Am I missing something here?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I own an Xbox one but dont play it that often so I'm far from an expert on the ins and outs of it. That being said, from what Im seeing I looks like the Xbox downloads my game to the hard drive even if I have a physical copy?

Fine, but then why does it promo me to enter the disc when I try to play it from the "apps and games" section if it downloaded it?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Because that's how it verifies that you're an owner. If you didn't need the disc (in the X1 current state) people would buy/rent games and turn them back in for a refund.

The way the XBOX One was Originally designed - you wouldn't have needed the disc after it installs (it doesn't 'download' the game when you have the disc). However, you would need to always connect it to the internet so that it could make a 'verification check' online once a day.

If you have subscribed to EA Access and own any of the currently 4 offered games (FIFA14, Madden 25, Battlefield 4, Peggle 2) on disc - you don't need to put the disc in anymore (while you're subscribed that is).

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Because that's how it verifies that you're an owner. If you didn't need the disc (in the X1 current state) people would buy/rent games and turn them back in for a refund.

The way the XBOX One was Originally designed - you wouldn't have needed the disc after it installs (it doesn't 'download' the game when you have the disc). However, you would need to always connect it to the internet so that it could make a 'verification check' online once a day.

If you have subscribed to EA Access and own any of the currently 4 offered games (FIFA14, Madden 25, Battlefield 4, Peggle 2) on disc - you don't need to put the disc in anymore (while you're subscribed that is).
I figured it was some sort of verification thing, but there's got to be a better way to verify that you own the game. An 'owner' verison that copies over some sort of metadata identifying you as the owner that will only install on one machine, and a 'rental' version that allows unlimited plays but won't install said metadata to the console?

I dunno I guess that's why I don't work at MS. I'm just too lazy to get off the couch and switch discs dammit!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
There really isnt a solid way of doing it that wouldn't involve every console to be online, and do you remember the crapstorm that happened when MS wanted to do just that to avoid this kind of verification?

The PS4 also installs all games to hard drive, disc or not. I have a feeling that this installation requirement has something to do with disc reading too slow or something compared to HDD for next gen games' needs.

And yeah, that's why I prefer digital games, although I do buy physical games too, mostly with games that I treat as "a playthrough or two single player game, then selling it". But anything that I plan to play more long term (MP games such as Titanfall or Destiny in the future) I will get digitally, it's just so handy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos