So what are y'all's thoughts on E3 so far after 'Day 0' with the MS, Sony, Ubisoft, and EA conferences?

I was REALLY impressed with Assassin's Creed - I've wanted to play in that world with friends for so long. Now I get to! I'm actually more excited about that game than I was/am for ACIV (still haven't beaten ACIV yet either...).

I thought some of the smaller games look awesome - Ori and the Blind Forest, Inside, Cuphead, Valiant Hearts all looked great.

The fitness game from Ubi looked interesting too. Making fitness an actual game is nice. I'm a competitive person. Stinks that Ubi was doing more to sell the Kinect than MS was...

I'm intrigued by No Man's Sky. I love the idea - everyone starts on a different world and hopes to one another. I'm always intrigued by procedurally generated stuff. My hesitation with it is that - what's the point? What's the story? WHY am I searching out these random primitive planets and finding new life? I get the feeling that after about an hour I'm going to get bored. Every time I see NMS I can't help but look for Peter Molyneux because he promised such cool things in his games and they never hit the hype he had for them...

The Order 1886 looks good - but that wasn't a good way to showcase it in my mind. Shoot a few times - cut scene - shoot two times - cut scene - shoot - cut scene. It is pretty though.

I thought it was funny that in the PS Now beta that will be rolling out next month - one of the games to try is MGS 5: Ground Zeroes. So - PS4 users can play the PS3 version of MGS5:GZ on their PS4s through PS Now, instead of playing the PS4 version of that game.

Overall I think they were all good. Though it does stink that a lot of the REALLY cool games don't come out until sometime in 2015...
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    06-10-2014 10:24 AM
    They announced Xbox pricing my country (India). I am very excited to buy one.
    06-10-2014 10:25 AM
    GTA for PC <3
    06-10-2014 10:26 AM
    Also - At least now I know when I'll be getting a PS4 - Sometime in 2015/2016 when Uncharted 4 comes out. Hopefully the system will have a price drop by then :) I got a PS3 (since sold it to get the XBOX One) when Uncharted 2 came out and the slim PS3 debuted at what - 250 or 299?
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    06-10-2014 10:27 AM
    Crackdown
    Sunset Overdrive
    Halo Collection
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Forza Horizon 2

Be still, my beating heart.
    06-10-2014 10:31 AM
    Well, a few things to mention:

EA: Terrible show. Battlefield got the only gameplay demo. The rest was CG crap. None of their games interest me, either. I thought Hardline looked cool, but their decision to go PC/PS4 with the beta killed my interest. So, no EA games for me in 2014. I was hoping for a baseball announcement, no dice.

Indie: Ugh...I hate indie games SO much. Ori...what's so special? It's a platformer/side-scroller, whoo. The new game from the Limbo people...side-scrolling boredom. There's just so little to like about these games, for me. If I want a side-scroller and/or platformer, I'll play my Wii U. Some of the more-involved indie titles they previewed looked kind of neat, but some looked like clones as well (one looked an attempt at copying Skyrim/The Elder Scrolls, for example). I'm glad they're checking that box to shut people up, but nothing impressed me from that lineup.

Ubisoft: The Division looks amazing, but their demo people SUCK. They talk like they're reading a script in-game. The PLAY like they're trying to read the script while playing. Their people don't do that game's potential justice--the demo needs to be semi-organic. Didn't see The Crew, sadly (was it there and I missed it, or just not there?). Rainbow Six looked decent, but sort of like a C-S clone with more physics (shooting up the walls and breaching was cool). Assassin's Creed looked a LOT better--the combat and movement seemed faster and better-paced, so it's not sluggish to play. However, without an anthology on the One, I won't get it because I won't know the story.

Sony: I don't have a PS4, so I don't care.

Nintendo: Here's hoping we get Fire Emblem and a decent Pokemon game.

Microsoft: Halo looks great, new and old. Horizon seems pretty, like the whole series, but they gave no real information. It's an open-world racer, so we NEED to know the size of the world. If it's the size of Watch Dogs (allegedly 7 minutes end-to-end) it's useless, haha. No Gears but I don't expect that until 2016, MAYBE late-2015, since they just got the series to Black Tusk a couple of months ago. Fable looked dumb. Sunset Overdrive looks REALLY good. Yawn at the indie stuff, as I said. The remake of Phantom Dust might be neat, no idea what the game it. Crackdown is a pass because I missed the previous titles. I was disappointed at the failure to get a new, first-party IP out there to be excited about.
    06-10-2014 10:40 AM
    The Crew was shown - apparently you can drive coast to coast in that game and that there are some missions that take 2+ hours of driving to complete.

I mentioned on twitter last night - when you brag about the whole US being available in your game - I better be able to drive to my house - or I'll be pissed. If I am able to drive to my house - I'll be scared.

There are indie games - and then there are 'Indie' games. Some of the indie games don't interest me at all (like the clone of Skyrim/Elder Scrolls - I saw that too played like a game from late 90s early 2000s IMO) - but then there are those that evoke emotion and strike me visually. Cuphead looked awesome - I love the art direction - it looks like a 30s/40s cartoon. that's awesome. Ori and the Blind Forest and Valiant Hearts both pulled at my heartstrings. I want to play those. In fact, I showed my wife the Valiant Hearts trailer and she said that that is one of the FIRST games she'd WANT to watch me play because she liked the setup of the story...

My biggest gripe with some indie games is their length and scope. They'll have a really cool element and their 'longevity' is based on replay. But sometimes the first time was enough - especially now that some indie games are made famous for their difficulty. I'm not as good at games as I used to be...

But, if a game has a compelling story that draws me in I'll play it - indie or not.
    06-10-2014 10:55 AM
    I'm more of a gameplay person than a story one, for many games. That speaks mostly to multiplayer-heavy games like CoD and Titanfall, though. My thing is that all of those side-scrolling platformers are basically taking the great Xbox One controller, and giving us about 3 controls. Beyond the stick/d-pad and maybe a jump button, the real estate of the controller is wasted, and it makes the gameplay feel shallow, to be honest. The Wii U is different--you need about 3 buttons and a d-pad, and that's what they give you.
    06-10-2014 11:19 AM
    If it's the size of Watch Dogs (allegedly 7 minutes end-to-end) it's useless, haha.
    I suppose the games will be quite different. Watch Dogs is mostly a dense city of Chicago. I noticed you talk about how "small" watch dogs is earlier too, but I have a bit hard time agreeing. There's just about no reason to ever drive the map from one end to another on the highways, I suppose if most of the game was just that higway (something like Forza Horizon feels more about big roads etc).

I guess I'm just trying to say that I think it's just meh to try and say Watch Dogs is such a small playable area cos of 7 minutes from one end to another, you will see like 5% of the playable world if you do just that :P
    06-10-2014 12:21 PM
    Okay, so...I don't bother with the Publishers' conferences, since EA is predictable and Ubisoft always has a tinge of controversy, so I always catch wind of what happens to them.

I was disappointed by what Sony pulled off. Really disappointed. Pulled out of the MS playbook for E3 '13.
    Oh well, PS4 will always be my third choice as long as Japanese devs keep developing for it. (Fourth, technically, since Vita has games.)

Microsoft? I was impressed to a certain extent. Aside from the FPSes, I actually liked their lineup. Well, that was about it.

Nintendo? Midway through the presentation, I can say that they've "won." (Hey, the new Zelda bring presented midway through when it was clearly something that could lead to a mic-drop is noteworthy.)

The real winners are those going Wii U + PS4/XBOX One this gen, though. 2015 is going to be a great year to be a gamer!
    (I just need Senran Kagura 2 to be localized, and I'm a happy gamer.)
    06-10-2014 12:39 PM
    Some neat Nintendo stuff - except all the good stuff is coming out in 2015... can the Wii U even last that long?

2015 is shaping up to be the best and worst year for gaming. Best because everything is dropping that year - worst because we won't all be able to afford our pretty new things!
    06-10-2014 01:08 PM
    I suppose the games will be quite different. Watch Dogs is mostly a dense city of Chicago. I noticed you talk about how "small" watch dogs is earlier too, but I have a bit hard time agreeing. There's just about no reason to ever drive the map from one end to another on the highways, I suppose if most of the game was just that higway (something like Forza Horizon feels more about big roads etc).

I guess I'm just trying to say that I think it's just meh to try and say Watch Dogs is such a small playable area cos of 7 minutes from one end to another, you will see like 5% of the playable world if you do just that :P
    I can somewhat agree. However, it just feels like there isn't much to explore. I found my self fast-traveling a LOT at the end because the world's so small that you see it a million times in the first 20 hours. You also spend so much time out of the car that it's not a big deal though. The main point is that they made the world small, but it's also very dense. The down side to that is that the density becomes redundancy quickly. For the past few days I was playing, phone hacks were almost ALWAYS a previously-heard conversation. The "personal" information was copied a lot by the end as well, and everything was really stale.

Okay, so...I don't bother with the Publishers' conferences, since EA is predictable and Ubisoft always has a tinge of controversy, so I always catch wind of what happens to them.

I was disappointed by what Sony pulled off. Really disappointed. Pulled out of the MS playbook for E3 '13.
    Oh well, PS4 will always be my third choice as long as Japanese devs keep developing for it. (Fourth, technically, since Vita has games.)

Microsoft? I was impressed to a certain extent. Aside from the FPSes, I actually liked their lineup. Well, that was about it.

Nintendo? Midway through the presentation, I can say that they've "won." (Hey, the new Zelda bring presented midway through when it was clearly something that could lead to a mic-drop is noteworthy.)

The real winners are those going Wii U + PS4/XBOX One this gen, though. 2015 is going to be a great year to be a gamer!
    (I just need Senran Kagura 2 to be localized, and I'm a happy gamer.)
    I disagree with the Nintendo sentiment. They are going for the Activision money grab with the toys, even if they're making them more-widespread across several games. The real problem I have with Nintendo is two-fold:

1. No Pokemon or Fire Emblem. I want them badly.

2. Even if you wan Mario Party, SSB, Yoshi, AND Zelda, you're talking about one game in 2014 and 3 in 2015 (maybe a fourth with Star Fox, though it could be 2016, for all we know). The quantity doesn't match the quality. There are probably a dozen-plus games on the One I want in that time.

In 2014, here are how my game purchases will likely compare:

Wii U:

1. New Super Mario Bros. U (free with console)
    2. Super Luigi U (free with console)
    3. Mario Kart 8
    4. Pikmin 3 or The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (free with Mario Kart 8)
    5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    6. Sonic: Lost World
    7. Super Smash Bros. U

Xbox One:

1. Titanfall (free with console)
    2. Forza Motorsport 5
    3. Kinect Sports Rivals
    4. Powerstar Golf (free through Bing Rewards)
    5. Watch Dogs
    6. Zoo Tycoon
    7. Pure Pool
    8. The Golf Club
    9. Forza Horizon 2/The Crew (only one of them)
    10. Evolve
    11. Sunset Overdrive
    12. NBA 2K15
    13. Halo: The Master Chief Collection

All of that ignores the potential releases I might pick up, like Disney Infinity 2.0, Metro 2033 Redux, Metro: Last Light Redux, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, and the possible indie games I might grab later. It also ignores the already-released games I might pick up on-sale, like Tomb Raider and Ryse. In the realm of games I'm 75% likely to buy this year, you're talking about double the number for the Xbox One, and that's with a one-year head start for the Wii U in building a library.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    06-10-2014 03:07 PM
    I was really excited about Arkham Knight...I'm a sucker for the Arkham games, really looking forward to the new Batmobile mode and the Scarecrow missions. Mortal Kombat X also looks like it's going to be really good, too. I wish they showed some gameplay from the Phantom Pain, though. I can't get excited about that or Uncharted without some real gameplay, otherwise they feel like they're too far in the future to worry about now.
    06-10-2014 03:21 PM
    Halo: The Master Chief Collection- Buying
    Rainbow Six: Siege- Buying
    Forza Horizon 2- Buying
    Crackdown- interested
    GTA V- interested
    06-10-2014 03:39 PM
    Some great stuff coming later this year and obviously next year, but problem is... how to afford and find time to play all this stuff?! Especially when the new WoW expansion is coming out probably around fall too. I don't really have even time for the game anymore, but I've played every expansion (and the base game obviously) of the game so far, so I can't sit this one out :P I don't play it like 100% actively, but I come and go during the expansion typically. I have an amazing raid guild so they're half the reason I want to return, right now I can't justify paying the sub just to chat with them :P
    06-10-2014 03:39 PM
    I've excited for The Witcher 3 and Halo MCC, getting those right away.

However, I am very curious about No Man's Sky. They trailer looks amazing, but like a poster above said.. what can you really do in it? Is it like Minecraft where you can build bases and ships and stuff? But ignoring that, the scope looks so epic.. Walking around on a planet, jumping into your ship and seamlessly flying into space and landing on another planet? So fricken cool.

Unfortunately it will first launch on the PS4 (but probably the PC too, so I can get it there.) Not officially coming to the XBone yet. God I hope it does, assuming it is good.
    06-10-2014 04:14 PM
    I'm not a big gamer, but am definitely interested in Forza Horizon 2 and the new Assassin's Creed game. Sunset Overdrive looks intriguing as well.
    06-10-2014 04:20 PM
    I didn't get to raid much after Cataclysm, and while I played and like Mists, I had no raid spot, so I got bored after a couple of months. I'll probably skip this one, unless my friend (who got me into the game right before Wrath) gets it. Even then, I need a guild to enjoy it, because the one I was in didn't have a raid spot for me or ever do anything, really. The real thing is that I can't be bothered to spend $15/month on WoW for more than 4 months in a row (6-10 months off after that), and when you add the cost and time spent on the upcoming games..no time for WoW.

My real issue with time is how they expect us to fit all 4 Halo titles into a month before the Guardians beta...like, I need more time! I'm not sure which games I will be set on getting by the time we get to fall. I want about 6, but I won't have time to fit them all in between September and December, nor do I care to turn over $60 for a game that will be on-sale for $40 by the time I get to it. The best guess I can give as to what I will purchase on the One:

June:
    Zoo Tycoon (got it for $11)

July:
    None

August:
    None

September:
    Forza Horizon 2

October:
    Evolve
    Sunset Overdrive

November:
    Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Vague Launches:
    Pure Pool (Summer)
    The Golf Club (Summer)
    06-10-2014 04:26 PM
    I didn't get to raid much after Cataclysm, and while I played and like Mists, I had no raid spot, so I got bored after a couple of months. I'll probably skip this one, unless my friend (who got me into the game right before Wrath) gets it. Even then, I need a guild to enjoy it, because the one I was in didn't have a raid spot for me or ever do anything, really. The real thing is that I can't be bothered to spend $15/month on WoW for more than 4 months in a row (6-10 months off after that), and when you add the cost and time spent on the upcoming games..no time for WoW.

My real issue with time is how they expect us to fit all 4 Halo titles into a month before the Guardians beta...like, I need more time! I'm not sure which games I will be set on getting by the time we get to fall. I want about 6, but I won't have time to fit them all in between September and December, nor do I care to turn over $60 for a game that will be on-sale for $40 by the time I get to it. The best guess I can give as to what I will purchase on the One:
    Yeah, I'm with you there. If it wasn't for a good guild, I wouldn't play. Nor would I play if I couldn't get a raid spot. I personally started back in vanilla and played on and off until start of WotlK. Up till early wotlk I was just doing PVPing, but a friend lured me to try raiding with him and I havnt gone back since. I rerolled to a healer cos the guild needed one and still on that path :P I mostly skipped Cataclysm though. Didn't like the state of the game and my guild back then pretty much died out (in a different guild nowadays) cos everyone else seemed to think the same :D

MoP was the longest I've played in a row without unsubbing, something like 1 year and 3 months, mostly unsubbing cos I didnt have that much time due to getting a baby. I still raided quite a while even with her around, but it started to get hard to not be able to do anything for like 3 hours three nights a week. Probably can't raid like I used to even with WoD but I will at least buy it and level and pre-raid gear up one character. If I can spare the time and/or I can get some sort of a raidspot with such spotty activity, then I might stick around. But I'm also working on my master's thesis the next year, so I really dont know if I can spare the time.

My shopping list for Xbox One is quite unclear atm...

Halo: TMCC is almost a certain purchase for me. Then there's GTA V that is quite interesting to me as I havnt played it much.

So far I'm not that interested in Sunset Overdrive, I'm sure it's fun/good but not quite my style. Then there's like Witcher and Dragon Age that sort of seem like something (I guess Witcher 3 more so) interesting, but still not something I'd rush out to buy right now. Then there's the Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition, but this depends solely on my friends. One of my friends said that he will likely buy it at least if we get a 3rd friend to get it too, but he has D3 on 360 already. I had it on PC, but I might be ready to get it if my friends do. The third friend however already has it on PC and 360 and said that he isnt really interested in buying the game for the third time anymore, so that's sorta meh.

I will likely go until fall without any new purchases. Games with Gold, Watch Dogs, Titanfall will probably keep me busy enough. Then there's Star Citizen on PC... and then WoW: WoD in fall too. Can't really say there would be lack of games to play :P
    06-10-2014 04:58 PM
    Well, I'm all done with Watch Dogs and traded it in today. It's been replaced with Zoo Tycoon, but Xbox Achievements' guide for the game say it's only 35-40 hours to finish the Achievements (which I imagine includes finishing the game). I got bored with Titanfall long ago, though I might get back into it now. The only game I'll play right now is Powerstar Golf though. I'm probably picking a couple (2 of Forza, NBA, Ryse, and Tomb Raider) with the buy 2, get 1 free at Best Buy (Tropical Freeze being the third game), so I'll similarly have plenty to push me through the summer months.

The only summer stuff I'll probably touch will be Pure Pool and The Golf Game, which should both fit well as long-term investments for multiplayer (I'm hoping TGC has real-time multiplayer, not just a Powerstar Golf-like Rivals Mode).
    06-10-2014 05:05 PM
    My list (in order)
    1) Halo 5
    2) Halo:TMCC
    3) Crackdown
    4) GTA V for PC (so many mods.... ❤ )
    5) Battlefront
    6) Assassins Creed: unity (I still haven't finished Black Flag)
    7) CoD: AW (hate all you want lol)
    8) Sunset Overdrive

That's really all that interested me (and all I can afford :'( ) enough to buy, but I thought Witcher 3, Forza Horizon 2, and Uncharted 4 looked pretty good.
    06-10-2014 05:16 PM
    Well, I'm all done with Watch Dogs and traded it in today. It's been replaced with Zoo Tycoon, but Xbox Achievements' guide for the game say it's only 35-40 hours to finish the Achievements (which I imagine includes finishing the game). I got bored with Titanfall long ago, though I might get back into it now. The only game I'll play right now is Powerstar Golf though. I'm probably picking a couple (2 of Forza, NBA, Ryse, and Tomb Raider) with the buy 2, get 1 free at Best Buy (Tropical Freeze being the third game), so I'll similarly have plenty to push me through the summer months.

The only summer stuff I'll probably touch will be Pure Pool and The Golf Game, which should both fit well as long-term investments for multiplayer (I'm hoping TGC has real-time multiplayer, not just a Powerstar Golf-like Rivals Mode).
    I don't think I'll really be bored with Titanfall until Titanfall 2 comes out. Obviously the "I NEED TO PLAY TITANFALL!!!!"-feeling is gone now and currently I have other new titles to play so I havnt touched it much recently (except I had a friend over for a weekend and we were pretty much just playing Titanfall only so thats also why I'm on a lil break :P), but I still dont consider myself in any way bored with it. It's a great shooter that I go to when I feel like playing some multiplayer shooter.

I dunno what I think about AC: Unity. I think for me it suffers from this problem that my friend has been like "Omg AC Black Flag is so awesome, try it!" and then I fool around for 15 mins and go meh. But it's the same with any mostly story driven SP game. You need to really sink into them, not just kill some guards for 15 mins. Same goes for Red Dead Redemption for me. I just get these slightly negative feelings about the game when I think about it, even as a western fan I'd probably love the game if I could play it like I do Watch Dogs now (as in long term on my own, not 15 mins at a friends house).
    06-10-2014 05:20 PM
    Two new game modes coming this month!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...-two-new-modes
    HeyCori likes this.
    06-11-2014 06:47 PM