Xbox One vs. PS4

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
As a PC gamer on his third build, my experiences conflict with your false perceptions. It is you who does not believe me... (also the owner of 8+ consoles because exclusivity is a terrible thing)

Crysis is both extreme and special- that series has traditionally pushed the boundaries of current PC technology. When Crysis 1 came out, it was often joked that the developers made it for some hypothetical future computer from the sky, because no one could run it without lowering the settings.

For consoles they removed all the fancy visuals so it could run. Which is entirely possible to do on PC too, but your position seems to be that "if it doesn't run at default settings it doesn't run at all!"

I also don't appreciate how I elaborated at length, and your response is simply, "your word choice for an entirely inconsequential part of the post was wrong, and you're wrong but I won't bother to qualify that or address anything that you've said!"

Discussions?! How do they work?

Hhhh. I just popped in to jest at how the "simplicity" of consoles dies a little more every year as they adopt some of the attributes of PC in the worst ways they can. Y'all were way too defensive and dragged me into a stupid "we're going to close our ears and repeat our opinions at you"- sorry it took me this long to realize it wasn't an actual discussion.

/me leaves
Wow real mature. Lol. Buh bye 👋

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
any assertion that consoles are objectively cheaper/better "for gaming" is just not true.

It's an objective fact that console gaming is cheaper than PC gaming for all but a very tiny niche of consumers. Consoles cost lest than gaming PCs and are supported, without upgrade, for a decade with new games. A non-upgraded PC five years from now being able to play new games is rare. Ten years from now? Not possible. You have to pay more to stay in the PC game.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Remember the cost of console hardware is offset by increased software and peripheral prices, whereas PCs are the other way around.

Is it worth having this master race vs console debate? Seems to be the same as every one since time began! Until someone can come up with a new point either way we are just beating a dead horses much decayed corpse.

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Remember the cost of console hardware is offset by increased software and peripheral prices, whereas PCs are the other way around.

Is it worth having this master race vs console debate? Seems to be the same as every one since time began! Until someone can come up with a new point either way we are just beating a dead horses much decayed corpse.

Agreed. Used games (discs) for consoles = new games discs for PC games in terms of prices.

SOOOOO by that, the console wars is won by PS4 this since most multiplats runs better on it???

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Actually, console gaming allows you to buy and sell used games. Can't do that on PC. So any price-point advantage you think PC gaming has over console gaming, in regards to games and peripherals is negligible, at best, but most likely, nonexistent. This is also why I included the caveat "for all but a niche of gamers" in my original post. Do you have any idea how many games one would have to buy more cheaply on PC to compensate for the higher costs of the hardware? A lot. So much that only 99.99% of gamers would even have a chance of doing so and, at that point, it doesn't matter anymore because the findings aren't generalizable--never mind that you would still have to go through the hassle of upgrading your hardware multiple times in a decade.

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Actually, console gaming allows you to buy and sell used games. Can't do that on PC. So any price-point advantage you think PC gaming has over console gaming, in regards to games and peripherals is negligible, at best, but most likely, nonexistent. ..

In my country people who sell their used games prices are almost equal with the new PC game discs.

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Just thought I would chime in. This is my opinion, but I think that there is a good chance with the introduction of windows 10 that PC gaming and console gaming maybe intertwined. I have a feeling based on the little bit I am hearing, it is not that far of a stretch to see Xbox one able to stream PC games through someone's home internet. Since both have the same operating system and play on currently works in a similar fashion (steam uses an outdated version of streaming to other pcs), I see no reason why you couldn't have a backended high spec'd PC streaming on a Xbox one. The simplicity of an Xbox one combined with the power of a windows 10 PC.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
From Stardock CEO, Brad Wardell.. (DX11 x DX12)

DirectX 11 vs. DirectX 12 oversimplified with Brad Wardell
"
DirectX 11: Your CPU communicates to the GPU 1 core to 1 core at a time. It is still a big boost over DirectX 9 where only 1 dedicated thread was allowed to talk to the GPU but it’s still only scratching the surface.
DirectX 12: Every core can talk to the GPU at the same time and, depending on the driver, I could theoretically start taking control and talking to all those cores.
That’s basically the difference. Oversimplified to be sure but it’s why everyone is so excited about this.
The GPU wars will really take off as each vendor will now be able to come up with some amazing tools to offload work onto GPUs.
"

"
Your theoretical improvement in performance is (N-1)X100% where N is how many cores you have. That’s not what you’ll really get. No one writes perfect parallelized code and no GPU is at 0% saturation. But you get the idea.
"

"
GDC
Pay very very close attention to GDC this year. Even if you’re an OpenGL fan. NVidia, AMD, Microsoft, Intel and Sony have a unified goal. Something is about to happen. Something wonderful.

"

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Looks like the market has some healthy competition - I am pleased... For now anyway.

My concern is if Sony sell off their mobile division how long before PlayStation is spun into its own company outside Sony (as the Sony ship sinks into debt and administration), does the games market stagnate due to lack of competition?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the market has some healthy competition - I am pleased... For now anyway.

My concern is if Sony sell off their mobile division how long before PlayStation is spun into its own company outside Sony (as the Sony ship sinks into debt and administration), does the games market stagnate due to lack of competition?

This is what I'm afraid of. I'm all about Xbox One but Microsoft would definitely love to rest on its laurels if given the opportunity I think. And that is no bueno for the awesomeness we've come to expect from the Xbox name.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Looks like the market has some healthy competition - I am pleased... For now anyway.My concern is if Sony sell off their mobile division how long before PlayStation is spun into its own company outside Sony (as the Sony ship sinks into debt and administration), does the games market stagnate due to lack of competition?

I am not that concerned about that. The Playstation brand is healthy. If they spun it off from Sony, it won't suddenly die off. Besides, there is a lot more to the gaming industry than Xbox and Playstation: Nintendo, Steam, Origin, the iOS app store, and Google Play are major players, and Amazon is trying to get into the game as well. There is a ton of competition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire