05-16-2014 03:05 AM
72 123
tools
    Already have the X1 with Kinect and while this offer is very attractive for many who don't have the X1 yet, I feel sorry for these people as they will miss out on the Kinect. You really don't know what you're passing until you use it for some weeks/month. I wouldn't even consider not having Kinect anymore.
    Kinect is great in my family room (yet my family is still not happy about the error rate, poor performance with female voices and constant hard resets needed to keep the X1 running smoothly).

I have a den that Kinect would serve no purpose in -- don't watch TV in there, not enough room for motion gaming, it's just a place to chill out and play games or read. I'll probably go ahead now and get the $399 X1 for that room. I didn't want a Kinect in my son's bedroom, I'll probably go ahead and get him an unbundled X1 for Christmas this year. So for my family, the unbundled system is the best way to get more than one console into the house.
    05-14-2014 12:02 PM
    Kinect is great in my family room (yet my family is still not happy about the error rate, poor performance with female voices and constant hard resets needed to keep the X1 running smoothly).

I have a den that Kinect would serve no purpose in -- don't watch TV in there, not enough room for motion gaming, it's just a place to chill out and play games or read. I'll probably go ahead now and get the $399 X1 for that room. I didn't want a Kinect in my son's bedroom, I'll probably go ahead and get him an unbundled X1 for Christmas this year. So for my family, the unbundled system is the best way to get more than one console into the house.
    I was thinking the same thing, and if i need the kinect in these rooms, it would be easy enough to move.

Me getting another x1 for the house is probably a year or two out, but I couldnt agree more on the premise.
    05-14-2014 12:06 PM
    So glad the paywall was lifted! I don't have a gold membership but my son does and I never liked that I couldn't stream this stuff under my own ID. Thank you Microsoft for finally freeing us!
    05-14-2014 01:39 PM
    What do you mean? They said that there only needed to be one subscription per-console with The Bone. Is that only for online play? My cousin's definitely played games online on my console without having Gold from his account.
    05-14-2014 02:27 PM
    I'm going to assume he's using the 360. That or he doesn't have the xbone set as the home console on his sons account.
    05-14-2014 02:38 PM
    A part of me wishes I had waited, I mean I could have bought a game and another pad.. the other half well was jumping with Glee on day one whilst I played Ryse along with Forza and again after I got my own TV :D. So don't really regret it at all and in terms of a kinectless SKU it does mean alot more people may consider the X1 now as the price difference between the PS4 is not that huge. The argument that the PS4 is more "powerful" then the X1 is not really going to bother your average consumer, only Techies or prosumers get bothered by such mild discrepancies.
    05-14-2014 03:43 PM
    The ps3 was more "powerfull" then the 360, and it had no impact on sales. Exclusives sell hardware, and my money is with MS this time around.
    05-14-2014 03:48 PM
    What do you mean? They said that there only needed to be one subscription per-console with The Bone. Is that only for online play? My cousin's definitely played games online on my console without having Gold from his account.
    The account with Gold on it needs to be signed in in order for other accounts to use the XBOX Live Gold features. My wife needs to have my account signed in - on the xbox one - in order to use Netflix when I'm not there.
    05-14-2014 05:53 PM
    Since they made this announcement prior to E3, I think they must have some HUGE announcements to make.... This could have stolen the show
    05-14-2014 06:17 PM
    The account with Gold on it needs to be signed in in order for other accounts to use the XBOX Live Gold features. My wife needs to have my account signed in - on the xbox one - in order to use Netflix when I'm not there.
    The One signs my cousin in so frequently and leaves him signed in that I wouldn't think that to matter, haha.
    05-14-2014 06:43 PM
    Since they made this announcement prior to E3, I think they must have some HUGE announcements to make.... This could have stolen the show
    I think it's about doing it when the competition has nothing to announce, meaning you get all of the media attention. Then, to add on, they really want to push the console as a gaming console at E3, since last year was a lot about the other stuff. This gets them good P.R. headed into E3, it gets the spotlight on them, then they get a chance to show off the games themselves.
    05-14-2014 06:44 PM
    The ps3 was more "powerfull" then the 360, and it had no impact on sales. Exclusives sell hardware, and my money is with MS this time around.
    This is not entirely true. Some aspects of the PS3 were more powerful but other parts of the 360 were more powerful. Many multiplatform games looked better on the 360. For the XB1, it is less powerful in every graphical aspect and the multiplatform games look worse, sometimes much worse. 1080p vs 720p.

The no-Kinect XB1 is now virtually a weaker PS4 with fewer games. The advantages that the XB1 has such as more apps and entertainment offerings are not resonating as much with consumers. The only differentiating factors now are the controller and exclusives.

But, the good thing is I think (or hope) MS now learned their lesson. The core gamer, who might not be a big part of the total audience but has a big part in the mindshare of a device, wants bang for their buck. It's too late for the XB1, but the next Xbox, if there is one, will have to have the highest end components that can fit in a $400-ish box--like the PS4.
    05-14-2014 06:45 PM
    The primary use for my xbox 360 is as a media center extender. In a mind boggling move MSFT decided to kill that capability in the Xbox One. The end result is I will never own an Xbox One. $400 for something that can't even stream my tv shows from my desktop? Someone in Redmond needs to put the crack pipe down.

All I need for TV is a Tuner card and an indoor HDTV antenna. Now I have 1080i with much less compression than cable and a DVR with unlimited capacity. And best of all no cable or rental fees. But MSFT killed it. One of their most unique and innovative products and they killed it.
    05-14-2014 07:21 PM
    At the end of the day, the Xbox One will be fine, Kinect or no Kinect.
    A895 likes this.
    05-14-2014 10:01 PM
    The primary use for my xbox 360 is as a media center extender. In a mind boggling move MSFT decided to kill that capability in the Xbox One. The end result is I will never own an Xbox One. $400 for something that can't even stream my tv shows from my desktop? Someone in Redmond needs to put the crack pipe down.

All I need for TV is a Tuner card and an indoor HDTV antenna. Now I have 1080i with much less compression than cable and a DVR with unlimited capacity. And best of all no cable or rental fees. But MSFT killed it. One of their most unique and innovative products and they killed it.
    I think MS realizes how great product it was too, it just never really took off. People who use it like you do are a small marginal group, they've killed off their Media Center support anyways AFAIK, so probably supporting it for Xbox One would've been "wasted" resources for them.
    05-15-2014 07:09 AM
    05-15-2014 10:51 AM
    I think MS realizes how great product it was too, it just never really took off. People who use it like you do are a small marginal group, they've killed off their Media Center support anyways AFAIK, so probably supporting it for Xbox One would've been "wasted" resources for them.
    I would like to refer you to a little company called Ceton. Don't worry I never heard of them before 2010. As far as I know they never made a mass market consumer product before then.

I read an article in late 2010 about people spending $399 a pop on a cable tuner card to use with Windows Media Center. You read that right. They were spending as much as the cost of an Xbox One (minus Kinect) on a 4 tuner PCI card so they could leverage the full power of Windows Media Center. The company couldn't keep up with orders. Eventually other people jumped into the market.

I don't know the true current size of the Windows Media Center market but it is pretty shocking that less than four years ago people were lining up to pay $399 for the Cadillac of tuner cards to work with WMC. Honestly between sharing netflix and Hulu with a friend and my WMC setup I pay next to nothing for my video entertainment.

By the way that 4 tuner card that sold for $399 in late 2010 is now $250 and has six tuners. So six dvrs all recording at once to an unlimited amount of HDD space that is user expandable. If apple had something like this it would be on the cover of TIME magazine.
    05-15-2014 11:38 AM
    Well, they can kindly StFU about it. They're still going to have probably 80% of the user base owning a Kinect, and they opted to not integrate the thing with their early games or announce compelling near-future games to make the Kinect sound like an appealing addition to the console.

I can't help but laugh at how when the One was announced, people cried how they didn't care about the Kinect and the media went on about how the extra $100 for that thing was going to be a death sentence. Now that it's gone, it seems like about 60% of the media is crying it is a bad move.
    05-15-2014 12:25 PM
    The argument can be made for both sides, but I agree - "built it, and they will come".
    05-15-2014 03:17 PM
    I would like to refer you to a little company called Ceton. Don't worry I never heard of them before 2010. As far as I know they never made a mass market consumer product before then.

I read an article in late 2010 about people spending $399 a pop on a cable tuner card to use with Windows Media Center. You read that right. They were spending as much as the cost of an Xbox One (minus Kinect) on a 4 tuner PCI card so they could leverage the full power of Windows Media Center. The company couldn't keep up with orders. Eventually other people jumped into the market.

I don't know the true current size of the Windows Media Center market but it is pretty shocking that less than four years ago people were lining up to pay $399 for the Cadillac of tuner cards to work with WMC. Honestly between sharing netflix and Hulu with a friend and my WMC setup I pay next to nothing for my video entertainment.

By the way that 4 tuner card that sold for $399 in late 2010 is now $250 and has six tuners. So six dvrs all recording at once to an unlimited amount of HDD space that is user expandable. If apple had something like this it would be on the cover of TIME magazine.
    I actually nearly bought one of those a few years ago.
    05-15-2014 08:16 PM
    Well, they can kindly StFU about it. They're still going to have probably 80% of the user base owning a Kinect, and they opted to not integrate the thing with their early games or announce compelling near-future games to make the Kinect sound like an appealing addition to the console.

I can't help but laugh at how when the One was announced, people cried how they didn't care about the Kinect and the media went on about how the extra $100 for that thing was going to be a death sentence. Now that it's gone, it seems like about 60% of the media is crying it is a bad move.
    As a fan of the Kinect I was thinking the same thing. It seems harmonix is the only one who seems to care and knows how to use the Kinect.

Thought I thought the gunstringer on the 360 was a really good game too.

If you make a great game with unique features and a compelling use for the Kinect, people will buy it and your game. Simple as that.
    05-16-2014 12:40 AM
    I don't care that much for purely Kinect games, but I'm gonna miss just normal games having slight things with it. It sucks *** that Titanfall doesn't use it for anything. In Thief it was great to be able to fe. whistle to get the guards attention to lure them somewhere, although with a 8 months old kid in the house it was hard to be sneaky at all when the feature was on lol, but I did turn it on when she was asleep/not home.
    minus365 likes this.
    05-16-2014 03:05 AM
72 123