08-30-2017 01:33 PM
505 12345 ...
tools
    I was HIGHLY disappointed when they did the whole switch back to the "Old" way. I was excited for the vision is the future.
    Exactly, it was quite similar to steam so I don't understand what the issues were!

Its like the whole ps streaming service. Onlive tried it and failed. Now everyone thinks Sony is innovative and amazing. Hate the Sony hype wagon, almost as much as the apple hype wagon lol
    07-20-2014 08:15 AM
    Changing disks sucks, it's such an archaic means of content management. At least you can share XBL Gold memberships - halved our annual costs.

Rumour has it that the original DRM policy will become opt in somewhere down the line, I for one can't wait. You mean I can share my games with up to 10 people in my friends list who have been there for longer than 30 days, provided I sign in once a month... um... no brainer!
    coip likes this.
    07-20-2014 08:37 AM
    If you worry about xbox one not doing well enough or having the best games.......you obviously worry bout who's got the best car, clothes, girlfriend .....ect,ect.
    I personally couldn't give a rats bum who has this or that....xbox one has the best games and controller 🎮 for me! I think more people will start converting when they realise that their high power, super graphically machine is boring!
    07-20-2014 08:47 AM
    As long as the xbox utilises its power in the best way It will be fine.
    minus365 likes this.
    07-20-2014 11:40 AM
    Exactly, it was quite similar to steam so I don't understand what the issues were!

Its like the whole ps streaming service. Onlive tried it and failed. Now everyone thinks Sony is innovative and amazing. Hate the Sony hype wagon, almost as much as the apple hype wagon lol
    What's wrong with sony, they advertise well and give the people what they want, that's why their sales are are higher than xbox in the US.
    D M C likes this.
    07-20-2014 11:50 AM
    What's wrong with sony, they advertise well and give the people what they want, that's why their sales are are higher than xbox in the US.
    It's really not that simple though. The reason Sony does so well is largely cos of the Xbox-announcement. I have a pretty good feeling that if Sony had announced theirs first and MS. They got the "good guy" stamp this time around before they had done a damn thing themselves :P
    07-21-2014 01:42 AM
    No, Sony hype up things up its not advertising well, its stupid people who believe the hype and hype it up more.

As the previous poster said, if Sony went first at E3 2013, it would be very different as Sony had pretty much the same plans as MSFT. They changed their conference at the last min as they saw the backlash MSFT got.
    07-21-2014 03:02 AM
    do not forget this is a marathon run and not 100m sprint.
    let congratulate Sony to enjoy their leadership for a while and get prepare for the future. I am sure Xbox One will be catching up fairly soon. There is strong line up starting this autumn + 2015 will be huge with Halo5 and other games as anounced at E3.

DX12 games that utilize cloud offloading, eSRAM tiled resourced, CPU offloading, that is real 'next-gen' that blows Sony off the surface. They can just dream of such technology MS has in place today!!! Haha, who cares about few more Mhz on mid class GPUs and barely visible difference to Xbox games?

Something big will be happening in next months. DX12 + cloud = next gen = Xbox One.

Game ON!
    07-21-2014 08:43 AM
    Why do sales number matter at this point? Both are selling WELL above what they were in the previous generation, and thats with almost no new games available at the moment. Its going to be fine. Wii "won" the last round and that did nothing to stop great Xbox 360 and PS3 games being made, and it will be the same with this generation.
    07-21-2014 11:10 AM
    It amazes me how much their messages has 'switched' from when the 360/PS3 was released.

When the PS3 was announced - Sony was hit HARD for some of the remarks that they made regarding it. Especially since it was $599.99! One of the Sony leads even said at E3 - By pricing the PS3 at a premium level of 599.99 people will want to work harder - to earn the money to buy the PS3! Sony got raked over the coals for that in 2004/05.

Now, its Microsoft's 'turn' to be raked. But, I don't care.

I have a XBOX One and am incredibly impressed with it. I enjoy the games on it and the interface that seamlessly integrates (well, kind of at times ;)) games, tv, music, and movies. I enjoy the games I have and I'll focus on that.

I had a PS3 and used it mainly as a Netflix/Bluray machine with the occasional Naughty Dog game thrown in.

As I heard on the DLC podcast (great podcast by the way!) - The 1080p arguments are so blown out of proportion. If you need to rely on Digital Foundry to make a side-by-side comparison for you in order for you to even notice the graphical differences between the systems then its a failed argument.

I just finished reading Console Wars (great book about the rivalry between SEGA and Nintendo in the 90s) and it helped me remember 'real' exclusives. Where the SNES and Genesis would each have a licensed game from a movie (like Aladdin or Lion King) but each games was LITERALLY DIFFERENT on both consoles. That was an exclusive games war... not what we have now when people are arguing about 1080p or 960p or whatever...
    07-21-2014 11:14 AM
    Why do sales number matter at this point? Both are selling WELL above what they were in the previous generation, and thats with almost no new games available at the moment. Its going to be fine. Wii "won" the last round and that did nothing to stop great Xbox 360 and PS3 games being made, and it will be the same with this generation.
    Sales numbers greatly matter. Just ask the Wii U. Third-party publishers ignore it. If there is any indication that one platform will dominate another, most developers--especially those with limited resources--will begin making games for the lead platform, either exclusively or first, resulting in long delays of sloppy seconds ports. It's a huge deal. Just ask anyone who owns a Windows Phone.

The Wii is an interesting but abnormal case of a console that technically 'won' the last generation by pure sales alone, but by the end of the generation was completely irrelevant because game attachment rate was abysmal. Basically, everyone's parents bought a Wii because it was cheap and unique, played the free Wii Sports, and then it collected dust for the past 4 years. Xbox 360 and PS3 were the true winners of the last generation because they had enormous installation bases and high game attachment rates. This generation, though, is on pace to be like the 6th generation where PS2 dominated Xbox and GameCube. Not only is that not good for Xbox, as that's hard to recover from, but I think it's bad for gaming because I don't like where Sony is taking the industry (answer: nowhere; just boring spec upgrades). I much prefer what Microsoft is doing (Kinect, illumiroom, etc.), and, as we have already seen with the Kinect unbundling, Sony's success can muck up technological progress by other companies forced into isomorphism due to short-sighted consumers. That's why I'm frustrated.
    minus365 likes this.
    07-21-2014 11:18 AM
    Sales numbers greatly matter. Just ask the Wii U. Third-party publishers ignore it. If there is any indication that one platform will dominate another, most developers--especially those with limited resources--will begin making games for the lead platform, either exclusively or first, resulting in long delays of sloppy seconds ports. It's a huge deal. Just ask anyone who owns a Windows Phone.

The Wii is an interesting but abnormal case of a console that technically 'won' the last generation by pure sales alone, but by the end of the generation was completely irrelevant because game attachment rate was abysmal. Basically, everyone's parents bought a Wii because it was cheap and unique, played the free Wii Sports, and then it collected dust for the past 4 years. Xbox 360 and PS3 were the true winners of the last generation because they had enormous installation bases and high game attachment rates. This generation, though, is on pace to be like the 6th generation where PS2 dominated Xbox and GameCube. Not only is that not good for Xbox, as that's hard to recover from, but I think it's bad for gaming because I don't like where Sony is taking the industry (answer: nowhere; just boring spec upgrades). I much prefer what Microsoft is doing (Kinect, illumiroom, etc.), and, as we have already seen with the Kinect unbundling, Sony's success can muck up technological progress by other companies forced into isomorphism due to short-sighted consumers. That's why I'm frustrated.
    I get the sense the Wii U is being ignored for reasons more so than sales.

And I honestly don't think gamers are losing any sleep over the Kinect or any other peripheral MS has planned not working out. I don't claim to know how all gamers feel. But most of the gaming communities I frequent just don't care and want the gaming device they think gives them the best bang for their buck. For many, they felt it was the PS4 (with their perceived superiority in specs, consumer friendly features and price). I can't say I'm impressed with what either machine has to offer. But I also don't see how Sony is doing a disservice to gaming if its providing a gaming machine that seems to accomplish what it needs to and has a price people are comfortable with. Ultimately, if someone really wants a Xbone, they will get one. Im sure some are waiting for the games they want to play and the console will be fine. Again, no point in stressing over something you have no control over.
    07-21-2014 11:29 AM
    My friend, x1 being better then PS4 is subjective. x1 one has the better games is a matter of personal opinion. I personally don't like a single game on either PS4 or x1, but I can tell you that down the line I'm getting a PS4. Not because of what consumers are doing, or the better apps and features, or the better specs, it all boils down to the games I like to play. I've owned a PS1-PS3 and had whatever other system came out on the side. I stuck with my PlayStation's while I got rid of the other systems. Sony has always satisfied me with a variety of great single player games. I can play Ratchet & Clank (3D Platform), God of War (hack & Slash), Uncharted (3rd person shooter), Killzone (FPS), Little Big Planet (2D Side Scroller), & Gran Turismo (Racing) and say each one is a different and thrilling experience. I don't play many 3rd player games so where does that leave my relationship with x1? Halo, Gears? Played them and didn't care for them. So don't be upset in the end everyone's making money and no one actually cares about the consumer. We get to play games and thats that.

PS - Windows Phone being better then any other platform is also subjective. I came from android and have a L1020 and my wife has a Moto X. Besides a nice camera and smooth OS, WP is vastly inferior to my wife's Moto X running KitKat. Even the Microsoft apps are better on Android. I don't lose sleep over it.
    07-21-2014 11:45 AM
    I get the sense the Wii U is being ignored for reasons more so than sales.

And I honestly don't think gamers are losing any sleep over the Kinect or any other peripheral MS has planned not working out. I don't claim to know how all gamers feel. But most of the gaming communities I frequent just don't care and want the gaming device they think gives them the best bang for their buck. For many, they felt it was the PS4 (with their perceived superiority in specs, consumer friendly features and price). I can't say I'm impressed with what either machine has to offer. But I also don't see how Sony is doing a disservice to gaming if its providing a gaming machine that seems to accomplish what it needs to and has a price people are comfortable with. Ultimately, if someone really wants a Xbone, they will get one. Im sure some are waiting for the games they want to play and the console will be fine. Again, no point in stressing over something you have no control over.
    I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, but it's good to notice that "gaming communities you visit" also represents a small portion of gamers. Vast majority of people who own consoles do not belong to any gaming communities or frequent gaming websites/forums. This is why game developers are hesistant on balancing games around forum feedback alone - it reflects a very small portion of the playerbase.
    07-21-2014 02:22 PM
    Sony has always satisfied me with a variety of great single player games. I can play Ratchet & Clank (3D Platform), God of War (hack & Slash), Uncharted (3rd person shooter), Killzone (FPS), Little Big Planet (2D Side Scroller), & Gran Turismo (Racing) and say each one is a different and thrilling experience. I don't play many 3rd player games so where does that leave my relationship with x1? Halo, Gears? Played them and didn't care for them.
    Sorry, but did you just say that you played Halo and Gears of War and weren't impressed but you were impressed with Killzone? I've lost all faith in the gaming community.

Conker > Ratchet and Clank
    Gears of War > Uncharted
    Dead Rising 3 > God of War
    Halo > Killzone
    Project Spark > Little Big Planet
    Forza > Gran Turismo
    Killer Instinct > (no entry)
    Kinect Sports Rivals > (no entry)

Besides a nice camera and smooth OS, WP is vastly inferior to my wife's Moto X running KitKat
    Did you just admit that the WP OS is better than Android's and then say that except for the fact that it's better, it's worse? Huh? WP runs like butter. Android runs like mud.
    07-21-2014 02:25 PM
    Sorry, but did you just say that you played Halo and Gears of War and weren't impressed but you were impressed with Killzone? I've lost all faith in the gaming community.

Gears of War > Uncharted
    Halo > Killzone
    Forza > Gran Turismo

Did you just admit that the WP OS is better than Android's and then say that except for the fact that it's better, it's worse? Huh? WP runs like butter. Android runs like mud.
    I tthink what the poster is saying is that they prefer PS exclusives over Xbox.
    07-21-2014 02:46 PM
    I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, but it's good to notice that "gaming communities you visit" also represents a small portion of gamers. Vast majority of people who own consoles do not belong to any gaming communities or frequent gaming websites/forums. This is why game developers are hesistant on balancing games around forum feedback alone - it reflects a very small portion of the playerbase.

Fair points.
    07-21-2014 03:05 PM
    I also prefer Sonic the Hedgehog over Mario *gasp*! Thats why we have options. And for the sake of argument, yeah I love God of War because I dig Greek inspired mythology over mindless zombie killing and I prefer killzone because of the Nazi-esque vibe. But that doesn't mean I don't respect the next persons decision and question his love of game. I don't lose sleep over it.
    Last edited by a5cent; 07-21-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: cleaning
    engineermoore likes this.
    07-21-2014 03:37 PM
    i for one...

HATE gears of war.

what a terrible game lol.
    07-21-2014 04:23 PM

Gears of War > Uncharted
    Halo > Killzone
    Forza > Gran Turismo

It's all subjective. I'm a die hard Microsoft Fanboy and a True Day One Original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One user and I disagree on some.

Gears of War < Uncharted
    Dead Rising 3 < God of War
    Halo > Killzone
    Forza > Gran Turismo

Gears Sucks, and while DR3 is a great game, the progression is too fast and gets boring quick. No reason I shoulda got the Mega Man suit in less that 3 days.

Also I recently switched to an Android due to Tmobile slow pace for Flagship phones and I can 100% say that besides TWO hiccups so far, It's been an amazing ride. I have to intent on switch back until Microsoft matches ALL of the G3's specs and apps start hopping, I don't understand how I lived without some of these!

Point is taste is subjective and while I'm a HUGE fanboy with 3 Windows Phones right beside me and my Xbox One On and ready to play Titanfall (XBO FTW!) I'm no stranger to other ecosystems. Each System/Product has a strong point and a negative, and it just so happens that the Xbox One has a lot more positives than Sony in this round.
    07-21-2014 07:00 PM

Gears of War > Uncharted
    Halo > Killzone
    Forza > Gran Turismo
    1. Kinect Sports Rivals's best trick is showing how inconsistent and frustrating the Kinect can be. Sony really doesn't need to have an entry into the competition for "inaccurate, clunky motion-based sports gimmick."
    2. Conker last had a release in 2005, so there is nothing to even talk up there. Ratchet & Clank wins by default if Kinect Sports Rivals does, no question, because Ratchet & Clank games at least aren't bad.

The rest are all preferential, but I'd agree with just 3 of those. I care nothing for fighting games, and I think Dead Rising blows. Gears and Uncharted really don't even sit in the same realm, not sure why you compared them.
    07-21-2014 08:46 PM
    1. Kinect Sports Rivals's best trick is showing how inconsistent and frustrating the Kinect can be. Sony really doesn't need to have an entry into the competition for "inaccurate, clunky motion-based sports gimmick."
    2. Conker last had a release in 2005, so there is nothing to even talk up there. Ratchet & Clank wins by default if Kinect Sports Rivals does, no question, because Ratchet & Clank games at least aren't bad.
    The rest are all preferential, but I'd agree with just 3 of those. I care nothing for fighting games, and I think Dead Rising blows. Gears and Uncharted really don't even sit in the same realm, not sure why you compared them.
    1. Sony doesn't have an entry here because their version of the PlayStation camera is even worse. They smartly threw in the towel back in early 2013 when they decided to unbundle it knowing that it couldn't match up with the Kinect. Don't get me wrong, the Kinect 2 still has loads of problems and is nowhere near as accurate as I'd like it to be, but that kind of precision won't come till Kinect 3 or 4 and my real problem with Sony is that we'll likely never get to that point if they're leading the market. All we'll be doing is playing the same decades-old count-and-controller setup we've been doing since the late 70s. (Don't even get me started on them ripping off VR from Oculus Rift--VR is going to flop hard and Sony will abandon it in a few years like they always do). That said, Kinect Sports Rivals is a decent game. Calling it "inaccurate, clunky motion-based sports gimmick" is a disservice to the hard work Rare put into it. Some things are clunky (shooting, soccer), some things are solid (bowling and tennis), and some things are great (wake racing and rock climbing). My hope is that Harmonix will show everyone what Kinect can do this fall with Dance Central Spotlight and Fantasia: Music Evolved, and then indie games like Fru will put on the finishing touches. Kinect has had a wonderful impact in many non-gaming realms (instant translation of sign language, assisting the deaf and hard of hearing as well as the blind, in medicine and surgery, in fitness and health, in the business realm, etc.).
    2. Conker is coming to Project Spark this year. Team Dakota will have a showcase level.
    3. It doesn't really matter if you like fighting games or not: Killer Instinct is a great fighting game nevertheless. Dead Rising is also pretty fun.
    4. My comparisons were loosely based on the genres the original poster used.
    07-21-2014 10:08 PM
    1. Sony doesn't have an entry here because their version of the PlayStation camera is even worse. They smartly threw in the towel back in early 2013 when they decided to unbundle it knowing that it couldn't match up with the Kinect. Don't get me wrong, the Kinect 2 still has loads of problems and is nowhere near as accurate as I'd like it to be, but that kind of precision won't come till Kinect 3 or 4 and my real problem with Sony is that we'll likely never get to that point if they're leading the market. All we'll be doing is playing the same decades-old count-and-controller setup we've been doing since the late 70s. (Don't even get me started on them ripping off VR from Oculus Rift--VR is going to flop hard and Sony will abandon it in a few years like they always do). That said, Kinect Sports Rivals is a decent game. Calling it "inaccurate, clunky motion-based sports gimmick" is a disservice to the hard work Rare put into it. Some things are clunky (shooting, soccer), some things are solid (bowling and tennis), and some things are great (wake racing and rock climbing). My hope is that Harmonix will show everyone what Kinect can do this fall with Dance Central Spotlight and Fantasia: Music Evolved, and then indie games like Fru will put on the finishing touches. Kinect has had a wonderful impact in many non-gaming realms (instant translation of sign language, assisting the deaf and hard of hearing as well as the blind, in medicine and surgery, in fitness and health, in the business realm, etc.).
    2. Conker is coming to Project Spark this year. Team Dakota will have a showcase level.
    3. It doesn't really matter if you like fighting games or not: Killer Instinct is a great fighting game nevertheless. Dead Rising is also pretty fun.
    4. My comparisons were loosely based on the genres the original poster used.
    Why is Sony to blame if the Kinect doesn't take off? At the end of the day, the market has to be there for it and MS and developers have to be serious in investing in it. Regardless of what Sony does (and its well within their right to have taken advantage of the situation), the blame has to be put on MS for their initial muddled message and (for lack of a better way to put it) consumers for not caring.
    D M C likes this.
    07-21-2014 10:16 PM
    I think a point a lot of people forget is the PS4 is designed from the ground up to be a simple games console, nothing more. Whereas the XB1 is designed from the ground up to be a media hub, with a games console built in (and a good one too!).

I use my XB1 more for on demand apps, Twitch, controlling my Amp when I play music around the home, changing TV channels & volume, surfing the web, showing off Flickr photos on my TV, YouTube, etc all without even touching a controller, I only need to do that to play a game.

Smartglass is great for sending messages, purchasing apps or games whilst away from home (XB1 auto downloads for me) and browsing the web, then sending the site to the XB1 when I get home and continuing on the big screen.

I find as I'm getting older (25 atm) I care less and less about the games and more about the system as a whole, and I expect more from my hardware than just games. Don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to the games coming this year but lets be honest, unless you are sat 2 inches from your TV are you going to notice the difference between PS4 and XB1 graphics? I'd rather take the near impossible to see graphical hit in exchange for all the additional functionality the XB1 offers.
    07-22-2014 05:25 AM
    I might be 100% wrong, but I think Xbox was designed as a Gaming Console first, then they started stacking on the Media integrations. I believe they were developing this then realized that they needed a way to stand out, so what else to do than add a slim version of Windows 8 to run apps on top of the Gaming OS. All it does is overlays another "Window" over whatever you're doing, similar to Windows 8 Multi tasking. That's how the Xbox One uses multiple apps properly. So to have an opinion, I think (it sounded like) they had the Gaming OS down and was stable with that, and introduced Windows 8 to overlay over the Gaming OS later in the development cycle. Seems legit, which is why they Console still prioritizes games.
    07-22-2014 06:34 AM
505 12345 ...