09-24-2015 10:40 PM
185 ... 5678
tools
    Best.Scene.Evar.

"Brute ships, staggered line.

Shipmaster, they outnumber us three to one!"

"then it is an even fight. ALL CRUISERS, FIRE AT WILL. BURN THEIR MONGREL HIDES"
    jlzimmerman and Tom87 like this.
    11-23-2014 02:15 PM
    After the multiplayer patch things seemed to start working better yesterday, then 1PM rolled around and for the rest of the day TMCC was completely broken. No matches could be made and twice the game completely crashed. The Halo Channel is broken too. What a complete debacle 343 and MS have made this. How so incompetent the were to not ensure that the most palatable portion of this game worked properly. Unreal. After looking at the twitter feeds it appears that not all that many people had success after the patch. I tweeted the hell out of xbox/MS/343/Halo and even Phil Spencer. Somebody's head needs to roll.
    11-24-2014 10:38 AM
    Bit of a noob question so apologies in advance. But how do you go about playing campaign online co-op? Is it the same was a multiplayer so invite your friend to "Party & Game" and then just start playing?
    11-25-2014 07:27 AM
    Bit of a noob question so apologies in advance. But how do you go about playing campaign online co-op? Is it the same was a multiplayer so invite your friend to "Party & Game" and then just start playing?
    Yep just get them in your game session and start playing w/e missions you want to play.
    11-25-2014 09:49 AM
    Well, sort of. In my experience, it's more like: Join party, select mission, lose connection, repeat several times until the game lets you play.

My friend and I have 2 more missions to go in the co-op campaign in Halo 2. At first, we'd get in with maybe one disconnect. Then, it would take 3-4 attempts to get rolling. Last night, we tried at least 6 times to play, and the game wouldn't start a single time, so we just gave up after maybe half an hour of constantly trying to get it going. I really hope that this week's patch fix things.
    11-25-2014 09:41 PM
    Hmm we never have any issues once we are in a party together. Sometimes it wont put us in a party and we both just kill the app from the home screen and re-load and that always fixes it.

Once we are in a party tho we can play missions or multiplayer without issues usually, unless we need to back out to the main menu then it sometimes doesnt take everyone. I've found if the game starts being weird everyone going to the home screen hitting start and killing the game usually fixes it.
    11-26-2014 01:07 PM
    After the last update, I've had much better luck with multiplayer. Comparing it to multiplayer on Titanfall, I think it might be slightly slower, though the way MCC shows progress makes it FEEL slow, even when it's being an entirely reasonable amount of time. A couple of more updates and it should be golden- right about now, I give it a C+ or so (on the connection front, it's fun on a game front).
    12-02-2014 10:38 PM
    This is more to do with Halo 5 multiplayer beta, but thank god I wasn't hyped for this game's (or Halo's in general) multiplayer side. I've always known I'm not a fan of this kind of arcade bubblegum shooters where every character is a bullet sponge.

I realize there is plenty of skill involved too and getting used to (yes, I only played two rounds, but it was that uninteresting to me), but between fighting connection problems and the awful gameplay, it pretty much made sure I won't even try MP again in a Halo-franchise. There wasn't one single thing that Halo 5 MP had better than say.. Titanfall, that I'm very fond of. I like the Halo universe/setting, but I can get that with the singleplayer. Titanfall will remain to me as the king of FPS :D
    12-20-2014 02:09 PM
    I'd probably peg a bunch of things I'd give Halo over Titanfall myself. I won't bother, but I'll just say that at the end of the day, the core of Titanfall feels HEAVILY like Call of Duty, and that's not necessarily a compliment.

That said, Guardians took a bit to get used to. The first match was a nightmare, as its default controls are CoD-like, and given that Halo doesn't play like CoD entirely, it made it a horrible experience. After I changed the controls to the Halo 4 setup and played a few matches, it felt like a decent mix of Halo 4's pacing and the older titles' tactics. What's more, I had very few connection issues. Yesterday and this morning, it was almost flawless, with just one connection drop. Late tonight, it was struggling, but it was only for maybe 15 minutes.

I need a lot more beta time to evaluate the multiplayer better, mostly how the weapons all feel, what the map experiences will be, and which weapons are and aren't present. It's definitely an improvement over Advanced Warfare, it's better than Titanfall as well, but I'm not sure if I'd put it above Halo 4 as a whole without knowing more. Two maps, one game type, and 7 weapons isn't enough to judge the entirety of Guardians against Halo 4, but I can at least say that these 2 beta maps (one being a Midship remake) are a lot better than the trash maps of Halo 4.
    12-20-2014 11:47 PM
    It's probably more to do with kind of what subgenre of FPS you prefer. Like you say, Halo and Titanfall for example are built on very different foundations. That said, I've never been a fan of CoDs (more of a Battlefield guy rather than CoD), but I think Titanfall takes the fast gameplay of CoD and puts it in the right and worthy setting. When it's a realistic'ish setting like CoDs typically (except AW), it feels just stupid and arcade.

It's no secret that I like games with low time to kill that are built around ADS. So a game with high TTK like Halos are tough to enjoy for me. It might be an unpopular opinion (like fe. based on how many hardcore servers vs. normal servers there are up and running in fe. BF4), but I really can't stand the bullet sponge playstyle, even if it emphasizes on one's ability to track well and all that. What annoys me most is getting a drop on several people, but the damage model making sure I have no realistic way to take them both/all out other than with a nade or smth, you can kill one until the other/rest turn around and shoot you. Whereas in a game like Insurgency or Red Orchestra for example I could pretty much kill everyone in the room before they got chance to retaliate if I sneaked up behind them. Some complain about the "it's just about who sees who first", but that's a huge skill set by itself, not to mention seeing by itself isn't enough, you still need to aim, but then we get into the twitch shooting vs. tracking kinda thing :P

The other problem is the floatyness of it all. Halo's movement didn't really feel tight at all. I felt like I was just hovering around the map. Once again might just be a preference thing of the subgenre, but I really just don't like it :P
    12-21-2014 04:21 AM
    I like both Halo and Titanfall - and I absolutely LOVED the Halo 5 beta glimpse that we got.

When the 'full beta' (which sounds weird and wrong to say) experience opens up on the 29th, I'm sure will get a better understanding of what Halo will play like since it'll have more weapons, 7 maps, and 3 gametypes. Regardless - the Halo 5 beta was the best MP experience I've had since Titanfall this year. Which reminds me... I need to play some Titanfall soon ;)

And as a fan of Halo - the thing I dislike the most is the ridiculously overpowered pistol... Bah, to be able to kill me with a pistol from across the map just seems... wrong...

Other than that I loved the more fast paced gameplay of Halo 5 MP. I also liked how they implemented the sprint into the game where your shields don't recharge while sprinting. That adds a little more strategy to the gameplay.

It's the first time playing a halo game where I had a K/D ratio higher than -0.5. But, that also might be because there weren't as many people playing in it - thus limiting the amount of 'Halo stars' playing the game...
    12-22-2014 10:01 AM
    Anybody else got a message on Live from Xbox thanking you for persevering with Halo TMCC and giving you an extra one month Live Gold to your subscription?
    01-17-2015 06:51 PM
    Anybody else got a message on Live from Xbox thanking you for persevering with Halo TMCC and giving you an extra one month Live Gold to your subscription?
    Nope 😡
    01-17-2015 06:59 PM
    Yes, it was part of their offering consolation to those who played the game online from 11/11-12/19, and was announced about a month ago. They also said they would add a couple of cosmetic items in-game, I think, and we're going to get the ODST campaign for free in the spring.
    01-17-2015 10:27 PM
    I didn't play the game online. I'm not sure what time it was in US at the time, but when those news came out about the compensation, I quickly installed the game that I had for two weeks already, still in plastics (was busy playing and doing other things). I started up the game but didn't start SP or MP. Regardless it was the last day of that offer or already the next day, but I also got the message, so I'm thinking just starting the game during that time must've been enough.

I was really bummed that I was gonna miss the free ODST, but I guess I'm not, since I also got the free month of Live!
    01-18-2015 03:56 AM
    I have bought Halo a week ago and I was not able to play only one time online (it didn't find any other players). Am I doing something wrong or is that a known problem?
    01-18-2015 04:04 AM
    That's pretty cool then. Also I didn't know about ODST! Hoping it breaks again so they release Reach lol
    01-18-2015 05:57 AM
    I'm just guessing that they planned from the start to add the ODST and Reach campaigns as paid DLC, and when things went poorly, they offered the former for free. That makes me hope that those who missed out can get the ODST campaign as a $10 add-on or something, and that Reach will follow in the summer. It would make sense...

Fall 2014: TMCC
    Winter 2014-2015: Guardians beta and Spartan Strike
    Spring 2015: ODST campaign
    Summer 2015: Reach campaign
    Fall 2015: Guardians

A full year of Halo. That would be nice.
    Tom87 likes this.
    01-18-2015 04:16 PM
    I'm just guessing that they planned from the start to add the ODST and Reach campaigns as paid DLC, and when things went poorly, they offered the former for free. That makes me hope that those who missed out can get the ODST campaign as a $10 add-on or something, and that Reach will follow in the summer. It would make sense...

Fall 2014: TMCC
    Winter 2014-2015: Guardians beta and Spartan Strike
    Spring 2015: ODST campaign
    Summer 2015: Reach campaign
    Fall 2015: Guardians

A full year of Halo. That would be nice.
    Now THAT would be perfect. And go a long way to restoring 343's reputation also. Fingers crossed you're right :)
    01-18-2015 06:04 PM
    By the way, I've been playing this off-and-on a bit of late. If you want someone to play with, add me. Just send me a PM so I know who you are.
    01-29-2015 04:02 PM
    Still progressing through Halo CE, just finished Two Betrayals. I just have to say that they don't quite make them anymore like they used to. Obviously the first Halo is and was very limited by technology back then, but I find myself wondering several times per level/mission that how come games these days don't do something the way it was done in this 2002 title lol.
    01-31-2015 10:49 AM
    The only game that 'plays' like Halo:CE at the moment is Wolfenstein: A New Order. Halo: CE is tough because it play so fundamentally different than games today. A part from the new Wolfenstein game (which I got for my birthday and I'm enjoying also) no game has you go find health packs and such. You just wait until your health refills while ducking for cover.

I also noticed (and I think i've mentioned before) that Halo: CE isn't very hand-holdy at all. It doesn't direct you where to go all that often. Which is both nice and frustrating since every game today shows you where to go with a nice fancy beacon and path on the floor...

Still progressing through Halo CE, just finished Two Betrayals. I just have to say that they don't quite make them anymore like they used to. Obviously the first Halo is and was very limited by technology back then, but I find myself wondering several times per level/mission that how come games these days don't do something the way it was done in this 2002 title lol.
    02-01-2015 01:44 PM
    The only game that 'plays' like Halo:CE at the moment is Wolfenstein: A New Order. Halo: CE is tough because it play so fundamentally different than games today. A part from the new Wolfenstein game (which I got for my birthday and I'm enjoying also) no game has you go find health packs and such. You just wait until your health refills while ducking for cover.

I also noticed (and I think i've mentioned before) that Halo: CE isn't very hand-holdy at all. It doesn't direct you where to go all that often. Which is both nice and frustrating since every game today shows you where to go with a nice fancy beacon and path on the floor...
    Exactly my thoughts too. I just finished Halo CE today and I still think that even on today's standards the game is quite something, even if many mechanics are quite dated. But yeah, the first half of the game that lack of handholdyness was a bit weird to me too. "What, I have to figure out where to go myself?" :D

Although, in the 2014 reboot of Thief, I turned of all HUD markers implying where to go, somehow in that game it felt like that's how it needs to be.

EDIT: Wow. I just started Halo 2. Not only does this game look gorgeous remastered, the cutscenes are frigging epic. I just finished the first mission and my jaw is kinda on the floor but at the same time I have a big smile on my face. I kinda just realized how much I've missed out on not having a chance to play any of these games before (short from Halo CE once through as co-op at friends back in 2002 or so). I mean Halo CE was also great, but so far (given, just one missioni in) with Halo 2 I'm frigging stoked!
    Last edited by Coreldan; 02-01-2015 at 02:58 PM.
    02-01-2015 02:07 PM
    Completely agree with the "open world" feel of CE. When I first played through it on MCC I nearly got lost early in the game quite a few times!

I'm currently playing through Halo 2 Anniversary campaign with a friend online, and we're bothed just awed by the new graphics and cut scenes. It just feels like a brand new game, yet familiar. We're about half way through (just completed "The Oracle") and loving it so far. Bring on the rest.
    02-02-2015 11:24 AM
    The long awaited patch is now live: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/c...t-update-notes

According to the Halo WP forums, this has dramatically improved online gameplay.

We're back!
    03-04-2015 06:49 AM
185 ... 5678