Official Watch Dogs Thread

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
By the way, do you need a UPlay account on console? I know EA sneaked Origin into its games on consoles, wondered if Ubisoft was trying the same thing.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I put a few hours into Watch Dogs last night (surprisingly, Amazon actually managed to deliver something on release day). It's been pretty fun so far but hasn't really engaged me in the way I was hoping. The story lines are kind of flat and not really emotionally involving (probably something to do with the nasty dead-eye look of the major characters) and the voice acting is pretty lacklustre.

I think maybe I've been spoilt by GTA because I really got into those characters.

The gameplay in Watch Dogs is nice and fluid though and the hacking side of things is pretty straightforward - it's pretty obvious what hacked items will do and how they're likely to affect the scenario at hand. I'm not going to moan about the driving or physics as it's not that kind of a game - if I wanted that, I'd play Forza. Some parts of the game are still confusing (why is my scanner sometimes blocked, and who are those people with red dots above their heads?)

Even though it's only a "filler" game, I find I'm enjoying Wolfenstien more...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
By the way, do you need a UPlay account on console? I know EA sneaked Origin into its games on consoles, wondered if Ubisoft was trying the same thing.

Yeah, UPlay is still there. The servers were unavailable when I started playing last night and it didn't cause me any problem. I really don't like these associated accounts either and don't see the need for them at all.

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Is their any way to have different profiles? So that two people can play without overwriting each other's saved games. I just got the game free with my new gpu, haven't played pc games in years so I'm not sure how to do this.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I put a few hours into Watch Dogs last night (surprisingly, Amazon actually managed to deliver something on release day). It's been pretty fun so far but hasn't really engaged me in the way I was hoping. The story lines are kind of flat and not really emotionally involving (probably something to do with the nasty dead-eye look of the major characters) and the voice acting is pretty lacklustre.

I think maybe I've been spoilt by GTA because I really got into those characters.

The gameplay in Watch Dogs is nice and fluid though and the hacking side of things is pretty straightforward - it's pretty obvious what hacked items will do and how they're likely to affect the scenario at hand. I'm not going to moan about the driving or physics as it's not that kind of a game - if I wanted that, I'd play Forza. Some parts of the game are still confusing (why is my scanner sometimes blocked, and who are those people with red dots above their heads?)

Even though it's only a "filler" game, I find I'm enjoying Wolfenstien more...

Have you got hacked by other players yet? I was attacked 3 times yesterday by someone trying to steal my data. Killed two, the third got away on a motorcycle.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, UPlay is still there. The servers were unavailable when I started playing last night and it didn't cause me any problem. I really don't like these associated accounts either and don't see the need for them at all.

So to play Watch Dogs on the One, you have to sign up for UPlay?

I'm out.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
So to play Watch Dogs on the One, you have to sign up for UPlay?

I'm out.

No, no uPlay required.

Anyways, I'm really liking the game so far. It's no GTA but I dont think that's fair to expect that, dev cycle and budgets are way different and this is a new IP. I really hope to see this game get a sequel or two. Not much complaints so far, I suppose stuff like voice acting and story could be better, but nothing gamebreaking. I actually quite like the driving, while GTA never did much for me in that regard.

One thing I like compared to GTA is the better stealth aspect I feel. Non-lethal takedowns (many animations depending on a lot of stuff) and generally the whole "reputation" thing. I for one dont like to go guns blazing, but it's fun to have the option and I like the whole vigilante-setting more than I like being just a.. criminal like in GTA :D

GTA IV was pretty bad IMO, it couldnt keep me hooked more than a few hours. GTA V was different but I dont personally own a last gen console so I dont have more than maybe 10h playing that. But generally the setting of watch dogs with the whole hacking stuff is far more interesting to me. I also like the semi-parkour stuff Aiden is capable of, in these dynamic aspects it actually makes GTA look a bit pale at times, even if Gta probably wins in storyline and a few other things.

Somebody tried to hack me yesterday while I was busy with other stuff, I managed to finish what I was doing. It was dark and it was hard to find the bad guy, but I did the trick on the video, shooting into the air and everyone ran but the bad guy was slow to react and I noticed him and shot him :D

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
No, no uPlay required.

Anyways, I'm really liking the game so far. It's no GTA but I dont think that's fair to expect that, dev cycle and budgets are way different and this is a new IP. I really hope to see this game get a sequel or two. Not much complaints so far, I suppose stuff like voice acting and story could be better, but nothing gamebreaking. I actually quite like the driving, while GTA never did much for me in that regard.

One thing I like compared to GTA is the better stealth aspect I feel. Non-lethal takedowns (many animations depending on a lot of stuff) and generally the whole "reputation" thing. I for one dont like to go guns blazing, but it's fun to have the option and I like the whole vigilante-setting more than I like being just a.. criminal like in GTA :D

GTA IV was pretty bad IMO, it couldnt keep me hooked more than a few hours. GTA V was different but I dont personally own a last gen console so I dont have more than maybe 10h playing that. But generally the setting of watch dogs with the whole hacking stuff is far more interesting to me. I also like the semi-parkour stuff Aiden is capable of, in these dynamic aspects it actually makes GTA look a bit pale at times, even if Gta probably wins in storyline and a few other things.

Somebody tried to hack me yesterday while I was busy with other stuff, I managed to finish what I was doing. It was dark and it was hard to find the bad guy, but I did the trick on the video, shooting into the air and everyone ran but the bad guy was slow to react and I noticed him and shot him :D

I got hacked 3 times yesterday. One of them got away. One of them I did have to shoot in the air to find out where he was at. Then I chased him and ran him over in the street.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well I finally was engaged by the mobile race app. Its crazy, someone (a random person with the ctOS app) sics the police on you and changes traffic lights while you try to finish through the checkpoints. It got very hectic and I ended up running out of time before reaching the next checkpoint.

I'm glad I finally got to experience it. I have got to try the ctOS app today to see if it is working now.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Wait, now I'm confused. What stuff is UPlay required for, if you're all saying it's not required? Is it just for the mobile stuff? Is it for all online play?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
just if you want to use the mobile app (I'm assuming, i don't have a device that I can use it on). For people to pop in your game, or you pop in theirs its not needed on the xbone.

The only thing its for it rewards. As you play the game you collect uplay points to unlock things with, just like Assassins Creed or any other Ubisoft game.

I really don't understand why you wouldn't make an account, but i guess everyone has their quirks

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Wait, now I'm confused. What stuff is UPlay required for, if you're all saying it's not required? Is it just for the mobile stuff? Is it for all online play?

Needed for online play. I see no reason not to have it though as it has perks with it.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Needed for online play. I see no reason not to have it though as it has perks with it.

Yeah. I mean it makes the game a lot more fun. And it's free, so there is no harm...

Sent from my Xbox One using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. I mean it makes the game a lot more fun. And it's free, so there is no harm...

Sent from my Xbox One using Tapatalk

Exactly. I have seen a lot of criticisms concerning UPlay between yesterday and today too and I can't figure out why, especially since this is new game (which is very popular) and GTA had first week or month hiccups as well.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I have seen a lot of criticisms concerning UPlay between yesterday and today too and I can't figure out why, especially since this is new game (which is very popular) and GTA had first week or month hiccups as well.

Well I mean uplay has issues, yes, but owning an account, and using the cool online features is pretty sweet, and shouldn't be missed out on.

Sent from my PlayStation 4 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb