To add multiple users or not

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have an Xbox One, still figuring it out but I am on the winning streak I think.

I currently have a post up about subscription services that has proved very useful.

I am not a gamer, I bought the Xbox as the main control point for our entertainment, the people in the word OUR is me and my wife. Our son lives with us, but has his own Xbox 360, gaming PC and laptop, so although sometimes watches TV with us, he can easily amuse himself.

So it's really me and the wife, currently I am the only account set up on the Xbox One, as far as I can tell it doesn't matter who gives a voice command this way, the One doesn't learn your voice so both me my boy and the wife can give commands (Although she hasn't spoken to it yet).

I have also been trying to figure out how we can interact with the Xbox One regards music. We both share our music and all of it is based on CD's we own, I rip them to our desktop and then copy to either mine or her devices depending if it's crap she likes or good stuff I like.

We both have laptops, surfaces and Windows phones each with our own MS accounts so she is she and I am me, we don't have accounts on each others devices.

But the Xbox is different, it's all hooked up to our TV, it's our main entertainment system (Well it will be when I have sorted out a few more issues).

What would happen if I am at work (I do shift work), the Xbox would not recognise her so wouldn't log on to allow her to do anything?

I have noticed the "Expensive" Xbox music pass is only for one person (Not much use to two of us and there is no way we would take out two separate subscriptions to a service we would get very little use out of as most of what we listen to is ripped CD's and both of us are too old to change our music tastes so we are not into most of the music available on Xbox music pass anyway) but I can push our music from laptop or Surface Pro to the Xbox One, but cannot do the same from my wife's Surface 2 I would guess because she doesn't have an account on it so this would tend to make me consider adding her account.

What other advantages/disadvantages are there to adding accounts, what happens if I am logged in but she wants to play music, do we have to switch logins, does her walking into the room if I am out change the login?

The main reason I bought the Xbox is there was no way in the world my wife would ever have been able to figure out how to do something like play a DVD on our old system which was a desktop rigged up to the telly, but controlled by VNC from my laptop. So far I am really impressed by what the Xbox can do, like take a picture on my phone and see it on One drive Via the Xbox in seconds, so was the wife, but she can't do this yet as I have not set up her account yet until I sort out the few remaining issues.

I am sure I have a couple more questions on this subject and sorry for the long post......

..... but I want to get this right before I set her up and teach her how it works, she hates it if I start explaining but say "Haven't sorted that bit out yet".

All help and suggestions on multiple accounts welcome.

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I just got her to speak to the Xbox and change the TV channel :)

Possibly three reasons so far, OneDrive for pictures and the pushing music from devices and the ability to do stuff if I am not about, I am sure she could turn it on with "Xbox on" but if I am not about it won't get logged on and I am not sure how that would work.

Bob

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if it's still live or just still in preview, but I believe there's an option to have a certain account always log in.

Logging in manually (if you dont want Kinect sign in) isnt also hard to teach even to a not-so-tech-sawwy person

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just came home from work with a Pioneer receiver so the final piece of hardware is in place and already being controlled by the Xbox, so it's now down to testing every thing for a few more days, I will set the wife up as a user tonight and see what happens, how the users interact and then I will do the training, apart from the local music issue and having to push music from the laptops or surfaces I am really pleased with how the Xbox works, I am pretty sure I can make this so simple even my wife can work this (And I am not mucking about when I say she isn't tech savvy).

At the moment I have Kinect logging me in, so it's the two account issue to sort out.

Xbox wonderful, Xbox Smartglass wonderful, no local access to music directly on the Xbox a bit of a pain, but you never know, if we moan enough maybe they will change this.

Bob

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720