Will voice commands ever be patched?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I love the xbox one voice commands, but I still have very basic gripes about it. 1. The commands are too rigid, like you have to say the entire name of the game for it to start, or you have to say "xbox on" but not "turn on" but you have to say "turn off" but not "off". And then you have to confirm it afterwards. Also adding voice commands to control the rest of your home entertainment like turn tv on, change input, turn receiver on, etc... These seem like basic improvements and I figured we would have started to see them in these monthly patches.

It almost seems like Microsoft is abandoning the do everything device, and focusing solely on gaming, (going ps4 route) We bought the xbox as a do everything device and I'd like to see bigger improvements to the media aspects of the device as well. Do you guys think these kind of improvements to the voice commands will come, or will it remain as rigid as it currently is for the entire duration of the xbox one.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree that they need work. Right now they are fairly simple commands. Also I have found after recent updates the Kinect is having a hard time understanding me. I imagine later down the road they will more than likely make improvements both on understanding and making the commands more fluid. But it may not be the highest priority right now. We just need to have patience.

wpmartjr

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Maybe after cortana is succesful in wp 8 it will go to xbox and maybe even windows 8. That would ad interactive learning voice commands, also for the xbox yo be able to turn on your tv etc. your other devices have to support this and than you would need a special hdmi cable. This feature would be more than some simple command, because the xbox cant see, oh this is your reciever, but you would have to set up all these things. Maybe we will see these things in the future, but i'm sure improments will come

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Maybe after cortana is succesful in wp 8 it will go to xbox and maybe even windows 8. That would ad interactive learning voice commands, also for the xbox yo be able to turn on your tv etc. your other devices have to support this and than you would need a special hdmi cable. This feature would be more than some simple command, because the xbox cant see, oh this is your reciever, but you would have to set up all these things. Maybe we will see these things in the future, but i'm sure improments will come

I would definitely like to see some form of Cortana come to the Xbox. :D In regards to turning the tv on and off or receiver, the xbox can see all of that, since it can already turn them on and off. It basically has a universal remote built into it, so you can only imagine the kind of complex things you could do with it. For example, i have a popcorn hour to play local media. And even if the xbox can't do that yet, it'd be great if I could just say, change tv input to 4 and it would let me do that. Maybe it could also be a universal remote for your dvr remote. Since it can change channels, it should also be able to open your dvr list and allow you to up and down and select on the screen.

Ahhh, I could go on forever, the possibilities are endless! But yes, I agree we need to be patient. Hopefully not too long though!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
They havn't forgotten about Kinect, the next bigger update coming in April is tweaking Kinect commands further, but for now it's not about adding more, but "fixing" the rest.

Also, I figure some of the things are there for a very good reason, such as the confirming if you want to actually turn the Xbox off. I've been wondering about the "Xbox, on/Xbox, turn off" difference and I think it might've been there partially cos "Xbox On" and "Xbox off" sound very similar and Kinect would likely have trouble identifying which one it was. Now it's not problem with just one console around, but perhaps they were made different so even with multiple consoles around you don't end up turning off the other console when you try to boot up the one that is off or something :p

But yea, I know Kinect would be able to change TV source or put it on individually just fine, I'd like to have that option too, maybe in the future but then again it means a lot of work to MS as different TVs work differently..

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if it is feasible, but I would like to say the TV channel number in addition to saying the network name. For instance, there are networks that the Xbox One does not recognize and saying "Xbox, watch channel 601" would fix that.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
At the very least, they should map controller inputs to IR remote commands when in TV mode (up, down, left, right, A for enter, B for back, Y for menu, etc.). That would solve the DVR problem they have right now. It would introduce a little delay, but at least I wouldn't have to put my controller down and pick up my remote just to watch a recorded show.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if it is feasible, but I would like to say the TV channel number in addition to saying the network name. For instance, there are networks that the Xbox One does not recognize and saying "Xbox, watch channel 601" would fix that.

Absolutely that can work! Whatever you can map to a universal remote, you can map to the Xbox voice commands. Numbers are mappable. And just like Rhody is saying, you should be able to map at least most of the inputs, so you wouldn't need to use any other remotes at all.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Like Coreldan said - the next update to the XBOX One is bringing some fine-tuning to the Kinect.

If after the last update your Kinect is having trouble hearing you - do the Kinect setup over again. Settings - Kinect - "My Kinect has trouble hearing me" Make sure that when you do the setup that you turn the volume WAAAAAAAAAAAY up where the Kinect tells you to 'turn it down' keep turning it down until it says everything is good and proceed normally. That makes the Kinect work much more efficiently. I've been able to speak just louder than normal to get my XBOX to do stuff. It's pretty cool.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if your general comment was said with my post in mind, ncxcstud, but when I said my X1 does not recognize the network, it wasn't that it could not hear me, it is that the network's ID parameters isn't coded. For instance, the Yankees sports network, YES, does not register. I tried saying the word YES and the acronym of Y.E.S. and neither work. If the programmers can simply code the channel number, that will work perfectly.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Most of the time when I accidently say "XBox Off" it actually pauses my DVR, so maybe that's why it is "XBox turn off" instead.

I also wish there were custom commands because I'd rather say "XBox, prepare for Titanfall" instead of "XBox go to Titanfall" I know..I know.. #firstworldproblems

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Nope - Sorry Vallos - I was responding to xboxonthego who said that the Kinect has had trouble understanding them since the update... ;)

At least after the latest update MLB Network is correctly understood now. It didn't do that in November - kept sending me to NFL or NBA network. Every time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros