Xbox One vs. PS4

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Why is Sony to blame if the Kinect doesn't take off? At the end of the day, the market has to be there for it and MS and developers have to be serious in investing in it. Regardless of what Sony does (and its well within their right to have taken advantage of the situation), the blame has to be put on MS for their initial muddled message and (for lack of a better way to put it) consumers for not caring.

Because they took the easy road: they had plans to bundle their camera too, realized it sucked in comparison to Kinect, and opted for the cheaper price point just to get sales. Not surprisingly, those higher sales came because consumers are, generally speaking, cheap Luddites. They don't like change (hence, we're still gaming with the couch-and-controller setup of 1979 and DVDs are still more popular than Blu-Ray or digital), and they want things cheap. Yes, this is "the market speaking". But the market is bad for technological progress. It is only when companies force innovations on consumers that progress is usually made. Microsoft was doing that by bundling in the Kinect. Sony got in the way with their cheap strategy, forcing Microsoft to bail on the promise of the Kinect too. That's why Sony is to blame.

That's not to say that all blame is on Sony: a good chunk of it is on Microsoft for having a terribly crafted message pre-launch, exacerbated by some (now former, and rightfully so) moronic executives who acted like arrogant nitwits on Twitter instead of explaining their strategy properly, and by not having enough quality Kinect games at launch (Xbox Fitness is pretty good, but it's pretty niche). Kinect Sports Rivals should've been 1. better, 2. bundled in for free at launch with all Day One editions.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I honestly hate these threads, but, for some dam reason, I find myself addicted to conflict and this is a major subject on this.

Xbox one is lower on sales because how it was announced and released.
1. The announcement focused on TV more than games
2. The system was $100 more than the PS4
3. The Kinect was forced on everyone, people who wanted it or not.
4. Then the Non-Sharing of USED games and this was a epic failure in a PR standpoint.

There is a lot of truth to all that, especially when taken into context of the concept of early adoption. Early adopters of new, expensive gaming consoles are almost always so-called 'hardcore gamers', and Microsoft needed a better message crafted towards that. That said, the real meat-and-potatoes of console sales come from mainstream consumers, who will likely be more drawn to Xbox One over PS4 when they consider purchasing a system in a few years, once the prices drop on both (assuming Microsoft can finally get it right and target them). So, I would think the basic design of the X1 would have set it up nicely for future success, but the problem is that current success will affect future potential (via content availability and public perception--most people don't know anything about the Xbox One or PS4, let alone the uproar around their system revealings last year but they do hear word-of-mouth overly simplified "PS4 is better" buzz and blindly echo it).

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion,Kinect was the only unique selling point of the XB1.Instead of making it optional,they should have made it $400.MS first said that XB1 is Kinect and then immediately made it optional.Not only does it kill the every Xbox has Kinect thing but it just makes the XB1 a weaker and soulless alternative to the PS4 in terms of hardware.In terms of software its completely subjective.

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Who cares which console is doing better from a technical or sales standpoint, if you enjoy gaming on it, that's all that matters.

Leave the sales to Microsoft to worry about...

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Who cares which console is doing better from a technical or sales standpoint, if you enjoy gaming on it, that's all that matters.

Leave the sales to Microsoft to worry about...

If you bothered to read the thread you would have had your question answered before you even asked it: sales matter, particularly early sales, because it influences the type and amount of content that gets developed for the platform. You know how iOS and Android get more apps, get them sooner, and have them updated more regularly whereas Windows Phone, if it's lucky, gets sloppy thirds? That's solely because of market share. The same thing could happen to Xbox One if sales don't pick up, and that would be depressing because it's a more ambitious and feature-rich system than its competition.

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Just because PS4 is selling more, doesn't mean that Xbox sales are bad. Over 5 million sold is no small number. The real attraction to the PS4 is the PlayNow streaming that looks like it's pretty much all but abandoned.

Also, multiplayer on PS3, PSN, and the PS3 Dash and the shoddy DualShock 3 are all reasons that the PS4 is pretty much a requirement for PS3 owners to upgrade. As for the 360, the controllers are pretty robust, XBL is reliable, and being pretty good on the dash is from means that there isn't such a desperation to move straight on to the nextgen.

Xbox One is more of an upgrade where PS4 is more a replacement.

By no means is the Xbox dead in the water, like I say, 5 million sold is a lot of consoles. Many developers will still see that as 5million potential customers rather than zero potential customers. The only thing that will sway devs is payoff's, not who's winning.

ToneSim

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
"Microsoft learned their lesion, At E3 they showed they care about games and I don't think I heard one word about TV features. They showed new titles and exclusive titles."

That's funny I seem to remember them doing that at E3 LAST YEAR. Go ahead, go back and watch their E3 conference, it's almost the exact same format as this year's. 90 minutes of games.

Seriously, the revisionist history of the internet is sometimes staggering. MS reps clearly stated in interviews before the reveal last year that they were showing all the base features of the console at their reveal while saving the games for E3, which was only just over two weeks later.

They said it. As plain as day. They were never focusing on non-gaming features over games, they simply picked their arena to show off each aspect of the console. Why so many people didn't get that I just don't understand. I only wish I had the foresight to bookmark those interviews so that they wouldn't be lost under all the BS, hate, and outright lying that buried what little coherent message they had under a ton of clickbaiting misinformation.

And gamers are the problem. They couldn't wait two weeks, they had to have EVERYTHING NAAAAOOOOO!!!!! And then all the misinformation on top. Ask gamers and most will tell you MS' E3 show was horrible, TV, TV, TV, SPORTS, SPORTS, SPORTS they'll say. it's like they didn't even watch, birthing what has to be the most successful forced meme in the history of the internet.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
"Microsoft learned their lesion, At E3 they showed they care about games and I don't think I heard one word about TV features. They showed new titles and exclusive titles."

That's funny I seem to remember them doing that at E3 LAST YEAR. Go ahead, go back and watch their E3 conference, it's almost the exact same format as this year's. 90 minutes of games.

Seriously, the revisionist history of the internet is sometimes staggering. MS reps clearly stated in interviews before the reveal last year that they were showing all the base features of the console at their reveal while saving the games for E3, which was only just over two weeks later.

They said it. As plain as day. They were never focusing on non-gaming features over games, they simply picked their arena to show off each aspect of the console. Why so many people didn't get that I just don't understand. I only wish I had the foresight to bookmark those interviews so that they wouldn't be lost under all the BS, hate, and outright lying that buried what little coherent message they had under a ton of clickbaiting misinformation.

And gamers are the problem. They couldn't wait two weeks, they had to have EVERYTHING NAAAAOOOOO!!!!! And then all the misinformation on top. Ask gamers and most will tell you MS' E3 show was horrible, TV, TV, TV, SPORTS, SPORTS, SPORTS they'll say. it's like they didn't even watch, birthing what has to be the most successful forced meme in the history of the internet.

Relax man, relax! :p

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Some ways? Please elaborate.

Microsoft's E3 2013 was pretty bad. Many mistakes, bad price (many boos), weird games (Peggle 2, LOL), bugs on stage, DRM and internet check-in policy, and going first that year in E3, the YEAR that these consoles came out! Sony saw what Microsoft did and how the crowd hated a lot of it, and they fixed it and talked about it in their conference, causing a HUGE applause on the three issues (used games, always on, and price). Here is a video making fun of E3 embarrassing moments, which was made obviously my a PS ****** (shows one issue with PS4, was ACBF), but is still very true, and how many felt after both of these conferences. http://youtu.be/ui8yTFRflyI

With Don Mattrick and that other guy who talking about always-on on Twitter before the X1 unveiling GONE, the Xbox team has improved a lot. Microsoft won E3 this year, and DEFINITELY won Gamescon today.

ToneSim

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
They made mistakes in policy and messaging, sure. But, weird games? Is that not subjective? I bought Peggle 2, am I a weirdo? Why cherry pick Peggle? Was Forza weird? Halo? Killer Instinct? Quantum Break? Ryse?

And what bugs? The only misstep I remember what the sound problem they had and that had nothing to do with the console or games.

Also, let's be real about the price. Most people expected to come into this generation paying $500 for significantly better hardware than last generation. They did. Some even thought we'd be paying 70 US for games as well. It was in the predictions of all the major publications both print and online. It was the most realistic outlook considering where we are in the growth of gaming. Hell, Sony charged 600 for last gen's machine at the outset for a far inferior machine to what they offer in the ps4. It was hardly unreasonable to expect an increase of 100 US coming from the successor to the 360.

Sony simply saw an opportunity to capitalize on MS' flubs and negative public opinion and took it. And it worked. So much so that not even the pure truth, when positive for Xbox, could pierce the thick wall of FUD surrounding it.

People like to lump in the rhetoric with the presentation but the fact is that their conference was all games, little Kinect and zero TV. They had a great E3. Their policies were not part of the presentation but were apparently the only thing their show was actually judged on. That, and a ridiculously false forced meme.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
They made mistakes in policy and messaging, sure. But, weird games? Is that not subjective? I bought Peggle 2, am I a weirdo? Why cherry pick Peggle? Was Forza weird? Halo? Killer Instinct? Quantum Break? Ryse?

And what bugs? The only misstep I remember what the sound problem they had and that had nothing to do with the console or games.

Also, let's be real about the price. Most people expected to come into this generation paying $500 for significantly better hardware than last generation. They did. Some even thought we'd be paying 70 US for games as well. It was in the predictions of all the major publications both print and online. It was the most realistic outlook considering where we are in the growth of gaming. Hell, Sony charged 600 for last gen's machine at the outset for a far inferior machine to what they offer in the ps4. It was hardly unreasonable to expect an increase of 100 US coming from the successor to the 360.

Sony simply saw an opportunity to capitalize on MS' flubs and negative public opinion and took it. And it worked. So much so that not even the pure truth, when positive for Xbox, could pierce the thick wall of FUD surrounding it.

People like to lump in the rhetoric with the presentation but the fact is that their conference was all games, little Kinect and zero TV. They had a great E3. Their policies were not part of the presentation but were apparently the only thing their show was actually judged on. That, and a ridiculously false forced meme.

Didn't call you a weirdo, and didn't say all the games sucked. In fact, I got the Xbox one launch day, and I got my ps4 in April.

Want to know about all the bugs and mistakes? Watch the video...

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
XboxOne sells well that's all that matters! And it is selling well with a faster momentum then XB360. I had a PS3 before and went for One due to more exciting evolution of the system then what PS4 can ever do.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
XboxOne sells well that's all that matters! And it is selling well with a faster momentum then XB360. I had a PS3 before and went for One due to more exciting evolution of the system then what PS4 can ever do.

It is selling okay, but not amazing for a 2013 console. I like both systems because they have games that one another doesn't have, which is why I got both. :)

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Lots of new stuff/updates coming e.g. media player, mkv, 1TB limited-edition CODAW, TRR exclusivity on the one.

I think the sales will pick up by end of 2014..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb