Media APP (Surprised no one has mentioned it)

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am very surprised no one has mentioned this article:

Xbox One to get new media player, new Friends section and more in future updates | Windows Phone Central

If I understand this correctly the media app will finally add support for local music, either by the use of USB or DNLA, all I can say is "Thank you very much Microsoft".

I admit reading what is written doesn't make one thing clear. Does it mean your local music will show up in the music app on the Xbox One, or do you have to launch a separate "Media" app to play it. Either way I am just happy local music will be available.

Couple of other things worth mentioning, the ability to boot straight to TV instead of having to say "Watch TV" to make it full screen, this will be appreciated by my wife who hasn't got the hang of talking to it yet, she is of the opinion if you turn the telly on the telly should come on.

It's probably more a show piece but being able to show the TV through Smartglass could be handy especially if you need to go into the kitchen for five minutes whilst the rest of the family are watching something together, just pick up your Surface and still be part of the family. The small mini guide could also be handy.

Can't say much on the others as I am not a gamer (Yet).

I for one think these improvements will make a lot more people of my generation (58 ish, well I forget sometimes) and even younger folk in their forties and so on, consider the Xbox One as the way to go, I know a lot of my friends are inline to buy one, but were put off by no real support for local music.

Bob

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah - I think the news of Tomb Raider being exclusive to XBOX now pretty much overshadowed the media app stuff. I hope to test it out in the preview program soon.

A real test to see how 'invasive' the XBOX One has been in my family will be coming up in a few weeks. I take the XBOX One with me to a guys weekend for a Fantasy Football (American Football) draft in Wisconsin to play Madden and Titanfall with them. I'll make sure to keep track how often my wife mentions, "You know... I tried talking to the TV today and it didn't work... bring the XBOX back soon please."

akaliel

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been hoping to see more details on the new media app today, especially some screenshots. I hope it has a slick interface and not just a giant list of file names. I'd LOVE it if it looked like my Media Browser app on my old Windows 7 Media Center PC.

Course, I need a preview invite to try it out myself..... If anyone were.... kind enough..... to invite me ..... :)

kelvinrennie

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I got the 8.1 update on my 1520 last week and I must say the music player it's changed and it's not working properly at all, it's freezing, it's not saving content like playlist, music that I've just added album art to etc. Never had these problems before the update...I think Microsoft should let whoever is responsible for making Nokia's part music player handle the one on Windows Phone

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen the APP yet, but it looks like I will end up with one PC too many, I bought my desktop to do two main jobs, act as a file server and to be my media center.

OneDrive has almost made the file server redundant, all my wife's and my personal files are transferred, just some legacy files from a business I used to run to transfer or I suppose delete as it's been four years since I shut it down and sold the domains.

MS Media Center will be redundant once the app goes live.

Anyone want to buy a HP desktop with a Logitech BT keyboard :smile:

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3