Xbox One june Update. External HD support and more

Skeet1981

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Confirmed: Xbox One external storage will only save games and apps with the June release.

A future update may allow for media playback but this is still in discussion.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I just got a message early morning from Xbox that the new preview rollout will start soon for the next update. We will know in a few days how well the USB drives work.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a hard time understanding the purpose of external HD support. Do people active play enough games at the same time to warrant external storage? Unless they allow you to download music/video and play from external storage, I can't see myself needing this.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I will probably get a 1TB drive for games. I hate having to re-download a 40 GB game if i want to play it again. If i buy it digitally i will probably never uninstall it. If i buy it on a disc, it means i dont plan on keeping it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a hard time understanding the purpose of external HD support. Do people active play enough games at the same time to warrant external storage? Unless they allow you to download music/video and play from external storage, I can't see myself needing this.

Would you really want to have to reinstall a digital game that was 30-50 GB in size? It's about not having to sorry about storage space. As the generation goes on, we could potentially see games break that 50-GB threshold, and who wants to only be able to keep 5-10 games on the console when your library is 20-30 games in size? It's a matter of convenience.

The other side of it is portability. If you keep games on an external, then you could unplug, go to a friend's with your game, and not have to do any installation.

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
portability is the mainbenefit for me, but I don't see any problem to uninstall the game and re-download later. ussually I dont play more than 3 games at the time, so not a problem for me.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Would you really want to have to reinstall a digital game that was 30-50 GB in size? It's about not having to sorry about storage space. As the generation goes on, we could potentially see games break that 50-GB threshold, and who wants to only be able to keep 5-10 games on the console when your library is 20-30 games in size? It's a matter of convenience.

The other side of it is portability. If you keep games on an external, then you could unplug, go to a friend's with your game, and not have to do any installation.

There may be a day when I have 20-30 games in my library, but I doubt I will ever play more than 3 games at the same time, and I doubt I will go back to a game I beat or got bored with. However, I can appreciate that some people may want all the games in their library available right away, especially when you can get a 1TB drive for about $50-$60.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm just thinking about this fall. How big will each of the Halo remakes be? I imagine 10 GB or so. Sunset Overdrive and NBA 2K15 will likely be 20+ GB each. The same probably goes for Forza Horizon 2/The Crew (whichever I get). Disney Infinity 2.0 is probably another 10. I'm looking at a lot of games at once at the end of the year, and some are going to be year-long commitments or more (like NBA 2K15, I'll play throughout the NBA season).

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, if you check the deal sites there was a WD external 4TB USB 3.0 drive going for $130....That would be enough space to hold all the games for most of the life time of having the xbox one...and the drive for the Xbox one MUST BE USB 3.0....so that old USB 2.0 drive will not work...FYI....

I still have about 35% space left, so maybe another game or 2.... After that gets close, I will pick up at least a 2-3tb drive...

Does anyone know can you move a game from internal storage to external ? (like less used games on external for possable better performance for games you use all the time)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, IDK what I am going to do right now. I don't anticipate needing an external until around Christmas or something. I am at 26.4% used, then there are probably 5 games at the end of the year that I want. They'll probably total 100+ GB, after which I might have to look into a second drive. I think 2-3 TB is way more than necessary for the near-future. I think by the time I need more than that, they'll hopefully have a dependable means of replacing the internal and reinstalling the OS. At that point, I'll probably get a 3-TB internal HDD and install that (since the warranty will be up anyway).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon