browser! Yes all functions already built into modern TVs and available for FREE require an annual fee for Microsoft. No thanks.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I do not have an Xbox ONE. I do have a 360. Here is my experience. I use my Xbox 360 almost purely as a media center extender. I stream my TV shows over ethernet from my desktop and watch them on my big screen in the living room. It works great for that. I cut the cable years ago.

As far as netfilx and Hulu are concerned my TV is plugged in to my network with an ethernet cable. Most modern TVs above a certain price will have built in apps for netflix and Hulu. No need to even use an Xbox. The problem at least with the Xbox 360 is you have to pay money every year for Xbox Live in order to access netflix, Hulu, or even the web browser! Yes all functions already built into modern TVs and available for FREE require an annual fee for Microsoft. No thanks.

That's kind of crazy to me. I don't have one, but what else do you get with an Xbox Live membership? Why is it worth $5/mo? It not a lot of $$, but I'm more concerned with the principal. I'm really trying to understand because I stream everything I want, and I do mean everything, from PC to TV and I pay not one single red cent.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That's kind of crazy to me. I don't have one, but what else do you get with an Xbox Live membership? Why is it worth $5/mo? It not a lot of $$, but I'm more concerned with the principal. I'm really trying to understand because I stream everything I want, and I do mean everything, from PC to TV and I pay not one single red cent.
First, there is no reason to pay $60 for XBL -- there are routinely $40 offers.

MS has charged for XBL from the beginning of X360. This has allowed them to develop the best online gaming service supported by hundreds-of-thousands of servers. If you have reliable home internet service, rarely will you lag when playing games online. Here are some additional benefits:
- cloud storage of game saves, making them portable across any console you are signed in to
- portability of all services such as Music , Video and Skype
- cloud storage for recording of recorded game clips
- Twitch streaming in HD
- free game downloads (currently on X360, will appear on X1 eventually)
- messaging and voice chat with friends

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
First, there is no reason to pay $60 for XBL -- there are routinely $40 offers.

MS has charged for XBL from the beginning of X360. This has allowed them to develop the best online gaming service supported by hundreds-of-thousands of servers. If you have reliable home internet service, rarely will you lag when playing games online. Here are some additional benefits:
- cloud storage of game saves, making them portable across any console you are signed in to
- portability of all services such as Music , Video and Skype
- cloud storage for recording of recorded game clips
- Twitch streaming in HD
- free game downloads (currently on X360, will appear on X1 eventually)
- messaging and voice chat with friends

You're missing the point -why should one pay anything at all?. I pay for my Netflix sub, I pay for my Internet connection, I (hypothetically) paid $500 for the Xbox One. Why should I pay more for Xbox Live, to access a service I am already paying for? Also, OP doesn't particularly care about multiplayer or free games, from his post.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You're missing the point -why should one pay anything at all?. I pay for my Netflix sub, I pay for my Internet connection, I (hypothetically) paid $500 for the Xbox One. Why should I pay more for Xbox Live, to access a service I am already paying for? Also, OP doesn't particularly care about multiplayer or free games, from his post.
I was replying to Juanitoriv, soooo .... why don't we let him/her make that decision instead of trolling my reply with talking points :wink:. I would certainly hope I didn't waste my time providing a thoughtful reply to a person who isn't willing to accept anything other than M$ bad, paywall evil (like you clearly are).

kingkoopa09

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I bought ab Xbox one and have no regrets. I own 2 920s surface rt venue 8pro and 1520, as well as a desktop. My reasons for not choosing ps4 I love both consoles and ps4 is the better true gaming experience if u play a lot of single player or by yourself.

Smartglass is nice feature, allows u to control system and other devices I.e. Tv, audio. Pins are real nice for this.

PlayTo via windows 8 charm or media player, I now prefer media player because u can queue up a playlist of videos to stream.

PlayTo is great via my 1520 especially know that 128gb cards are known to be working, load on phone and have a library at my command. Oh and works with music as well for songs that are in Xbox music library.

Xbox Music is fantastic itself screensaver background of the largest collection of on demand songs and playlist that never end as well as ur own from other devices. Now with the update it plays videos if the current song has one instead of screensaver.Oh yea it snaps and u can control it via smartglass while playing ur game.

Kinect 2.0 - Xbox fitness, dance games, sports rivals, voice commands gestures. Yea its not perfect but still great and only gets better especially once u learn it and use it gets easier and u only get mad when it doesn't work because u get use to it working idk why people bash it for that ps4 has NO option.

Games - Xbox live experience is great the whole online is better games like call of duty run smoother. Yea i know it sucks u have to have it but oh well. Smartglass is included and even works on windows phone Xbox enabled games. Pretty much most big name games are cross platform or Microsoft has some of there own i.e titanfall.

So the ability to have games and more media options was a no brainer.ps4 does gaming great ps4 does it as well but it also does way more.

I do want a ps4 but i feel for a living room especially family wise Xbox is way to go it touches all fronts everybody wins.

Oh and there is no way to get ur media on a ps4 No dlna,media server,cds or USB just via blu ray or their store or music unlimited

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I was replying to Juanitoriv, soooo .... why don't we let him/her make that decision instead of trolling my reply with talking points :wink:. I would certainly hope I didn't waste my time providing a thoughtful reply to a person who isn't willing to accept anything other than M$ bad, paywall evil (like you clearly are).

So the $5/mo $40/yr is basically like membership dues for the cool online club to hang out, play and talk sh!t to your online gamer buddies, the streaming services are just perks. That sounds reasonable. I like RC cars & trucks. I pay track fees if I want to go race at the spot. More than $5 a pop too. And I have to pack up my gear and GO there. Ya'll are chillin on the couch.

Dude, thanks for the well thought out and intellectual response. If I was really into gaming enough to purchase an Xbone, I wouldn't want to just play with myself, ;) I'd rather have someone to play with me. But isn't that true in most areas of life?

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Let's keep this thread on topic and help the OP. He said that he isn't really a hardcore gamer, so arguments over specs of gaming on Xbox One and PS4 does not help him.[/WARN]

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Let's keep this thread on topic and help the OP. He said that he isn't really a hardcore gamer, so arguments over specs of gaming on Xbox One and PS4 does not help him.[/WARN]

Laura, he did ask if specs would matter or not. I don't think they will. If I were him, based on how he portrayed his habits, I'd be concerned about the XBL membership for his streaming needs. It seems like his Surface Pro 2 would fill those nicely though. But, can't the SP2 or almost any other W8.1 tablet/laptop stream to an Xbone anyway with the Play To function without the need for XBL?? Hmm. Might just make that a moot point..

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I hope that everyone is aware that Sony now requires PlayStation Plus memberships for multiplayer, too, now. I find it funny that after all these years not everyone knows that Xbox Live memberships exist. What is different this time if that Sony is now also charging a la Xbox Live.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss