XBox One with no Kinect for $399. No more paywall for media services (Netflix, Hulu, etc)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
i'm seriously dissapointed. they should stand by their first decision to not sell XboxOne w/o Kinect. It was good decision I think, so relaly dont know why they've done such sudden change.??

Money. /thread

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
i'm seriously dissapointed. they should stand by their first decision to not sell XboxOne w/o Kinect. It was good decision I think, so relaly dont know why they've done such sudden change.??
if you had to sell about 2 million units and I mean real quick ....bring price down! But you have to remove something so it doesn't go bankrupt....what would you remove?....kinect!

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
if it goes banckrupcy 6months after launch, I'd first remove responsible manager as it's clear fail, butI'd never remove the main showcase feature that stands out ahead of the competitors.

very poor decision....

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I just don't get why people just automatically assumed that by bundling a Kinect, every developer would automatically add features for it. Unless I missed something from Microsoft saying it was a requirement.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
My family has an Xbox 360 and none of us are serious gamers at all and I think it's ridiculous that it took a decade, two consoles and Sony wiping the floor with Microsoft sales to finally allow us to get the Netflix and Hulu we already pay for with the internet we already paid for without an extra middle man fee as if the Xbox did anything. Smdh... That's just greed.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My family has an Xbox 360 and none of us are serious gamers at all and I think it's ridiculous that it took a decade, two consoles and Sony wiping the floor with Microsoft sales to finally allow us to get the Netflix and Hulu we already pay for with the internet we already paid for without an extra middle man fee as if the Xbox did anything. Smdh... That's just greed.

Why purchase a games console with media capabilities then? If that was the case you'd have been better off just getting a Roku or Apple TV or something like that.

The 'double pay' never bothered me - mostly because it didn't really affect me. I was already paying for both and I wasn't paying for XBOX Live to watch Netflix on my TV. It was just an 'added bonus' after paying for it to play video games online.

Though, at least with the new changes my wife will be able to watch Netflix without having to have my screen name signed in, which was just an added step - not really an inconvenience.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Devs wouldn't automatically make games that required Kinect KBB their own because they are risk adverse. But if MS led the way to show that people were ready to accept innovation then 3rd parties would be willing to follow.

The problem now is that if you spend $40 million making a game, you will definitely not include any control scheme that requires Kinect even if it would make for a better game. You will target controls that every single consumer has.

MS just changed Kinect from a real standard controller to an expensive accessory. MS made it significantly riskier to make something that requires Kinect, guaranteeing that we'll be left with little add ons or cheapo games.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I just don't get why people just automatically assumed that by bundling a Kinect, every developer would automatically add features for it. Unless I missed something from Microsoft saying it was a requirement.

I don't think its an assumption that every developer would automatically add Kinect features. But, instead that there is an incentive that developers can do creative things with Kinect features in their games without end users requiring the purchase of additional equipment to achieve it since everyone already had one.

The biggest issue is that Microsoft's 1st party games didn't/haven't used it effectively.

I think the biggest use for it that I've seen is how Dead Rising 3 used the voice stuff. It heightened tension in the game if you made a noise and the zombies 'heard' you and came after you.

They need to port over Kinect Party from the 360 as soon as they can. That game is fun.

There is an indie game that looks interesting that combines controller use and the Kinect where your body 'reveals' the level, so you have to move and twist around to get through it. That's a neat and creative use...

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Why purchase a games console with media capabilities then? If that was the case you'd have been better off just getting a Roku or Apple TV or something like that.

The 'double pay' never bothered me - mostly because it didn't really affect me. I was already paying for both and I wasn't paying for XBOX Live to watch Netflix on my TV. It was just an 'added bonus' after paying for it to play video games online.

Though, at least with the new changes my wife will be able to watch Netflix without having to have my screen name signed in, which was just an added step - not really an inconvenience.

I'm not really a gamer at all. My girl plays occasionally and our 7 year old clocks in the most time on the console because she loves all of the dance games. If we paid for the box and Kinect why should I pay the box again to watch content I pay for? If it were apple tv or Roku I wouldn't have to pay twice. MS isn't reversing the policy to look out for the customer. It's because their greedy ways have finally caught up with them.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Xbox One Without Kinect For $399 Will You Upgrade?

Already have the X1 with Kinect and while this offer is very attractive for many who don't have the X1 yet, I feel sorry for these people as they will miss out on the Kinect. You really don't know what you're passing until you use it for some weeks/month. I wouldn't even consider not having Kinect anymore.
Kinect is great in my family room (yet my family is still not happy about the error rate, poor performance with female voices and constant hard resets needed to keep the X1 running smoothly).

I have a den that Kinect would serve no purpose in -- don't watch TV in there, not enough room for motion gaming, it's just a place to chill out and play games or read. I'll probably go ahead now and get the $399 X1 for that room. I didn't want a Kinect in my son's bedroom, I'll probably go ahead and get him an unbundled X1 for Christmas this year. So for my family, the unbundled system is the best way to get more than one console into the house.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Xbox One Without Kinect For $399 Will You Upgrade?

Kinect is great in my family room (yet my family is still not happy about the error rate, poor performance with female voices and constant hard resets needed to keep the X1 running smoothly).

I have a den that Kinect would serve no purpose in -- don't watch TV in there, not enough room for motion gaming, it's just a place to chill out and play games or read. I'll probably go ahead now and get the $399 X1 for that room. I didn't want a Kinect in my son's bedroom, I'll probably go ahead and get him an unbundled X1 for Christmas this year. So for my family, the unbundled system is the best way to get more than one console into the house.

I was thinking the same thing, and if i need the kinect in these rooms, it would be easy enough to move.

Me getting another x1 for the house is probably a year or two out, but I couldnt agree more on the premise.

amagner

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So glad the paywall was lifted! I don't have a gold membership but my son does and I never liked that I couldn't stream this stuff under my own ID. Thank you Microsoft for finally freeing us!

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean? They said that there only needed to be one subscription per-console with The Bone. Is that only for online play? My cousin's definitely played games online on my console without having Gold from his account.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
A part of me wishes I had waited, I mean I could have bought a game and another pad.. the other half well was jumping with Glee on day one whilst I played Ryse along with Forza and again after I got my own TV :D. So don't really regret it at all and in terms of a kinectless SKU it does mean alot more people may consider the X1 now as the price difference between the PS4 is not that huge. The argument that the PS4 is more "powerful" then the X1 is not really going to bother your average consumer, only Techies or prosumers get bothered by such mild discrepancies.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The ps3 was more "powerfull" then the 360, and it had no impact on sales. Exclusives sell hardware, and my money is with MS this time around.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean? They said that there only needed to be one subscription per-console with The Bone. Is that only for online play? My cousin's definitely played games online on my console without having Gold from his account.

The account with Gold on it needs to be signed in in order for other accounts to use the XBOX Live Gold features. My wife needs to have my account signed in - on the xbox one - in order to use Netflix when I'm not there.

wiederman

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Since they made this announcement prior to E3, I think they must have some HUGE announcements to make.... This could have stolen the show

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The account with Gold on it needs to be signed in in order for other accounts to use the XBOX Live Gold features. My wife needs to have my account signed in - on the xbox one - in order to use Netflix when I'm not there.

The One signs my cousin in so frequently and leaves him signed in that I wouldn't think that to matter, haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786