Ebay digital game sales

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Having just been stung, I thought I'd let other people know about the issues of buying digital copies of games from ebay sellers.

Theses are sellers that are providing a game attached to an xbox live profile. You can find a few sellers on ebay.co.uk doing so. I had presumed they were bulk purchasers of Xbox live games codes and were using the accounts simply to distribute those codes without having the risk of someone coming back saying the code didn't work.

The considerable saving on the digital download price is what had me interested. With Watchdogs being a ?60 purchase from the xbox store it's easy to see why a seller selling the same for half the price would have buyers lining up.

Here are a couple of reasons why you should NOT purchase these types of games, none of which I was aware of when making my purchase.
Firstly EBay's buyer protection doesn't cover digital products, so if it goes wrong (and it probably will) you'll loose out to the sellers advantage.
(source: eBay Money Back Guarantee look in the Not Covered section.)

Secondly, and this is what gives these sellers all the power, there are rules about buying and selling Live accounts.
Basically if you purchase an account from someone else, you are classed as having stolen that account. The punishment for this can be a little extreme. You can loose access to your account, or even have your console banned.
(source: http://enforcement.xbox.com/Home/StaySafe Click account theft)
While I was having problems with my seller, who changed the password after I had installed the game on my xbox, I spoke to Microsoft via their online chat support. I made it quite clear how I became the "owner" of the account. They never mentioned it being against the t&cs.

I feel very fortunate that I am not subject to a ban, and I managed to get my money refunded.

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to purchase digital download stuff - I'd make sure it is a download CODE and not an already purchased item attached to another account...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb