09-30-2014 03:59 AM
278 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Just curious, not bashing you in any way, but how do you still enjoy Titanfall, after all those hours you have played it?
    The same way alot of people get hooked on a shooter - competition. I've a very competitive player and honestly if I had a whole friends list full of competitive TF players, I wouldn't even play Match Making, only customs. I did it in Halo CE LANs, Halo 2 Online, Halo 3, Halo 2 XBConnect, and Halo 4. I put alot more time into Halo 2, and Halo 3 massing at a total of ~20k on Halo 3 and ~15k on Halo 2.

Don't get me wrong, my competitive spirit spreads to any game (~250 hours GTA V, ~120 hours GCI, <800 hours Runescape) Hell I was even #1 Ranked on Tetris Friends for a good two weeks. I thrive off competition and I honestly see nothing drawing more than 40-50 hours out of me for Watch_Dogs
    05-27-2014 10:29 PM
    How do you draw such conclusions on something you have never played yourself? I am seeing this a lot with people regarding this game for some reason. You returned it after buying it, which makes little sense. If you tried it and returned it, I would get it but you are basing your conclusions on others thoughts.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Once you open a game, you can't return it for anything other than another copy of the same game, and that's only if it's damaged. Regardless, as I said, returning it now and getting it at a later date saves me $17 on the purchase price (due to the $5 extra in Best Buy credit and the 20% discount with their GCU membership).

I draw the conclusions based on the opinions of others who have played the game. I don't need to be the one driving the car in-game to see the bad physics, for example. I was watching a stream, and the cars just don't drive in a logical way, especially when collisions are involved. Also, I don't need to be playing to see pop-in issues, where the game can't bring the characters into the picture quickly enough, leading to last-second appearances that cause wrecks. Similarly, I can get the same effect from driving end-to-end in-game myself as watching someone else do it--7 minutes is 7 minutes.

My assessment is really just based on the factual matter of the game. I'm not calling the story quality bad because someone else called it bad, or calling the graphics bad because a compressed stream or YouTube video looked bad. I'm just saying that the physics seem bad, the map is smaller than I'd like, and the hardware can't generate A.I. characters fast enough. They're all fact-based matters, not opinions. I don't need to play the game to determine those things any more than I need to watch a baseball game to figure out a player's batting average for that game.

The end conclusion is really the only assessment that's opinion-based, and it's more an assessment of what I watched, and what I EXPECT of the game, based on that. It looks like a 6/7 game because of some serious flaws in the core makeup of it. Yeah, a great story or good multiplayer (or both) can change that, as can having the pop-in issues be minimal or DLC to include new sections of the city. I doubt the driving physics improve, though that's admittedly the least of my concerns. So I agree that there's a degree to which you have to play to fully give an opinion, but I couldn't justify $65 to figure it out. For $45? I could probably take the plunge (we'll see).
    Flagz likes this.
    05-27-2014 11:37 PM
    Once you open a game, you can't return it for anything other than another copy of the same game, and that's only if it's damaged. Regardless, as I said, returning it now and getting it at a later date saves me $17 on the purchase price (due to the $5 extra in Best Buy credit and the 20% discount with their GCU membership).

I draw the conclusions based on the opinions of others who have played the game. I don't need to be the one driving the car in-game to see the bad physics, for example. I was watching a stream, and the cars just don't drive in a logical way, especially when collisions are involved. Also, I don't need to be playing to see pop-in issues, where the game can't bring the characters into the picture quickly enough, leading to last-second appearances that cause wrecks. Similarly, I can get the same effect from driving end-to-end in-game myself as watching someone else do it--7 minutes is 7 minutes.

My assessment is really just based on the factual matter of the game. I'm not calling the story quality bad because someone else called it bad, or calling the graphics bad because a compressed stream or YouTube video looked bad. I'm just saying that the physics seem bad, the map is smaller than I'd like, and the hardware can't generate A.I. characters fast enough. They're all fact-based matters, not opinions. I don't need to play the game to determine those things any more than I need to watch a baseball game to figure out a player's batting average for that game.

The end conclusion is really the only assessment that's opinion-based, and it's more an assessment of what I watched, and what I EXPECT of the game, based on that. It looks like a 6/7 game because of some serious flaws in the core makeup of it. Yeah, a great story or good multiplayer (or both) can change that, as can having the pop-in issues be minimal or DLC to include new sections of the city. I doubt the driving physics improve, though that's admittedly the least of my concerns. So I agree that there's a degree to which you have to play to fully give an opinion, but I couldn't justify $65 to figure it out. For $45? I could probably take the plunge (we'll see).
    I don't know. I still think it is premature but it's your money. I am happy with WatchDogs myself. I saw all the demos and videos myself too but I still got it, as I like to make my own conclusions. I an the same way with movies. People hate transformers with a passion, I love all 3 transformers movies.

05-27-2014 11:45 PM
    Holy crap, my Titanfall stats say I've played for 4 days and 19 hours. If my wife knew that I would be dead.

Prior to Titanfall, the last shooter I played online for more then a few hours was probably Halo 3. I've played all the Halo games, and love shooters, but play for the single player piece, which is why I play games like Gears and Halo and have never played Call of Duty or Battlefield.

Normally the kind of games I play are AC, GTA, Red Dead Redemption type games, along with games like Age of Empires or the Total War series.

It's also the competitive thing for me too. The only other competitive thing I do outside of video games is adult volleyball league, so I need more! Also having those challenges forces you to use all the weapons and that keeps it fresh, as well as fuel my addiction. I'm still not awesome, but I've been getting my share of MVP and top three finishes lately. If only I had my reflexes I had in my 20's I'd be ruling the galaxy.
    Flagz likes this.
    05-27-2014 11:46 PM
    I don't know. I still think it is premature but it's your money. I am happy with WatchDogs myself. I saw all the demos and videos myself too but I still got it, as I like to make my own conclusions. I an the same way with movies. People hate transformers with a passion, I love all 3 transformers movies.

Well, like I said, the main reason I returned it was to save money. Rather than $60, I'm going to pick it back up for $43, after using Gamers Club Unlocked and the $5 left over from the pre-order refund (which my dad had paid for as part of my graduation gift). I'll likely pick the game up in a day or two, I just wanted the 20% discount, and they wouldn't give me it without a refund and re-buy.

That doesn't change the fact that there are real issues with the game that concern me. I could rent it and see what's what, but I'm also a bit too OCD about playing games short-term and having them stick on my GamerScore, haha.
    05-28-2014 12:33 AM
    By the way, do you need a UPlay account on console? I know EA sneaked Origin into its games on consoles, wondered if Ubisoft was trying the same thing.
    05-28-2014 02:11 AM
    I put a few hours into Watch Dogs last night (surprisingly, Amazon actually managed to deliver something on release day). It's been pretty fun so far but hasn't really engaged me in the way I was hoping. The story lines are kind of flat and not really emotionally involving (probably something to do with the nasty dead-eye look of the major characters) and the voice acting is pretty lacklustre.

I think maybe I've been spoilt by GTA because I really got into those characters.

The gameplay in Watch Dogs is nice and fluid though and the hacking side of things is pretty straightforward - it's pretty obvious what hacked items will do and how they're likely to affect the scenario at hand. I'm not going to moan about the driving or physics as it's not that kind of a game - if I wanted that, I'd play Forza. Some parts of the game are still confusing (why is my scanner sometimes blocked, and who are those people with red dots above their heads?)

Even though it's only a "filler" game, I find I'm enjoying Wolfenstien more...
    05-28-2014 03:42 AM
    By the way, do you need a UPlay account on console? I know EA sneaked Origin into its games on consoles, wondered if Ubisoft was trying the same thing.
    Yeah, UPlay is still there. The servers were unavailable when I started playing last night and it didn't cause me any problem. I really don't like these associated accounts either and don't see the need for them at all.
    05-28-2014 03:43 AM
    Is their any way to have different profiles? So that two people can play without overwriting each other's saved games. I just got the game free with my new gpu, haven't played pc games in years so I'm not sure how to do this.
    05-28-2014 04:07 AM
    I put a few hours into Watch Dogs last night (surprisingly, Amazon actually managed to deliver something on release day). It's been pretty fun so far but hasn't really engaged me in the way I was hoping. The story lines are kind of flat and not really emotionally involving (probably something to do with the nasty dead-eye look of the major characters) and the voice acting is pretty lacklustre.

I think maybe I've been spoilt by GTA because I really got into those characters.

The gameplay in Watch Dogs is nice and fluid though and the hacking side of things is pretty straightforward - it's pretty obvious what hacked items will do and how they're likely to affect the scenario at hand. I'm not going to moan about the driving or physics as it's not that kind of a game - if I wanted that, I'd play Forza. Some parts of the game are still confusing (why is my scanner sometimes blocked, and who are those people with red dots above their heads?)

Even though it's only a "filler" game, I find I'm enjoying Wolfenstien more...
    Have you got hacked by other players yet? I was attacked 3 times yesterday by someone trying to steal my data. Killed two, the third got away on a motorcycle.

05-28-2014 04:25 AM
    Yeah, UPlay is still there. The servers were unavailable when I started playing last night and it didn't cause me any problem. I really don't like these associated accounts either and don't see the need for them at all.
    So to play Watch Dogs on the One, you have to sign up for UPlay?

I'm out.
    05-28-2014 04:26 AM

I'm out.
    You don't have to, they ask you to sign up though.

05-28-2014 04:36 AM

I'm out.
    No, no uPlay required.

Anyways, I'm really liking the game so far. It's no GTA but I dont think that's fair to expect that, dev cycle and budgets are way different and this is a new IP. I really hope to see this game get a sequel or two. Not much complaints so far, I suppose stuff like voice acting and story could be better, but nothing gamebreaking. I actually quite like the driving, while GTA never did much for me in that regard.

One thing I like compared to GTA is the better stealth aspect I feel. Non-lethal takedowns (many animations depending on a lot of stuff) and generally the whole "reputation" thing. I for one dont like to go guns blazing, but it's fun to have the option and I like the whole vigilante-setting more than I like being just a.. criminal like in GTA :D

GTA IV was pretty bad IMO, it couldnt keep me hooked more than a few hours. GTA V was different but I dont personally own a last gen console so I dont have more than maybe 10h playing that. But generally the setting of watch dogs with the whole hacking stuff is far more interesting to me. I also like the semi-parkour stuff Aiden is capable of, in these dynamic aspects it actually makes GTA look a bit pale at times, even if Gta probably wins in storyline and a few other things.

Somebody tried to hack me yesterday while I was busy with other stuff, I managed to finish what I was doing. It was dark and it was hard to find the bad guy, but I did the trick on the video, shooting into the air and everyone ran but the bad guy was slow to react and I noticed him and shot him :D
    05-28-2014 05:44 AM
    No, no uPlay required.

Anyways, I'm really liking the game so far. It's no GTA but I dont think that's fair to expect that, dev cycle and budgets are way different and this is a new IP. I really hope to see this game get a sequel or two. Not much complaints so far, I suppose stuff like voice acting and story could be better, but nothing gamebreaking. I actually quite like the driving, while GTA never did much for me in that regard.

One thing I like compared to GTA is the better stealth aspect I feel. Non-lethal takedowns (many animations depending on a lot of stuff) and generally the whole "reputation" thing. I for one dont like to go guns blazing, but it's fun to have the option and I like the whole vigilante-setting more than I like being just a.. criminal like in GTA :D

GTA IV was pretty bad IMO, it couldnt keep me hooked more than a few hours. GTA V was different but I dont personally own a last gen console so I dont have more than maybe 10h playing that. But generally the setting of watch dogs with the whole hacking stuff is far more interesting to me. I also like the semi-parkour stuff Aiden is capable of, in these dynamic aspects it actually makes GTA look a bit pale at times, even if Gta probably wins in storyline and a few other things.

Somebody tried to hack me yesterday while I was busy with other stuff, I managed to finish what I was doing. It was dark and it was hard to find the bad guy, but I did the trick on the video, shooting into the air and everyone ran but the bad guy was slow to react and I noticed him and shot him :D
    I got hacked 3 times yesterday. One of them got away. One of them I did have to shoot in the air to find out where he was at. Then I chased him and ran him over in the street.

05-28-2014 07:37 AM
    Well I finally was engaged by the mobile race app. Its crazy, someone (a random person with the ctOS app) sics the police on you and changes traffic lights while you try to finish through the checkpoints. It got very hectic and I ended up running out of time before reaching the next checkpoint.

I'm glad I finally got to experience it. I have got to try the ctOS app today to see if it is working now.

05-28-2014 09:18 AM
    No, no uPlay required.
    Is uPlay required for the online stuff, like the mobile app?
    05-28-2014 10:50 AM
    Is uPlay required for the online stuff, like the mobile app?
    Yes.
    05-28-2014 11:02 AM

I'm out.
    No.
    05-28-2014 11:03 AM
    Wait, now I'm confused. What stuff is UPlay required for, if you're all saying it's not required? Is it just for the mobile stuff? Is it for all online play?
    05-28-2014 11:28 AM
    just if you want to use the mobile app (I'm assuming, i don't have a device that I can use it on). For people to pop in your game, or you pop in theirs its not needed on the xbone.

The only thing its for it rewards. As you play the game you collect uplay points to unlock things with, just like Assassins Creed or any other Ubisoft game.

I really don't understand why you wouldn't make an account, but i guess everyone has their quirks
    unstoppablekem and A895 like this.
    05-28-2014 11:31 AM
    Wait, now I'm confused. What stuff is UPlay required for, if you're all saying it's not required? Is it just for the mobile stuff? Is it for all online play?
    For mobile stuff and online play. I think PC users need uplay though.

Sent from my Xbox One using Tapatalk
    A895 likes this.
    05-28-2014 11:43 AM
    Needed for online play. I see no reason not to have it though as it has perks with it.

unstoppablekem likes this.
    05-28-2014 11:44 AM
    Needed for online play. I see no reason not to have it though as it has perks with it.

Yeah. I mean it makes the game a lot more fun. And it's free, so there is no harm...

A895 likes this.
    05-28-2014 11:50 AM
    Yeah. I mean it makes the game a lot more fun. And it's free, so there is no harm...

Exactly. I have seen a lot of criticisms concerning UPlay between yesterday and today too and I can't figure out why, especially since this is new game (which is very popular) and GTA had first week or month hiccups as well.

unstoppablekem likes this.
    05-28-2014 11:52 AM
    Exactly. I have seen a lot of criticisms concerning UPlay between yesterday and today too and I can't figure out why, especially since this is new game (which is very popular) and GTA had first week or month hiccups as well.

Well I mean uplay has issues, yes, but owning an account, and using the cool online features is pretty sweet, and shouldn't be missed out on.

Sent from my PlayStation 4 using Tapatalk
    A895 likes this.
    05-28-2014 11:54 AM
278 ... 23456 ...