The Official "ADD FOR DESTINY" thread

Aviskri

May 13, 2014
Visit site
There's something weird about the level though. It seems more like some.. optional progression-kinda thing. If you look at the screen with the equipped gear, it says he is level 20, but the top right corner with the character name and clan name etc say lvl 29. He was about finishing primary campaign, which also sounded to more around lvl 20'ish thing or so.

The level gap is 20, but with gear you can yet light stat, that rises your level beyond 20. You win motes of light instead of experience once you reach 20, and you can use these for buying new gear with more light.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
After you progress to level 20, you can then collect Motes of Light from enemies. The more you gain, the higher you can go. You can also trade those into the speaker for Legendary Armor. The rank is a moot point at the moment, but in the future level caps will rise. There's also more bonuses such as you can keep leveling and unlock more configurations.

Also notice we only have two subclasses per Class, but there's still an empty box to the left of the classes. You might argue that this is just an extra oversight, but there's also a third subclass slot in you inventory as well. I think they'll up the cap level to 30 by the first Expansion to increase monster levels, add more guns and make more challenging missions.

There has to be more benefits, we just aren't sure yet.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The level cap is only 30? Holy crap, that's some weak sauce. Any idea when the first expansion would launch? I mean, considering that you could easily get to 10 in the first couple of days of playing, the leveling would be dead inside of a week, and I've seen nothing about this game to suggest it would have an endgame experience similar to WoW, where you can still work on heroic dungeons, raids, heroic raids, PvP (arena and BG), professions, reputation, and collection of stuff (mounts, cool gear, titles, etc.).

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The level cap is only 30? Holy crap, that's some weak sauce. Any idea when the first expansion would launch? I mean, considering that you could easily get to 10 in the first couple of days of playing, the leveling would be dead inside of a week, and I've seen nothing about this game to suggest it would have an endgame experience similar to WoW, where you can still work on heroic dungeons, raids, heroic raids, PvP (arena and BG), professions, reputation, and collection of stuff (mounts, cool gear, titles, etc.).
Well it sucks but right now the base level is capped at 20. I'm guessing they'll raise it overtime but that's not a problem with me. I'm guessing each expansion is 6 months into it.

As for the Endgame experience, I think I'ma be playing for a long time after. You might not feel it's worth it but the Endgame exotics are worth it for me.

I can't wait to get exotic and legendary ships, sparrows and especially class gear. The higher level weapons look sick and I'm definitely gonna be running times on High level dungeons. Gonna be sweeeeeet.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I mean, if there's something for you, that's good. I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I have to wonder how long it takes to get those things.

But MMOs have usually resulted in clans who want to chase down difficult challenges (heroic raids), and I guess this game seems to be too shallow to function like a true MMO, but that's just how I see it (Defiance had the same issue).

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I mean, if there's something for you, that's good. I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I have to wonder how long it takes to get those things.

But MMOs have usually resulted in clans who want to chase down difficult challenges (heroic raids), and I guess this game seems to be too shallow to function like a true MMO, but that's just how I see it (Defiance had the same issue).

Well, in all fairness most MMOs outside WoW have that problem. I think it's pretty clear that when it comes to MMORPG like endgame that Destiny won't really have that. Saying that the game is shallow probably sounds worse than it is, but that's sorta how it is. With basically all guardians are practically DPS and there's not all that much variation between them. The encounters, while they have some tactics and mechanics involved, can only be done in so many ways when basically all classes boil down to "you have 3 guns and a super ability".

Anyways, I'll just treat this game mostly as a nice online co-op campaign game with a few friends. We'll probably get a decent amount of hours out of it (through the gear chasing Flagz mentioned), but I'm not expecting this to have any kind of true MMORPG-longevity to it, but I do hope I'm wrong, obviously :D

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, in all fairness most MMOs outside WoW have that problem. I think it's pretty clear that when it comes to MMORPG like endgame that Destiny won't really have that. Saying that the game is shallow probably sounds worse than it is, but that's sorta how it is. With basically all guardians are practically DPS and there's not all that much variation between them. The encounters, while they have some tactics and mechanics involved, can only be done in so many ways when basically all classes boil down to "you have 3 guns and a super ability".

Anyways, I'll just treat this game mostly as a nice online co-op campaign game with a few friends. We'll probably get a decent amount of hours out of it (through the gear chasing Flagz mentioned), but I'm not expecting this to have any kind of true MMORPG-longevity to it, but I do hope I'm wrong, obviously :D

All MMO's have that problem as you stated, but the reason Destiny will keep me is my love for a solid well built FPS. Destiny is going to have ALOT of new content consistently and I already surpassed 3 days of game time in what I feel (according to the leaks) will be 1/20th of the game. I coulda kept playing too but they closed the servers..

The only MMO (Which I wouldn't consider Destiny anyways) to actually solve the problem of endgame content would be RuneScape (yes I still play it, and that's why I still play it) but even they only put a bandage on a vital wound. Games cant solve Endgame content because when does a game truly end for each player? In WoW is it a maxed character? Perfect Setup? In RuneScape is it 99 skills with a Completionist cape? No, the game ends when YOU decide. Destiny won't end when I raid the Glass Vault. It won't end when I Max. The thing is, it's going to End when it Ends.

No one can solve that problem, because Games can only end when you decide to permanently turn off that power button (remove the disc or delete the game actually). This game (you can check my stats when I stop playing for a prolonged time) is going to give me AT MINIMUM 1500 hours of gameplay, GUARENTEED. No lies, no smoke and mirrors, and even then, I'll probably still be playing it often, just not like the first 1500. ;)

Maybe I'm a liar though, but the world may never know.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't doubt your interest in this game, I'm partially just trying to protect myself by not buying all the hype, especially regarding content being added. The content would have to be sanely priced and long enough to justify that price.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Wait, time out, I'm going to have to ask a new question:

How is RuneScape still appealing? I quit that SO MANY years ago because there wasn't anything to do but rinse-repeat the various skills, or risk losing everything in the Wilderness, for not much. More-importantly, they did a wretched job of adding content and handling inflation in that game. Last time I signed in, it wasn't even a rare thing for someone to have gold in the 8-figure area (10 million+). That, and they hadn't released any new gear since the Demon stuff years before THAT.

So, I'm just wondering what RuneScape has going for it in 2014 that it's both worth playing and not out of control with the inflation to the point that being a new player is highly difficult.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Wait, time out, I'm going to have to ask a new question:

How is RuneScape still appealing? I quit that SO MANY years ago because there wasn't anything to do but rinse-repeat the various skills, or risk losing everything in the Wilderness, for not much. More-importantly, they did a wretched job of adding content and handling inflation in that game. Last time I signed in, it wasn't even a rare thing for someone to have gold in the 8-figure area (10 million+). That, and they hadn't released any new gear since the Demon stuff years before THAT.

So, I'm just wondering what RuneScape has going for it in 2014 that it's both worth playing and not out of control with the inflation to the point that being a new player is highly difficult.

Inflation is crazy, but I like that aspect which every MMO is missing. Gold (despite prices being extremely outrageous) means something, PvP is for the Skilled since no one wants to lose things, and the grind keeps you pushing forward because not EVERYONE has a High total skill or maxed levels. It's still difficult, I know people from 10 years ago that play daily that STILL don't have anything maxed.

From a few years ago they changed, they tried the hotbar combat system and that didn't work to well so now they're blending the "Legacy" combat with the Hotbar (you choose what you want) and they also add Summoning, Divination, and Dungeoneering (Hunter too if you left even before that). They added new "God Swords" and God items (Amulets, Weapons and Armor), they just added a new Boss, switched up the JAD Boss for fire capes (added new ones too) and more minigames. PvP works slightly better and removed the trade balancing so you can trade whatever for whatever price (if you were around for the big shebang where they limited items to market price so you couldn't transfer or sell gold). Skills are slightly more balanced and overall they keep adding more to the worlds. New Prayers, Teleports, Areas and etc keep me refreshed. Every time I quit for a few months and come back I'm always so lost considering there's so much I miss out on. New content is weekly (Quest) and now they're really listening to the community and literally adding what the community votes for in a poll. Literally, unless they're rigging the poles which I doubt. There's items in the 8 figures, hell my armor and sword are in the high 200M's. My bank is ~1Bil with no unnecessary rares but a few Phats are maxed out now @ 2147M (2.147B) which is the highest amount of cash stack one can have.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Last I legitimately played, I was in the 1.5 million gold area. Part of why I gave it up is that it was no longer worth the $5/month to me (because I paid to play subbed with friends in high school). Thing is, when your sub ends, it won't let you do anything with your "Member Items," except drop them on the ground. So, I'm not about to just throw my high-level gear down so I can access my bank, that's stupid. And thus, I have no access to most anything on my account, due to space restrictions and non-member matters.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Last I legitimately played, I was in the 1.5 million gold area. Part of why I gave it up is that it was no longer worth the $5/month to me (because I paid to play subbed with friends in high school). Thing is, when your sub ends, it won't let you do anything with your "Member Items," except drop them on the ground. So, I'm not about to just throw my high-level gear down so I can access my bank, that's stupid. And thus, I have no access to most anything on my account, due to space restrictions and non-member matters.
Yeah, Up keep my bank pristine, so when my membership runs out and I'm not playing actively, I can still access everything. Plus I don't need craps seeds and a lot of items really, I can drop the cheap carp if needed since they're just clutter and destroy my random event items since they can be re obtained. I actually like when my membership expires cause my bank always looks so neat after =) Anyway as for on topic, if Destiny had the type of characteristics (or any for that matter) where there's always something to grind ill probably play it more. I'd rather have levels that are nearly unreachable than levels that can be obtained in hours/days or even weeks/months. I want to work to be one of the few and it looks like Gear is gonna be the differentiating factor here. Also gin a be a.king another post with ALOT of info real soon.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who's looking into investing SERIOUS time into Destiny, me and my teammate (back from our old Semi Pro Halo 3 teams) are looking for good key player for raids. We're looking for Heavy Hitters with a HIGH individual skill level who would benefit the fireteam. We would team up with the remainder of our team, but the other 3 can't get an Xbox One until February-ish and we need people to take the place for those 6 months. High Success rates are key, and overall some good experience.

Also, we tried to play Borderlands 2 today with Four people to fill the Binge for Destiny, and well, we realized how awful Borderlands 2 is lol :X

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't get that. The intro on BL 2 is pretty slow and annoying, but it gets a lot better quickly. The lack of what BL is ultimately remains my biggest gripe about Destiny. It doesn't feel like an MMO, the story isn't great, and they don't have the over-the-top action to make up for it, like BL does. BL isn't perfect, but I love it as a co-op campaign game. I guess the thing with BL 2 is that the characters suck, by comparison to the previous title, so a bigger group means a higher likelihood that someone will hate his chosen character. I started BL 2 with my cousin on 360, and I loved being Zer0. I started with a friend on PC, and being the Gunzerker was a depressing failure (going to restart and try the Soldier next time we play).

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't get that. The intro on BL 2 is pretty slow and annoying, but it gets a lot better quickly. The lack of what BL is ultimately remains my biggest gripe about Destiny. It doesn't feel like an MMO, the story isn't great, and they don't have the over-the-top action to make up for it, like BL does. BL isn't perfect, but I love it as a co-op campaign game. I guess the thing with BL 2 is that the characters suck, by comparison to the previous title, so a bigger group means a higher likelihood that someone will hate his chosen character. I started BL 2 with my cousin on 360, and I loved being Zer0. I started with a friend on PC, and being the Gunzerker was a depressing failure (going to restart and try the Soldier next time we play).
This is why I love choices, I'm playing as Zer0 and we got a few hours in and it's just so boring. I dislike the Style, the weapons feel like they never hit (they do hit but it just doesn't feel like it's connecting) and the environment is "meh" at best. I just tried to have appeal for it since I need a good open world shooter to hold me over but so guess it's back to no games until Destiny. We all just logged off feeling disappointed. Destiny to me has more action and biggest battles. It just feels more full but I guess that's what opinions are for and that's why no ONE game rules them all.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Zero is really boring to play. Axton is by far the best experience. I must say Flagz you are starting to sell me on Destiny. Now that evolve is not coming out until February I'll need something to fill the void and this may just be it. I'm looking at Destiny, Halo, and then it's a toss up between Sunset and AC:Unity as my third game (i told myself im only getting 3, at least at full price) this fall.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The news about the end-game hard 6 players raids only available WITHOUT matchmaking sucks. Especially when most of my group of friends are all dads with jobs living in different parts of the country/world through 3 time zones... ugh.

I HOPE that there is a MUCH better communication tool in the Tower when the full game launches. I don't want to be asking for raid partners with a series of dancing, pointing, and waving amidst the 'masses' in the Tower to get a group to go take on a tough boss...

Flagz - Could your sadness with BL2 also be because its on the 360 only? I can't play my 360 anymore... it just...isn't good enough for me :(. I'm notorious for wanting to just play the best and the latest. I haven't played a game on my 360 since Episode 2 of The Wolf Among Us...

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The news about the end-game hard 6 players raids only available WITHOUT matchmaking sucks. Especially when most of my group of friends are all dads with jobs living in different parts of the country/world through 3 time zones... ugh.

I HOPE that there is a MUCH better communication tool in the Tower when the full game launches. I don't want to be asking for raid partners with a series of dancing, pointing, and waving amidst the 'masses' in the Tower to get a group to go take on a tough boss...

Flagz - Could your sadness with BL2 also be because its on the 360 only? I can't play my 360 anymore... it just...isn't good enough for me :(. I'm notorious for wanting to just play the best and the latest. I haven't played a game on my 360 since Episode 2 of The Wolf Among Us...

Played BL2 a year ago on the 360, but the last few days I tried it but recently I was playing on Maxed setting via PC with an Xbox One controller, so I'm sure it's nothing to do with JUST the 360. ;) Though if recently I was playing on the 360, that probably be the reason, the 360 controller just feels off for some reason anymore.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I know how you mean. The sticks feel so much more tense, and it's somewhat bothersome. I also tried Forza 3 with my brother-in-law on his 360, and the lack of rumble triggers sucks balls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99