Xbox One in unsupported region

QilleRz

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
How is it feeling for anyone who bought Xbox One in unsupported region? That you can't have XBox Music streaming, Netflix, Hulu Plus and so on. I want to know and is it recommended for me to buy Xbox One even I live in unsupported region?

Another question is, about the game, I prefer to buy the physical one, but after installing, let say I reformat my hard disk, will I be able to install it again? Also I heard about Xbox One need an internet connection to play and you can't share the disk you bought with friend and small fee is required to play used disk. Is it true? Then how can I reinstall the game if I reformat the Xbox One hard disk?

Thanks for your help !

Last edited:

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Even in unsupported region you still have games. :)
Maybe one day, MS will allow the services like Netflix, HuluPlus, etc. worldwide and won't be US only...

if you reformat your hard drive, then of course you will need to reinstall. :) You don't need to be Always online to play games. It will work fine, but gamesaves won't go to cloud.

QilleRz

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Even in unsupported region you still have games. :)
Maybe one day, MS will allow the services like Netflix, HuluPlus, etc. worldwide and won't be US only...

That kind of no other reasons if I choose Xbox One over PS4. Sure I get some achievements, but is there any other cool features that I should get Xbox One in unsupported country over PS4?

QilleRz

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
if you reformat your hard drive, then of course you will need to reinstall. :) You don't need to be Always online to play games. It will work fine, but gamesaves won't go to cloud.

About reformat, I mean it this way. I've installed the game on my Xbox One then I reformat it. Then will I be able to reinstall using the same disc? Or will I need to repurchase again or something like that?

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
About the games, you can safely install/uninstall/install as long as you want (NO FEE). As long as you still have the disk and the disk is in the drive when you want to play the game there's no problem. You can also lend your games to your friends without any problem but while they have the physical disk you won't be able to play (disk has to be in the drive).

About digital copies, if you are in an unsupported region you are not able to buy games from the store. The only way around this is to change your account location to a country where the Xbox one is released with a valid address. The credit card you use for the purchases can be registered in another country though.

About the internet requirement, after you install and update the games you want to play there's no need for an internet connection to my knowledge. Apart from online only games (Titanfall etc).

Hulu Plus, Netflix will not work even if your account location is registered to another country. Is not a Microsoft thing, is an IP based block coming from Netflix, Hulu etc. If they did not launch in your country it won't work. Microsoft Music/Video will also probably be blocked by IP block if they don't have a license to sell music/movies in your country.

QilleRz

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
About digital copies, if you are in an unsupported region you are not able to buy games from the store. The only way around this is to change your account location to a country where the Xbox one is released with a valid address. The credit card you use for the purchases can be registered in another country though.

Really? Now this might hold me out to buy Xbox One.

Curious, how to change my account location and if it get changed, will I be able to stream Xbox Music and Xbox Video anywhere in my PC and my Windows Phone? About the credit card, I don't really understand. Explain please :/

Also, about certain game DLC. If I cannot get them from online store, can I get them physically? Or any other kind of way to get DLC even I can't buy game through the online store since I live in unsupported country.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Well in my case, I live in Switzerland and the Xbox one is not yet available officially here. When you set up the Xbox one you chose the language (French) and you get country options (France). Switzerland is not listed since it didn't launch there. If you chose English you get US and UK as options. Since my Xbox live account was set for Switzerland for the 360 Xbox and the Xbox one was set for UK (I went with the English) the store tells you that the Xbox one account and your Xbox live account locations don't match when you try to buy something. Also, if you go to your xbox live account on a computer the Xbox one section is listed as coming soon so you can't buy stuff there either.

I went by fine for a while buying physical copies in game stores and you can also find the season passes for some of the games there too. DLCs are another matter though, few have physical copies. Anyway, I wanted to buy Valiant hearts and is digital only so I changed the location of my Xbox live account to a friends address in UK (you can change it for free every 3 months so if Xbox one launches in your country in September you might want to just wait). After changing the address of the Xbox live to UK I went on the Xbox live web page and added my credit card info (all the numbers and name and stuff) but with the UK address. After that you can buy whatever you want in the store. If your credit card includes as security checking for the correct billing address I'm not sure if it will work though, mine apparently does not.

Another option a guy from Gamestop suggested (if you don't have a credit card or your credit card asks for too much security info) was to change the Xbox live and Xbox one to UK and then buy in the Gamestop Xbox live credit. You add the numbers and they get converted to pounds and you can buy stuff. I did not test that though but it should work since I had some credit on my account when I switched it and it did get converted to pounds.

kuwari316

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
BTW it isn't microsoft that isn't allowing apps such as hulu and netflix in unsupported regions, its the app owners them selves since they get problems with content owners if it outside the US. Even if you get a ps4 or even on your computer if you go to netflix and it isn't supported in your country it won't work

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
How is it feeling for anyone who bought Xbox One in unsupported region? That you can't have XBox Music streaming, Netflix, Hulu Plus and so on. I want to know and is it recommended for me to buy Xbox One even I live in unsupported region?

Another question is, about the game, I prefer to buy the physical one, but after installing, let say I reformat my hard disk, will I be able to install it again? Also I heard about Xbox One need an internet connection to play and you can't share the disk you bought with friend and small fee is required to play used disk. Is it true? Then how can I reinstall the game if I reformat the Xbox One hard disk?

Thanks for your help !

Whoa wait, this maybe offtopic but is this(the bolded fonts/highlighted) issue still in circulation among the masses?

Maybe the reason why the XB1 is still struggling in sales, well selling less than the competition.

QilleRz

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I went by fine for a while buying physical copies in game stores and you can also find the season passes for some of the games there too. DLCs are another matter though, few have physical copies. Anyway, I wanted to buy Valiant hearts and is digital only so I changed the location of my Xbox live account to a friends address in UK (you can change it for free every 3 months so if Xbox one launches in your country in September you might want to just wait). After changing the address of the Xbox live to UK I went on the Xbox live web page and added my credit card info (all the numbers and name and stuff) but with the UK address.

Thanks for that explanations.

Another questions here how you change you Xbox Live account location? Is it related with your Microsoft account? What I mean here is if I change the location in my Xbox Live, so do my Microsoft account's location get changed or not? Because as I see, I login to Xbox account using Microsoft account.

Btw, as I remember back seems like before this I've changed my Xbox account location to US. I don't remember though the link address for the change I made. But atm I was enable to get music streaming through Xbox music. But only for a week and it prompt me to buy Xbox Live Pass because it detecting my location in unsupported country. Now, what confusing me is, how to change my Xbox Live account location and how to check which region I am now in my Xbox Live account? Is there any different with Xbox Live account and Xbox account which I login using my Microsoft account credential?

Last edited:

QilleRz

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Whoa wait, this maybe offtopic but is this(the bolded fonts/highlighted) issue still in circulation among the masses?

Maybe the reason why the XB1 is still struggling in sales, well selling less than the competition.

Nope, I don't think so. Because after some reading I get that Microsoft is taking back that requirement. Though Xbox One need to be connected only once in it whole lifetime to be able to play games to get day one update. That's all. About the disk, it can be distributed to anyone but to play the game the disk must be in the tray.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I don't think so. Because after some reading I get that Microsoft is taking back that requirement. Though Xbox One need to be connected only once in it whole lifetime to be able to play games to get day one update. That's all. About the disk, it can be distributed to anyone but to play the game the disk must be in the tray.

I'm not even sure if the new consoles don't come with the day one patch installed by now... Also, if you have no internet or a very slow internet you might want to read Xbox one specific reviews on games you plan on buying, few games have "day one patches" of more than 10Gb. Not sure what the devs put on those disks since you're basically re-downloading the whole game in the patch...

QilleRz

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Someone got the answers about my Xbox Live questions? It's confusing me now. I want to know before buying Xbox One in unsupported country. Don't want to regret buying it later :/

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos