XBOX ONE - Two consoles in same house, 1 gamertag - how seamless?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

So with the XBOX ONE deals I am considering getting a 2nd XBOX ONE for my media room.

But I have a few questions... XBOX 360 was quite poor for trying to use one XBOX LIVE Gamertag on two consoles, at least back when I tried it a long time ago. It was a very cumbersome process you would not want to do every day.

So, a few scenarios:

Assuming all games are digital, all saves are in the cloud, and gamertag was initially set up on both consoles, how smooth will the following scenarios work out?

Scenario 1: Let's say I have DESTINY in digital on both consoles. I start playing upstairs, save game in cloud, exit game, do *not* log out of live, then move downstairs and log in there with same Gamertag - will downstairs console automatically log out upstairs console?

Scenario 2: I am watching Netflix/WWE Network/etc on my gamertag upstairs. Someone continues to watch that upstairs and I go downstairs to play a game on same gamertag. Will the streaming video upstairs be shut down or continue to work since it does not require live subscription? Will downstairs seamlessly log in?

Scenario 3: I am streaming XBOX Music on my gamertag upstairs. Someone continues tot listen upstairs and I go downstairs to play a game on same gamertag. Will the streaming audio be shut down or continue to play?

I haven't owned two of the same console ever but in my current situation it would make sense for games and media. I just want to know if I can go between the two easily without having to jump through hoops as was the case with XBOX 360. If someone could give some insight on any of the above scenarios it would be very helpful - thanks.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Interesting question, and hope to see some answers.

At the moment I have one Xbox One, my lad is thinking of buying one but that is a separate issue as he will have his GT on his own box, but I am also considering getting one for the wife/bedroom TV, my wife has a GT on my Xbox and it would make sense for me to have GT on the one in the bedroom. So we would end up with two Xbox's with two GT's on each device

We aren't massive gamers, so for TV and music I see no problems as the Xbox just streams the music and takes info for the TV guide, but for games I would guess it would be more complex as if you download, are you allowed to download one game to two devices, if you are you then allowed to play the same game on two devices at the same time or would you have to shut one down and then register the other one.

My main reasoning for doing this is making a single standard of control so my wife can easily cope with just one way of doing things in either room, but it would be nice to have the music on two boxes instead of having to use our laptops or surfaces as you get better sound out of larger speakers.

Our bedroom TV has a Humax Freeview box, I think I would consider scrapping this and getting the Xbox TV dongle so she can record TV to the Xbox without having to understand the/use the Humax remote.

I would also buy the Xbox media remote so we have one in each room, again for a single standard.

Bob

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

So with the XBOX ONE deals I am considering getting a 2nd XBOX ONE for my media room.

But I have a few questions... XBOX 360 was quite poor for trying to use one XBOX LIVE Gamertag on two consoles, at least back when I tried it a long time ago. It was a very cumbersome process you would not want to do every day.

So, a few scenarios:

Assuming all games are digital, all saves are in the cloud, and gamertag was initially set up on both consoles, how smooth will the following scenarios work out?

Scenario 1: Let's say I have DESTINY in digital on both consoles. I start playing upstairs, save game in cloud, exit game, do *not* log out of live, then move downstairs and log in there with same Gamertag - will downstairs console automatically log out upstairs console?
Yes logging into a new console will automatically log out of the previous console.

Scenario 2: I am watching Netflix/WWE Network/etc on my gamertag upstairs. Someone continues to watch that upstairs and I go downstairs to play a game on same gamertag. Will the streaming video upstairs be shut down or continue to work since it does not require live subscription? Will downstairs seamlessly log in?
Where it get's tricky. Netflix shouldnt be an issue, im unsure if the WWE requires gold. You can setup one of the consoles as your "home" console. that makes that console have GOLD for everyone that is logged into it. Your secondary console must be online with your GT that has GOLD on it logged in to get the gold features (online multiplayer and anything that is behind a paywall (netflix no longer is, some apps are tho)). Unless you buy another GOLD subscription then you can set that GT to the "home" on your secondary console.

Scenario 3: I am streaming XBOX Music on my gamertag upstairs. Someone continues tot listen upstairs and I go downstairs to play a game on same gamertag. Will the streaming audio be shut down or continue to play?
I'm unsure how this would work, but im assuming it would log the first console out and stop playing. An alternative would be to use an DLNA server on your home network to stream the music. Of course this would require you to have downloaded copies of the music you want to play.

I haven't owned two of the same console ever but in my current situation it would make sense for games and media. I just want to know if I can go between the two easily without having to jump through hoops as was the case with XBOX 360. If someone could give some insight on any of the above scenarios it would be very helpful - thanks.

Really the best way is to have a gold subscription per xbox, but it isnt 100% necessary. Just know on your secondary console its going to be limited if you dont have a gold enabled GT logged in.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I am the only one using XBOX #2, so if I make XBOX #1 my home console then all should be fine. Thank you for clearing up how it works.

So basically you can have one "family" XBOX (i.e. the living room), but after that you need gold for stuff that needs gold. I think that is workable in most scenarios.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss