General Xbox One discussion thread

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
What is the difference in the basic XB one system and the verison with a game and Kinect? Are the systems the same, or better yet what are the specs of the basic System? I am buying one for my son for Christmas, and I am wondering what the route to go is.

Next question, What are the major differences in the 360 and 0ne besides hardware. Is the 360 able to do all the media things the one does? Like control via Kinect, etc? And all the apps available for the 360 as well.?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What is the difference in the basic XB one system and the verison with a game and Kinect? Are the systems the same, or better yet what are the specs of the basic System? I am buying one for my son for Christmas, and I am wondering what the route to go is.

Next question, What are the major differences in the 360 and 0ne besides hardware. Is the 360 able to do all the media things the one does? Like control via Kinect, etc? And all the apps available for the 360 as well.?

There are a lot of differences. As the One is a newer console, there are some 360 apps which have not transitioned (in many cases, they're still being worked on). As someone who only plays games, I don't really have examples of that. However, it DOES add things like Twitch streaming and the Game DVR for social media sharing of games, with the One. Also, the Xbox One can control a LOT more with the Kinect. However, if your son ONLY plays games on his console (no Netflix and such, making the voice commands mostly irrelevant to him), you'd be better off just skipping the Kinect, and putting that extra $100 into another game or two for him.

The consoles are all the same, with the only differences being that the Sunset Overdrive bundle is white, the CoD one has a larger hard drive and a special skin, some bundles some with the Kinect, and then bundles have different games included.

Also, note some things with the One for the holidays, in case they apply to you:

1. The Microsoft Store will give $100 for any 360 or PS3, when trading towards a One (this is a big thing to take advantage of, if he has an older model).
2. If he has a newer model, Best Buy gives $100 for a 360 Slim with a 250-GB hard drive.
3. Starting 11/2, all Xbox One bundles are $50 off. So, wait until Sunday to buy, unless you go to a place like Best Buy or Target, which will do retroactive refunds on lower prices.
4. For this week and next, Best Buy is having a special where you can sign up for their Gamers Club Unlocked for $30 (normally $100-120), if you buy a game $39.99 or higher (so, if you intended to buy him a game outside of the bundle that is out, that would work). GCU gives you 20% off new games for 2 years, so all of those $60 games become $48 games. You also get the benefit of pre-order rewards certificates, meaning some games will get you $10 back in Best Buy money (if you shop there), so your next game could be $10 cheaper.

Naveen Navi V

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello Keith, I was wondering can I purchase games from my Xbox one without having live gold membership?
I got to know that if a person has live gold membership then he can get discounts on Xbox games?
Thanks in advance.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello Keith, I was wondering can I purchase games from my Xbox one without having live gold membership?
I got to know that if a person has live gold membership then he can get discounts on Xbox games?
Thanks in advance.

There are 1-2 games/week that get the "Deals with Gold" designation on Xbox One. With those, you'll get a discount for having LIVE Gold. Otherwise, no subscription is need to purchase games digitally (which can be done from the console, site, or SmartGlass app). However, even with the Deals with Gold discounts, physical games are going to be cheaper, either through something like Gamers Club Unlocked at Best Buy, or simply because retailers (particularly Amazon) will put newer games on-sale within a couple of months. Meanwhile, Microsoft MIGHT stick a game onto Deals with Gold within 6 months of the game's release, but it might be even longer than that to see a game get a price drop.

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
G'day, anyone here use a sound bar on the Xbox one? Was thinking of buying the polk n1 surroundbar but thought id see if anyone has used it and their thoughts or if there is anything better around the same price?

Naveen Navi V

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello, ive battlefield 4 bought it last week. Yesterday when I launched the game I got a pop up saying there is a nee update. When I try to update its getting hang, I cant even use mu controller to go back or go to the main page. Don't know what to do. Can anyone help me please.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Try doing a hard reset on your console. Press and hold the power button on the front of the XBOX for 8 seconds.

Also - yesterday there were some issues with XBOX Live (which in my experience has been fixed).

Hello, ive battlefield 4 bought it last week. Yesterday when I launched the game I got a pop up saying there is a nee update. When I try to update its getting hang, I cant even use mu controller to go back or go to the main page. Don't know what to do. Can anyone help me please.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99