Given that the Xbox is now the center of my entertainment world, I am looking at the sound and wondering what amp I should consider.

In the past I have been a bit of a hi-fi buff, I still have a few amps like Quad and a pair of large Tannoy speakers but they are several hundred miles away from where I am staying at the moment, I am now in a small flat and don't currently need a big system. If I moved back to my house then I would hook it all up with my Tannoy's

I am also not that fussed about surround sound, if I have to have it then so be it, but to be honest I would only really hook up stereo speakers as we just don't have room for extra speakers all over the place.

But I do like the thought of using the Xbox to control the system.

My current set up is an Amp connected to the sound output from the TV using phono cables that I turn on when I want, but it needs replacing as it doesn't have a remote and that would be a nice thing to have even if I can't control it from the Xbox.

I understand that to control the amp/receiver you use the HDMI from the Xbox and do a pass through to the TV so whatever I consider would need HDMI in and out, but I really don't want a massive full size receiver, does any one know of a stereo amplifier (Not a receiver) with HDMI ?

I am guessing the Xbox would not control an amplifier if it uses the Optical cable, again the problem would be finding a small amplifier with an optical input or am I wrong, as this would be a potential solution as I could choose a much smaller amp.

What solutions have you hooked up and why?

May spend a few minutes today looking in a Hi-Fi shop and taking advice but they may not know anything about the Xbox's control abilities.

Bob
    06-27-2014 01:07 AM
    How much are you willing to spend on an amp/receiver?
    06-27-2014 01:14 AM
    Not a lot, currently broke as I have given all my money to Microsoft

Bob
    06-27-2014 01:41 AM
    Been thinking this through, I suppose the most important thing for me is after reasonable sound quality is that the amp/receiver has a remote control.

The main question is "Is it important to have an Optical input", in other words does that give me any control over the amp/receiver from the Xbox?

Apart from control does that give me any advantage (Especially sound quality) over using phono connections from the TV, if I do it by phono, it does make it simpler for my wife as it's either off or on and volume that needs to be worried about.

Then it's the other stuff, do I need/want MP3 3.5 jack input, do I need/want USB input, certainly don't need top end features like networking, hard discs. Probably don't need any of this at all as we have plenty of inputs through the PC and the surfaces for more casual listening.

With this setup I don't need massive power, the flat is small, can't go too mad with the volume as we have neighbours to consider, as mentioned if I ever go back to my house I have three sets of large speakers, the Quad amp and a 100 W receiver so no need to think reserve power. Already have a pair of small JVC speakers that are good enough for my current circumstances.

So its in all likely hood going to be a simple stereo amp, with the optical input sound quality/Xbox control being the main question.

Probably not out to spend more than 200, so about 250/300 USD.

Bob
    06-27-2014 04:56 AM
    Top of mind- Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Yamaha...
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk
    06-27-2014 05:00 AM
    Been thinking this through, I suppose the most important thing for me is after reasonable sound quality is that the amp/receiver has a remote control.

The main question is "Is it important to have an Optical input", in other words does that give me any control over the amp/receiver from the Xbox?

Apart from control does that give me any advantage (Especially sound quality) over using phono connections from the TV, if I do it by phono, it does make it simpler for my wife as it's either off or on and volume that needs to be worried about.

Then it's the other stuff, do I need/want MP3 3.5 jack input, do I need/want USB input, certainly don't need top end features like networking, hard discs. Probably don't need any of this at all as we have plenty of inputs through the PC and the surfaces for more casual listening.

With this setup I don't need massive power, the flat is small, can't go too mad with the volume as we have neighbours to consider, as mentioned if I ever go back to my house I have three sets of large speakers, the Quad amp and a 100 W receiver so no need to think reserve power. Already have a pair of small JVC speakers that are good enough for my current circumstances.

So its in all likely hood going to be a simple stereo amp, with the optical input sound quality/Xbox control being the main question.

Probably not out to spend more than 200, so about 250/300 USD.

Bob
    I have a NAD 326BEE Amplifier(using PSB B6 speakers), all analog(RCA) inputs so I bought a FiiO D03K DAC. <-- it converts SPDIF(Optical Output from the Xbox) signal to 192/24bit then out to Left and Right RCA output. :)

then read this: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-o...audio-settings

Set the optical output to "Stereo uncompressed" since the FiiO DAC only accepts PCM format(no Dolby or DTS).
    Last edited by rex.reyesiii; 06-30-2014 at 05:38 AM. Reason: added some technical details. :)
    06-30-2014 05:20 AM
    Been doing a bit more research, turns out I can actually get receivers for about the same price as an amplifier. Over here in the UK we have a chain of shops called Richer Sounds, and have popped in a couple for a look (Not a listen yet).

I have currently settled on either a Pioneer or Yamaha receiver, both one up from the bottom of the ranges, both have lots of HDMI inputs so making for hooking up the PC as well as the Xbox easy and they will be controllable by the XB One, both have plenty of power (Not needed at the moment), again they have lots of connections so I can future proof my needs if I do ever want surround sound, same with USB, 3.5 jack and plenty of other inputs.

My main concern is the size, they are large boxes and I really need the radio section like a hole in the head, would happily not have that facility for a smaller box as long as I didn't have to give up the other facilities.

But it all has to wait till I get back from holiday in a few weeks time.

Still interested in others sound/multimedia setups that you lot use with your XB One, please post up how you have it rigged up.

Bob
    07-02-2014 03:53 AM
    FiiO DAC as recommended above plus a Class D amp.
    07-02-2014 06:21 AM
    Been doing a bit more research, turns out I can actually get receivers for about the same price as an amplifier. Over here in the UK we have a chain of shops called Richer Sounds, and have popped in a couple for a look (Not a listen yet).

I have currently settled on either a Pioneer or Yamaha receiver, both one up from the bottom of the ranges, both have lots of HDMI inputs so making for hooking up the PC as well as the Xbox easy and they will be controllable by the XB One, both have plenty of power (Not needed at the moment), again they have lots of connections so I can future proof my needs if I do ever want surround sound, same with USB, 3.5 jack and plenty of other inputs.

My main concern is the size, they are large boxes and I really need the radio section like a hole in the head, would happily not have that facility for a smaller box as long as I didn't have to give up the other facilities.

But it all has to wait till I get back from holiday in a few weeks time.

Still interested in others sound/multimedia setups that you lot use with your XB One, please post up how you have it rigged up.

Bob
    ^ that's the ideal setup for Entertainment Systems focusing on Games and Movies. I am just in the "Music is best heard in Stereo" school of thought in Audio. :D

But for everybody else who use Computer Speakers(Soundsticks, those Creative powered speakers) can use the (fiio)DAC.

Others can also use the Logitech (Z906) its already 5.1 and can do DTS and Dolby via Coax/SPDIF.
    An HTiB or Home Theater in a Box can also be used, but those include a dvd/bluray player....
    07-03-2014 04:09 AM
    Amp size was my main concern when buying an amp about 1 and half year ago. All those ussual Yamahas, Onkyos, etc. didnt fit my TV rig.
    As 5.1 is enough for me, I start looking at some compact sized 5.1 I finally decided and bought Marantz 1403 Slim Line. Plenty of hdmi inputs, nice sound, DTS support, so it was well engouh for what I need, I don't need USB and all those bells and whistles..
    Price was solid (about $399.00 about 1,5 years ago)
    Marantz US | NR1403
    07-07-2014 06:31 AM