What have Netflix done to their Xbox One app??!

deebee_433

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
So, I don't know how many of you use Netflix on your Xbox, but I do and the latest update to the Netflix app is absolutely terrible! A lot of what made the app unique on the Xbox One has either been removed or gimped heavily and replaced by nothing of any substantive value. Kinect and voice command integration? Gone. Smart glass integration? Barely, to the point of useless. They've also changed the layout for the worse. The previous tile design looked and worked well, especially on HD T.V's. I don't know what they were thinking, but I really hope they sort this crap out fast!

/rant.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I used the voice commands in Netflix a lot and last night I couldn't figure out why it wasn't listening to me. I thought the original design could have used a couple of tweaks but was basically simple enough to use. The new design looks very busy and was noticeable less usable in the 10min I spent with it. The 1 thing I do like is the longer list of recently played items, 3 was a bit restrictive.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Wait, so stuff like "Xbox, play" no longer works with it?

That was hands down one of my favourite things about the Xbox One to begin with lol, wtf -_-

Sequel2k

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Snapping Netflix doesn't appear to work for me anymore. If I am playing a game with Netflix snapped, the audio plays normally, but the video pauses.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I'm sure it's because Netflix wants a consistent interface across platforms. The problem is, now it's just consistently bad.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Wait, so stuff like "Xbox, play" no longer works with it?

That was hands down one of my favourite things about the Xbox One to begin with lol, wtf -_-

The Xbox, Play/Rewind/Fast Forward/Pause Commands still work, it's just the voice navigation stuff that isn't quite right. I also echo the same complaints about the snap mode video failing to work properly... I was never a big fan of the 'new' UI and I hated the new app icon/logo since it was originally unveiled... but such is life. I'm sure we'll adapt and keep using the service. It just sucks that I have to use my controller to navigate when I've gotten so used to just verbally navigating and doing actions

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure it's because Netflix wants a consistent interface across platforms. The problem is, now it's just consistently bad.

Just looked at Netflix on my laptop and it's still side to side for categories whereas on the XB1 it's silly little up and down, much worst than before, didn't try voice, but it's a shame when things are supposedly improved and end up being far worst than before.

Bob

deebee_433

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
The Xbox, Play/Rewind/Fast Forward/Pause Commands still work, it's just the voice navigation stuff that isn't quite right. I also echo the same complaints about the snap mode video failing to work properly... I was never a big fan of the 'new' UI and I hated the new app icon/logo since it was originally unveiled... but such is life. I'm sure we'll adapt and keep using the service. It just sucks that I have to use my controller to navigate when I've gotten so used to just verbally navigating and doing actions

I may of jumped the gun in my haste to vent, so my original post may not of been entirely accurate. For that, I apologise. However, having said that, my problem entirely is that they got rid of the voice commands that WERE used in a meaningful way. It's not enough to say 'oh, well, we want consistency so were going to do it at the expense of the stuff that made sense to own a Kinect. That's not to say that using a controller isn't an option, but when you put forth a premise built on a idea that adds value to an experience and then suddenly take that away you're not really helping the situation. Eventually (I'm hoping) that the navigational commands will return as well as more of the native Xbox controls. It sucks, especially since imo, the experience we had was superior in everyway. It wasn't perfect, granted, but it worked and it worked well. 😞

Last edited:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It is weird. It's like, it skips the universal voice commands and adds its own. Have you all noticed the new voice commands bar at the bottom? That is how you navigate by voice. The first time I tried using them it didn't pick up right, but now everything seems to work fine. Things like "Next list", "previous list" will guide you through the various areas. Below each movie title is "Play 1" and "Play 2"... although this I really like actually, because I can actually still see the thumbnail image! This is what I hated most about the way it was... when I said "xbox select", the numbers would show up in green smack dab in the middle of the thumbnail, and it was hard to see.

Basically, play with it a little, you can still do everything by voice - it just seems to be tapping into an Xbox One custom voice API. My thought is that people were complaining about selection numbers getting in the way of the thumbnails, so they changed things.

I was shocked to see it go to looking like the 360 version is now. But in a way, I am glad my 'Recently watched' list doesn't instantly launch to the movie/show. The old xbox one app... yea it's nice for the most part and great for movies, but I had tv shows in there that weren't in my queue any longer, or buried deep inside... so there was no way to get to the episode selection screen without finding it buried in the queue or performing a search for the show and launching the main title screen for it. Pet peeve. I was getting used to the look of the X1 Netflix app.. but I think each has its own pros and cons.

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I read this topic a few days ago and I was happy using Netflix, I think the voice command may be a bit more complicated to get around but I was still finding the app ok.
Today however I realised, you cannot change audio option (eg turn on subtitles) but most of all, I logged out and tried to log in to my account only to see that the login form does not use the Xbox keyboard so Smatglass was useless and it was way more difficult than it needed to be to enter my login information...
I hope their custom voice/keyboard interface is to see more updates soon as for now it seems like a downgrade to me...
But now that I'm all logged in, i'll go watch some Netflix...

EDIT - well... it seems gestures don't even work anymore!!!

Last edited:

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread before posting another one, but I posted one here encouraging everyone else to help me ping Netflix until they revert back to the old app. It's absurd that they removed so many features. I completely relied on voice- and gesture-navigation and now I can't use either. Xbox One had the superior Netflix app, better than any other version. And now they took that away and made the X1 app as crappy as the rest of them. It's mind-boggling.

deebee_433

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I read this topic a few days ago and I was happy using Netflix, I think the voice command may be a bit more complicated to get around but I was still finding the app ok.
Today however I realised, you cannot change audio option (eg turn on subtitles) but most of all, I logged out and tried to log in to my account only to see that the login form does not use the Xbox keyboard so Smatglass was useless and it was way more difficult than it needed to be to enter my login information...
I hope their custom voice/keyboard interface is to see more updates soon as for now it seems like a downgrade to me...
But now that I'm all logged in, i'll go watch some Netflix...

EDIT - well... it seems gestures don't even work anymore!!!

Not at all! I'm just glad that there are others who feel the same way. A quick glance at the official Netflix app board on the Xbox forums will tell you quite a bit about how people feel about this absolutely ****ty update. And that's exactly what it is! :(

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Not at all! I'm just glad that there are others who feel the same way. A quick glance at the official Netflix app board on the Xbox forums will tell you quite a bit about how people feel about this absolutely ****ty update. And that's exactly what it is! :(

Guys, please help out by pinging Netflix support on their site or on Twitter. I list instructions on how to do so here. We need the old Netflix app back because the X1 app was superior to all other versions. Help, even if you don't have Netflix or an X1! It's specifically effective if you mention Kinect, gesture and voice controls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)