Official Watch Dogs Thread

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Watch Dogs Thread

Played 2 1/2 hours of it, here's my little insight.

Watch Dogs is honestly no more than a solid 7/10. They try and implement the Sandbox element similar to GTA but even with all the neat tricks (hacking / insight to peoples lives / free running) they have some shortcomings. The game is great with a solid story, at least for my 5-6 missions. Different then a lot of other stories that's for sure.

Explorations is a lacking. The world is small, and if you're big into Sandbox games then you'll notice right away. It doesn't take any effort to get from Point A to Point B. The details however are amazing, and at least on the PC side, you can tell this was made with Next Gen on the front lines That said, the player controls are amazing, the free running is a big improvement from Rockstars game, and the characters feel alot more real. Each NPC really does have a story. I must say though (I said it from the beginning!) that the driving SUCKS, flat out. Half the time you're in a car between missions, stores, online play and mini games but STILL the frucked up the driving. The physics in a car are all wrong, turning is boxy and sudden, and each car feels the same aside from speed. It sucks, and for spending 60% of my time in a car, I feel I should have a good experience.

The Hacks are amazing! You can complete some missions without ever aiming a gun! I love it, it's a unique feature that they definitely capitalized on! Cameras, Explosives, Cranes, Cars, Phones, Helmets, Lights and much more! It's amazing man, I mean I hacked a damn Helicopter!

The online play is great, but the fact that you have to disable (Which means losing your XP online) in order to play uninterrupted is awful. I really don't wanna lose my online progress just because I want to speed run the campaign..

Overall, it'll probably be more fun once I finish campaign and get online. Hopefully they fix that damn driving.

The world small? It feels big to me. The city is large. They have a rural and urban area. I especially like the area where it mostly all two story buildings and houses. I like the downtown areas even more.

I do agree with you about driving. Hopefully it gets better in time. I vastly prefer using Motorcycles to get around Chicago.

I own Just Cause 2 and this city may feel a third as large or more.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm still undecided. From the reviews I've read the general thoughts are it is good, but not great.

Maybe it's going to be like the original Assassin's Creed.. cool mechanics but not quite there, but the following versions will rule?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Good thing I'm not home now, because UPlay is still down, lol. Anyways, probably once I play it for the first time, there will probably be a patch.

I'm excited to play it on my ps4 though! :D

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm still undecided. From the reviews I've read the general thoughts are it is good, but not great.

Maybe it's going to be like the original Assassin's Creed.. cool mechanics but not quite there, but the following versions will rule?

I think it's great. Don't put too much trust in reviewers because they are trying to compare it to GTA, when it is not. Buy it yourself and see what YOU think. If you don't like it, return it.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Good thing I'm not home now, because UPlay is still down, lol. Anyways, probably once I play it for the first time, there will probably be a patch.

I'm excited to play it on my ps4 though! :D

I have been trying to use the ctOS App and it does not connect. Their servers are probably getting hammered right now.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been trying to use the ctOS App and it does not connect. Their servers are probably getting hammered right now.

Yeah, me too. Though the official Ubisoft twitch channel is steaming it now, which makes it seems like Ubisoft doesn't care...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had it pre-ordered, picked it up at midnight, then took it back today without playing. I'm honestly just not sure on it, after hearing the barrage of complaints. That ,and the game was $65 after tax. I returned it, got the money on a gift card, spent $60 on Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked, and have $5 left to put towards the game later, if I want. The main thing was getting the GCU so I get the games 20% off, meaning after I use the last of the gift card, it'll run me $43, plus tax.

Regardless, there were just too many complaints to want to play it last night. Heard that the servers are down, which is a drag. I watched a stream, and the driving physics look worse than the awful car physics in GTA V. There was a video showing that going end-to-end in a car is a 7-minute drive. The folks on PC (not sure how this compares on consoles) say that the draw distance can be terrible, resulting in a lot of op-in problems. It's apparently common to be driving along, then have an A.I. character appear out of nowhere in front of you, which is really bad, IMO.

As someone who abhors the GTA franchise, I was looking to this as a chance to FINALLY have a good open-world game. It AT LEAST seems to offer a better story than the crap GTA has thrown out there, and the game seems to be visually better than GTA, but the rest of it seems to be a downgrade. The driving looks bad, and some are saying that using ANY gun other than a silenced pistol is pointless because of bad weapon balance.

Granted, all of this can go by the wayside (for the most part) for the "fun factor." However, that's something you'd mostly experience playing with friends, and none of mine have this game (I have one friend with the console, but not Watch Dogs). It's similar to Titanfall, IMO, where you'll get bored quickly on your own.

Without playing it, I'm thinking this will be in the 6-7 range. It'll be above-average, but it will be dependent on how much you tolerate what seems to be a highly-redundant hacking system, and if you have others to play it with.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

Well, it has to be better than that monotonous Titanfall...

Sent from my Xbox One using Tapatalk
Titanfalls a different genre and doesn't belong in this convo. Rake that as good or bad. Its a competitive FPS shooter, this is a story based sandbox game.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I had it pre-ordered, picked it up at midnight, then took it back today without playing. I'm honestly just not sure on it, after hearing the barrage of complaints. That ,and the game was $65 after tax. I returned it, got the money on a gift card, spent $60 on Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked, and have $5 left to put towards the game later, if I want. The main thing was getting the GCU so I get the games 20% off, meaning after I use the last of the gift card, it'll run me $43, plus tax.

Regardless, there were just too many complaints to want to play it last night. Heard that the servers are down, which is a drag. I watched a stream, and the driving physics look worse than the awful car physics in GTA V. There was a video showing that going end-to-end in a car is a 7-minute drive. The folks on PC (not sure how this compares on consoles) say that the draw distance can be terrible, resulting in a lot of op-in problems. It's apparently common to be driving along, then have an A.I. character appear out of nowhere in front of you, which is really bad, IMO.

As someone who abhors the GTA franchise, I was looking to this as a chance to FINALLY have a good open-world game. It AT LEAST seems to offer a better story than the crap GTA has thrown out there, and the game seems to be visually better than GTA, but the rest of it seems to be a downgrade. The driving looks bad, and some are saying that using ANY gun other than a silenced pistol is pointless because of bad weapon balance.

Granted, all of this can go by the wayside (for the most part) for the "fun factor." However, that's something you'd mostly experience playing with friends, and none of mine have this game (I have one friend with the console, but not Watch Dogs). It's similar to Titanfall, IMO, where you'll get bored quickly on your own.

Without playing it, I'm thinking this will be in the 6-7 range. It'll be above-average, but it will be dependent on how much you tolerate what seems to be a highly-redundant hacking system, and if you have others to play it with.

How do you draw such conclusions on something you have never played yourself? I am seeing this a lot with people regarding this game for some reason. You returned it after buying it, which makes little sense. If you tried it and returned it, I would get it but you are basing your conclusions on others thoughts.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, me too. Though the official Ubisoft twitch channel is steaming it now, which makes it seems like Ubisoft doesn't care...

Probably they are working on a fix. Just saw an ArsTechnica article regarding it. They'll probably have it right in a couple days. GTA had the same problem.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

It will probably be better in like a month. :p

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Well that's a valid opinion then. Titanfall still outranks any current game for the Xbox One, my opinion of course. I try to play any game though.

Just curious, not bashing you in any way, but how do you still enjoy Titanfall, after all those hours you have played it?

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

Just curious, not bashing you in any way, but how do you still enjoy Titanfall, after all those hours you have played it?
The same way alot of people get hooked on a shooter - competition. I've a very competitive player and honestly if I had a whole friends list full of competitive TF players, I wouldn't even play Match Making, only customs. I did it in Halo CE LANs, Halo 2 Online, Halo 3, Halo 2 XBConnect, and Halo 4. I put alot more time into Halo 2, and Halo 3 massing at a total of ~20k on Halo 3 and ~15k on Halo 2.

Don't get me wrong, my competitive spirit spreads to any game (~250 hours GTA V, ~120 hours GCI, <800 hours Runescape) Hell I was even #1 Ranked on Tetris Friends for a good two weeks. I thrive off competition and I honestly see nothing drawing more than 40-50 hours out of me for Watch_Dogs

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
How do you draw such conclusions on something you have never played yourself? I am seeing this a lot with people regarding this game for some reason. You returned it after buying it, which makes little sense. If you tried it and returned it, I would get it but you are basing your conclusions on others thoughts.

Once you open a game, you can't return it for anything other than another copy of the same game, and that's only if it's damaged. Regardless, as I said, returning it now and getting it at a later date saves me $17 on the purchase price (due to the $5 extra in Best Buy credit and the 20% discount with their GCU membership).

I draw the conclusions based on the opinions of others who have played the game. I don't need to be the one driving the car in-game to see the bad physics, for example. I was watching a stream, and the cars just don't drive in a logical way, especially when collisions are involved. Also, I don't need to be playing to see pop-in issues, where the game can't bring the characters into the picture quickly enough, leading to last-second appearances that cause wrecks. Similarly, I can get the same effect from driving end-to-end in-game myself as watching someone else do it--7 minutes is 7 minutes.

My assessment is really just based on the factual matter of the game. I'm not calling the story quality bad because someone else called it bad, or calling the graphics bad because a compressed stream or YouTube video looked bad. I'm just saying that the physics seem bad, the map is smaller than I'd like, and the hardware can't generate A.I. characters fast enough. They're all fact-based matters, not opinions. I don't need to play the game to determine those things any more than I need to watch a baseball game to figure out a player's batting average for that game.

The end conclusion is really the only assessment that's opinion-based, and it's more an assessment of what I watched, and what I EXPECT of the game, based on that. It looks like a 6/7 game because of some serious flaws in the core makeup of it. Yeah, a great story or good multiplayer (or both) can change that, as can having the pop-in issues be minimal or DLC to include new sections of the city. I doubt the driving physics improve, though that's admittedly the least of my concerns. So I agree that there's a degree to which you have to play to fully give an opinion, but I couldn't justify $65 to figure it out. For $45? I could probably take the plunge (we'll see).

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Once you open a game, you can't return it for anything other than another copy of the same game, and that's only if it's damaged. Regardless, as I said, returning it now and getting it at a later date saves me $17 on the purchase price (due to the $5 extra in Best Buy credit and the 20% discount with their GCU membership).

I draw the conclusions based on the opinions of others who have played the game. I don't need to be the one driving the car in-game to see the bad physics, for example. I was watching a stream, and the cars just don't drive in a logical way, especially when collisions are involved. Also, I don't need to be playing to see pop-in issues, where the game can't bring the characters into the picture quickly enough, leading to last-second appearances that cause wrecks. Similarly, I can get the same effect from driving end-to-end in-game myself as watching someone else do it--7 minutes is 7 minutes.

My assessment is really just based on the factual matter of the game. I'm not calling the story quality bad because someone else called it bad, or calling the graphics bad because a compressed stream or YouTube video looked bad. I'm just saying that the physics seem bad, the map is smaller than I'd like, and the hardware can't generate A.I. characters fast enough. They're all fact-based matters, not opinions. I don't need to play the game to determine those things any more than I need to watch a baseball game to figure out a player's batting average for that game.

The end conclusion is really the only assessment that's opinion-based, and it's more an assessment of what I watched, and what I EXPECT of the game, based on that. It looks like a 6/7 game because of some serious flaws in the core makeup of it. Yeah, a great story or good multiplayer (or both) can change that, as can having the pop-in issues be minimal or DLC to include new sections of the city. I doubt the driving physics improve, though that's admittedly the least of my concerns. So I agree that there's a degree to which you have to play to fully give an opinion, but I couldn't justify $65 to figure it out. For $45? I could probably take the plunge (we'll see).

I don't know. I still think it is premature but it's your money. I am happy with WatchDogs myself. I saw all the demos and videos myself too but I still got it, as I like to make my own conclusions. I an the same way with movies. People hate transformers with a passion, I love all 3 transformers movies.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Holy crap, my Titanfall stats say I've played for 4 days and 19 hours. If my wife knew that I would be dead.

Prior to Titanfall, the last shooter I played online for more then a few hours was probably Halo 3. I've played all the Halo games, and love shooters, but play for the single player piece, which is why I play games like Gears and Halo and have never played Call of Duty or Battlefield.

Normally the kind of games I play are AC, GTA, Red Dead Redemption type games, along with games like Age of Empires or the Total War series.

It's also the competitive thing for me too. The only other competitive thing I do outside of video games is adult volleyball league, so I need more! Also having those challenges forces you to use all the weapons and that keeps it fresh, as well as fuel my addiction. I'm still not awesome, but I've been getting my share of MVP and top three finishes lately. If only I had my reflexes I had in my 20's I'd be ruling the galaxy.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. I still think it is premature but it's your money. I am happy with WatchDogs myself. I saw all the demos and videos myself too but I still got it, as I like to make my own conclusions. I an the same way with movies. People hate transformers with a passion, I love all 3 transformers movies.

Well, like I said, the main reason I returned it was to save money. Rather than $60, I'm going to pick it back up for $43, after using Gamers Club Unlocked and the $5 left over from the pre-order refund (which my dad had paid for as part of my graduation gift). I'll likely pick the game up in a day or two, I just wanted the 20% discount, and they wouldn't give me it without a refund and re-buy.

That doesn't change the fact that there are real issues with the game that concern me. I could rent it and see what's what, but I'm also a bit too OCD about playing games short-term and having them stick on my GamerScore, haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05