08-30-2017 01:33 PM
505 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    So much crap in this. I can't even bother with the first, because you're assessing two different use cases to defend battery life. You have to have a controlled environment for comparison. If your PS4 friends play 6-8 hours straight, while your Xbox friends are mostly on Netflix, it's not a 1:1 comparison. You'd need similar habits, and if you used that, you wouldn't get 4-5 weeks of battery life on a One controller.

As for saying that an opinion is rooted in bias, that's dumb. An opinion can be completely fact-based, even if it's an anecdotal sample. For example, I have a hard time recommending Seagate HDDs over Western Digital because, in my personal experiences, WD drives have held up better. Is that a Western Digital bias? No, it's an observation. In my opinion, based on real-world experiences, Western Digital drives are better because they last longer. That's not a bias, that's an analysis.

In my opinion, the PS4 has better gaming hardware, regardless of my BIAS towards the Xbox, due to game preferences (and other things). Actually, I guess that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Ignore that.
    I already said that a scientific experiment comparing battery life would be needed to accurately compare the two. That is the ideal way to do it and, based on all previous scientific studies that have compared battery life among rechargeable battery packs and standalone batteries, we already know that rechargeable battery packs are less efficient.

Regardless, you're creating counterfactuals to try to undermine a plethora of qualitative evidence that shows there is a hugely significant gap in battery life between the Xbox One controllers and the PS4 controllers. If my PS4 friends play 6-8 hours straight their batteries will die. If my Xbox One friends play 6-8 hours straight theirs won't (not even close).

Ironically, after chiding me for using an anecdotal sample to prove a point, you then use an anecdotal sample to try to prove a point. Your 'personal experience' that Western Digital drives hold up better than Seagate drives is not fact-based. To know that, you'd have to have a controlled experiment. Your personal experiences--experiences that were not scientifically controlled experiments--biased your opinion of the two drives. Opinions are always rooted in bias. Facts are facts. Opinions are not.

Having said that, there is validity in qualitative data, especially widespread data. If tens of thousands of people on the Internet also indicate that WD is better than Seagate, there is very likely to be truth to that. In that vein, it's very clear from similar qualitative evidence that the Xbox One controller battery life destroys the PS4's. Most people online indicate the Xbox One controller batteries last weeks. Most PS4 reports peg the Dual Shock 4's battery life as hours to days. It's highly likely that scientific experiments would confirm this discrepancy. Therefore, to get back to the point, the original article was biased because it only mentioned the merits of the PS4 controller (i.e. rechargeable batteries) without mentioning the demerits (comparably worse battery life).
    09-04-2014 10:08 AM
    Latest sales reports are in the range of 10 million PS4 and 5 million Xbox One
    09-05-2014 04:04 PM
    PS4 is a Chinese knockoff horse... Runs fast and will no be able to finish the race... X360 is a good example
    09-05-2014 04:13 PM
    PS4 is a Chinese knockoff horse... Runs fast and will no be able to finish the race... X360 is a good example
    10 vs 5 million says otherwise
    09-05-2014 04:14 PM
    Considering that the "5 million Xbox One" is from like 5 months ago and the 10 million PS4 count is from last month, that's not exactly a good report that you're using.
    09-05-2014 04:15 PM
    PS4 is selling a lot more consoles than Xbox due to Microsoft marketing problem and initial ideas of including a kinect and not letting people share games. Talk about shooting your both legs.

P.S. I am a happy owner of a Gaming PC and an PS4. If I get more money Ill buy an Xbox just because.

Peace
    09-05-2014 04:22 PM
    Considering that the "5 million Xbox One" is from like 5 months ago and the 10 million PS4 count is from last month, that's not exactly a good report that you're using.
    Not exactly a bad report either
    09-05-2014 04:46 PM
    Not exactly a bad report either
    When its outdated, yes it's bad. We don't know hoe many Xbox Ones have been sold. They could've only sold a half million since April or they could've sold another 3 million.
    09-05-2014 05:04 PM
    The 5 million from 5 months ago was shipped, not sold. It's probably around 5 million sold by now, and 7 million shipped or something. Sony's numbers are actual sales.
    09-05-2014 05:06 PM
    LOL, WtF does that even mean? The thing is sold by a Japanese company and has an APU made by a company whose HQ is in California. I think it's assembled in China, but some Xbox Ones are as well, so I don't get your point.
    09-05-2014 05:07 PM
    The 5 million from 5 months ago was shipped, not sold. It's probably around 5 million sold by now, and 7 million shipped or something. Sony's numbers are actual sales.
    And I'm saying that we don't know what it is. All we have now are rough estimates, but declaring that it's 10 million vs. 5 million just seems silly IMHO. It very well may be, but it just seems dumb to declare it when no one except Microsoft knows how many have actually been sold.
    09-05-2014 05:18 PM
    And I'm saying that we don't know what it is. All we have now are rough estimates, but declaring that it's 10 million vs. 5 million just seems silly IMHO. It very well may be, but it just seems dumb to declare it when no one except Microsoft knows how many have actually been sold.
    I honestly don't know how this site tracks this stuff or if it's reliable, but they have numbers to support it: Platform Totals - VGChartz
    09-05-2014 06:24 PM
    Yes, OK you've got a point. In that case, it's 5 million Xbox shipped vs 10 million PS4 sold. Which is actually even worse than what I originally stated.
    09-06-2014 02:08 AM
    Cos it's very likely they havnt shipped a single console more in like 6 months now? That 5 million is a very old number by now.

I think they will be waiting at least until late this month/early next before next numbers, cos after that they'll fit in numbers from China, Russia and like 15 other markets :P
    09-06-2014 07:31 AM
    I honestly don't know how this site tracks this stuff or if it's reliable, but they have numbers to support it: Platform Totals - VGChartz
    VGChartz is notoriously unreliable. They basically just guess and then retroactively fix their numbers when official numbers get released.
    09-06-2014 05:15 PM
    VGChartz is notoriously unreliable. They basically just guess and then retroactively fix their numbers when official numbers get released.
    Anything to back that claim up?
    09-06-2014 08:30 PM
    Got my Xbox One coming on Tuesday with the Destiny bundle and I can wait. Ps4 sold on ebay a few days ago so im glad I got rid of that poorly made loud console. I have no doubt that in a few years quite alot of the ps4 will fail due to overheating and fan issues.
    Crasstoe likes this.
    09-07-2014 03:42 PM
    if you get both, then while you're bringing your ps4 in for those you'll be able to also repair the disc drive and kinect issues on the Xbox. Multitask! 👍
    09-07-2014 04:22 PM
    Got my Xbox One coming on Tuesday with the Destiny bundle and I can wait. Ps4 sold on ebay a few days ago so im glad I got rid of that poorly made loud console. I have no doubt that in a few years quite alot of the ps4 will fail due to overheating and fan issues.
    I just pcked one up at the Microsoft Store. Microsoft is running a crazy deal at their stores. You get a free disk based game and a $50 gift card with the purchase of an Xbox One bundle. I got the Forza bundle, used the gift card to pre-order Destiny and grabbed a game for my kids.

Just go to the Microsoft Store website and the deal is shown there (I can't post a link until I have more posts under my belt, sorry)
    09-08-2014 04:08 PM
    09-08-2014 05:49 PM
    Moved to Console Wars forum, since this thread is about Xbox One vs PS4.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    09-08-2014 06:04 PM

That's what I hate about my ps4. I only use my ps4 for exclusives they have.
    09-08-2014 06:07 PM
    if you get both, then while you're bringing your ps4 in for those you'll be able to also repair the disc drive and kinect issues on the Xbox. Multitask! ��
    Still not experienced this, nor have the 10 other people I know personally who purchased an XB1. To my knowledge, it is people running with the console on its side, and once it experiences an issue they try with it flat to find it is broken. (Even though it is on a label on the damned console saying to only run with it flat and not on its side)

Also, what Kinect issues? I know a few people have been confused by some games disabling Kinect (as per MS update) but you just reenable it by pressing the Xbox button and going to the home page. Its the trade off for having a game use the memory originally allocated for voice commands etc...
    09-10-2014 05:27 AM
    Anything to back that claim up?
    Just some google-fu; Why VGChartz isn't considered reliable - National Video Games | Examiner.com
    09-10-2014 05:31 AM
    Still not experienced this, nor have the 10 other people I know personally who purchased an XB1. To my knowledge, it is people running with the console on its side, and once it experiences an issue they try with it flat to find it is broken. (Even though it is on a label on the damned console saying to only run with it flat and not on its side)

Also, what Kinect issues? I know a few people have been confused by some games disabling Kinect (as per MS update) but you just reenable it by pressing the Xbox button and going to the home page. Its the trade off for having a game use the memory originally allocated for voice commands etc...
    They're both known issues you can easily Google. Not affecting all devices. So pretty much the same deal with ps4 known issues.
    09-10-2014 02:37 PM
505 ... 89101112 ...