Games with Gold

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My guess (which is just a complete stab in the dark) would be by June 9th when their e3 press conference occurs.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
2K14 is currently $29 on Amazon

Forza is out there for $20.25, though from a third-party seller.

Honestly, Microsoft's digital sales are usually terrible, and this week is no different. They continue to sell their digital title AT BEST for the same price as the physical options, and it sucks.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I like the convenience of digital, but it's NOT a convenience that should be paid for. The real convenience is for the publisher, who doesn't have to pay for discs, packaging, storage, shipping, or processing employees. It's ridiculous to think a digital game would be more than $50, let alone more than the physical option, which comes with the ability to make money off of reselling the game later.

The Microsoft gift card's an interesting option, might see about getting one. The thing that would keep me from it is the aforementioned crap sales Microsoft offers. IDK what I'd buy with $30 in Microsoft money when they never have anything at a worthwhile price.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
See that's were we differ in opinion. Convenience is something you pay for regularly, and is something that is worth money to me. And if you live in the sticks like me, not driving to town saves me anywhere between $5-10 in gas. I will do the same thing renting a movie. I'll rent a movie from MGo for $3 rather then drive to a redbox to rent it for $1. So far (and usually) all the digital games i've purchased have been on day 1 at full price. I only buy games digitally I know i dont want to return/resell/give away. If I know im goign to play it and resell/trade it in then i buy it on disc.

You have to bet there will be some arcade games that you will want at some point. Or a season pass, or DLC. I may buy another $20 worth tomorrow :p $40 for $60 thats $20 off a game that you can buy on day 1. Lets not forget that it can be used on Windows Phone and Windows 8 and Xbox 360. :p

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm definitely done buying games on the 360, and I've lost almost all interest in playing games on my 920. I never took to the Metro games on Windows 8 either, so it's almost purely going to be Xbox One spending for me.

But like I said, convenience is greater for the distributor than the customer here. The $5-10 saved in gas pales in comparison to the money saved by not needing all of those physical resources for retail games. Steam's a perfect example of where sales show the benefit of digital distribution. Microsoft likely would save millions annually if it went all-digital, where as consumers would likely save less on transportation than the publishers would in physical distribution costs, which is why I call it garbage that we should pay MORE for a less-costly method of delivery.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
One of the reasons Steam is able to have those incredible sales is because they really aren't competing against anyone that could have an adverse affect on their own sales.

Microsoft starts undercutting brick and mortar stores - those stores *may* just stop selling their games. Which would be a HUGE cut into MS' profits. And would not make up the difference that digital sales would bring in.

Much of what Steam sells isn't available in physical stores - and most PC gamers don't buy their games from physical stores anyways. So selling games for cheap really hasn't affected them. When you've pretty much 'cornered' the market on PC game sales - it doesn't matter what anyone else does in response to you. The pros definitely outweigh the cons with Steam. With Microsoft it doesn't.

I want there to be cheaper games on XBOX Live too, but I'm also a realist. It isn't like Sony is putting out major sales here either - they're under the same constraints too. Granted I still feel that if MS was able to go forth into their original vision we might be seeing some better digital sales...

I feel XBOX Live's store and the PSN Store are going through the same 'growing pains' in digital sales that Steam started out with (when it was considered an incredibly difficult, big riddled, DRM hassle, with not much of an advantage (you could still buy most PC games in physical stores - sometimes for cheaper) by almost ALL PC gamers when it debuted... now look at it...

Until console gamers as a whole see the benefit of download only sales - we won't get those big sales from our respective store fronts...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand and agree to an extent, but that really doesn't excuse the rarity of Microsoft's sales, nor does it excuse the low discounts. While stores COULD pull games from the shelves, I don't think that would happen unless the One's sales went 75% digital or something. They make a meaningful amount of money on the quantity of sales, I imagine. I wouldn't consider myself a typical consumer, but I would say that pulling games from the store would be more-likely to convince me to boycott the store for all purchases, not Microsoft.

If they just consistently had games at prices competitive with the physical competition, I would be OK with it. However, they're usually $10-15 more than the physical stuff, which is crazy. I mean, why would I go spend $60 on the digital download of NBA 2K14 when I could go to Best Buy, price match to Amazon's $40, then not have to wait for the hours of downloading to play it? I could also go the route of third-party seller on Amazon, get the game for $29, then wait 5-7 days for delivery, because half the price is worth the wait, IMO.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just saying, I don't recommend touching any of these early indie games with a 10-foot pole. Those are the Games with Gold fodder for the first 6 months, I imagine. Paying for them at this point is just a waste, IMO.

Also, crap sales again. I guess Tomb Raider isn't the worst at $30, but I feel like I could get a better deal elsewhere inside of a month.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb