Kinect trade in?

crunchy pockets

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found a store that is taking the Xbox one Kinect sensor on trade? I don't use it and would like to get something out of it instead of it just sitting in a box.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
GameStop told me they'd start taking them in soon. You could try to sell now, or wait on that. The risk there is that EVERYONE might be trading them in when that starts.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
GameStop told me they'd start taking them in soon. You could try to sell now, or wait on that. The risk there is that EVERYONE might be trading them in when that starts.

I would think that won't happen for the most parts. Obviously those will who have refused to really even try it and it's just sitting in the box, but I think majority who gave it a shot would rather just keep it. Then there are people too who have given it a fair shot but for whatever reason havn't managed to get good enough performance out of it.

I wouldn't consider trading mine in. Quite the contrary, maybe I'll pick up cheap trade-ins for spares! :D Been considering if I should get the Kinect 2 for PC as well when that comes available :p

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I would think that won't happen for the most parts. Obviously those will who have refused to really even try it and it's just sitting in the box, but I think majority who gave it a shot would rather just keep it. Then there are people too who have given it a fair shot but for whatever reason havn't managed to get good enough performance out of it.

I wouldn't consider trading mine in. Quite the contrary, maybe I'll pick up cheap trade-ins for spares! :D Been considering if I should get the Kinect 2 for PC as well when that comes available :p

I think there's a large portion of gamers who are JUST gamers, and don't get much (if any) use out of the Kinect. The only time I use my Kinecy anymore is to turn the console on, and the thing's only about 70% successful with that voice command for me. There are probably 2-3 days in a week where I'll turn my console on with my controller because the third voice command failed.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think there's a large portion of gamers who are JUST gamers, and don't get much (if any) use out of the Kinect. The only time I use my Kinecy anymore is to turn the console on, and the thing's only about 70% successful with that voice command for me. There are probably 2-3 days in a week where I'll turn my console on with my controller because the third voice command failed.

Even just gamers get plenty out of the Kinect if they want to. Even if I'd limit my actions to gaming only on the Xbox One, I'd still find myself using voice commands and the occasion motion/voice gesture in a game (and the even more rare actual Kinect game). I do think that even most of the"just a gamer"s that have given it a fair chance use it enough that trading it away for some probably not that good of a price might not be the most attractive idea. But I guess it depends what these trade-in places value it at.

I don't really even see why "just gamers" would use the Kinect any less than somebody who do other things on the X1 as well, easily half of all my Kinect usage is when playing/about to play a game.

Personally I get very good accuracy out of the voice commands, sadly not the "xbox on", though. It depends on the patch and typically my fiancee can turn it on quite reliably, but it won't work for me most of the time, sadly.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think you answered the question about use yourself. You said that maybe half of your Kinect use is game-related. So, gamers use it half as much as non-gamers, at the most. Honestly, what is the use for the Kinect if you're not gaming, beyond recording a video clip? It's easy to hit home and switch games. It's easy to get to the Achievements.

My thing is that the non-gamers have a legitimate reason to use it for things like media navigation, which doesn't apply to gamers.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think you answered the question about use yourself. You said that maybe half of your Kinect use is game-related. So, gamers use it half as much as non-gamers, at the most. Honestly, what is the use for the Kinect if you're not gaming, beyond recording a video clip? It's easy to hit home and switch games. It's easy to get to the Achievements.

My thing is that the non-gamers have a legitimate reason to use it for things like media navigation, which doesn't apply to gamers.

One of my favourite things gaming related is being able to start up the game before I even sit down and start up the controller. I handy way of "skipping" the splash and loading screens. Given that one gets good enough accuracy out of Kinect, I've still found it easier/faster to change games or go to Achievements with Kinect too, just like putting up the party interface etc.

But I personally rather approach it more along the lines of "I also do twice as much on the Xbox One than "just a gamer" so I also use more Kinect, rather than "he's a gamer so he only has half the use for Kinect". Even as just a gamer I wouldn't trade away my Kinect atm.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not one to play many games at the same time--one, maybe two. So, the "skipping the loading screen" is negated by the fact that the One suspends games (which I love). It takes less than 30 seconds to get the console on and in-game. Like, right now, I'm only playing Powerstar Golf. What I could do it start a tournament, turn the console off, then when I'm ready to play it, the console will have the thing already-loaded. I won't have a use for the Kinect with that.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not one to play many games at the same time--one, maybe two. So, the "skipping the loading screen" is negated by the fact that the One suspends games (which I love). It takes less than 30 seconds to get the console on and in-game. Like, right now, I'm only playing Powerstar Golf. What I could do it start a tournament, turn the console off, then when I'm ready to play it, the console will have the thing already-loaded. I won't have a use for the Kinect with that.

Yeah I love that feature too. Especially now when I've been playing mostly Watch Dogs it's great cos the game has quite long loading screens etc, so it's great when only playing that one game for the week (cos it's new) and I never have to wait for the game to start :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes