Thermaltake laptop fan to keep Xbox One cool?

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey y'all. Future X1 owner with a concern...

So in a few months when I finally save up enough to buy an X1 plus accessories, I am planning to seat the console in my TV shelf "cabinet" (with the doors closed).

Here's the issue, I live in Florida, the center is right in front of a window, and the ambient air temperature is usually between 84-87?F in my living room (electricity bill from constant A/C).

I was considering taking apart my Thermaltake 23 ST laptop cooling pad, cutting a box hole in the cabinet-backing to fit the fan and plugging it into one of the USB ports on the back of the X1. Plus seating the X1 on top of the leftover cooling pad chassis. I'm worried about temperatures even while simply watching pass though TV.

It's a 23cm fan that moves 57CFM of air. Does the X1 output power to the USB port when off? Even if its not a controller or drive that's plugged in?

Edit: It must be noted that my laptop with an i7-3xxQM has no heat problems with this air temp.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

If your laptop i7 doesn't have cooling problems, the One won't. The i7's in a more-cramped space (more heat buildup), and probably has inferior cooling as a result (less chance to push clean air). I'd think that simply cutting out the back of the media center would be enough. It's obviously cooler than that in IL right now, but my console had no issues when it was in the upper-80's with a heat index north of 100 degrees and humidity in the 80%+ range. It wouldn't be a detriment to run it, of course, but I wouldn't think it necessary.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
re:

If your laptop i7 doesn't have cooling problems, the One won't. The i7's in a more-cramped space (more heat buildup), and probably has inferior cooling as a result (less chance to push clean air). I'd think that simply cutting out the back of the media center would be enough. It's obviously cooler than that in IL right now, but my console had no issues when it was in the upper-80's with a heat index north of 100 degrees and humidity in the 80%+ range. It wouldn't be a detriment to run it, of course, but I wouldn't think it necessary.
Thanks for the insight Keith

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
re:

OK it's not specifically for the Xbox but it could be an alternative solution, my Xbox One sits in my under TV cabinet on a shelf with a Pioneer receiver that doesn't really have enough clearance so gets very hot to the point where it would shut its self down most evenings (It was OK being restarted at once) so I went into a Maplin (UK electronics and store) with the intention of buying a PC fan and cutting it into the back of the cabinet, but Maplin had some USB fans going cheaply so I bought one, the receiver is too deep to have the fan at the back so the fan sits at the back of the Xbox pointing at the receiver and haven't had any issues with shutting down since, and with winter coming it also makes the cabinet into a small fan heater pushing gentle heat into the room.

Whilst I had all the devices out to clean up the spaghetti mess of wiring I also took the time to drill some ventilation holes in the back of the cabinet.

Bob

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
re:

OK it's not specifically for the Xbox but it could be an alternative solution, my Xbox One sits in my under TV cabinet on a shelf with a Pioneer receiver that doesn't really have enough clearance so gets very hot to the point where it would shut its self down most evenings (It was OK being restarted at once) so I went into a Maplin (UK electronics and store) with the intention of buying a PC fan and cutting it into the back of the cabinet, but Maplin had some USB fans going cheaply so I bought one, the receiver is too deep to have the fan at the back so the fan sits at the back of the Xbox pointing at the receiver and haven't had any issues with shutting down since, and with winter coming it also makes the cabinet into a small fan heater pushing gentle heat into the room.

Whilst I had all the devices out to clean up the spaghetti mess of wiring I also took the time to drill some ventilation holes in the back of the cabinet.

Bob
Does the USB fan (if you have it plugged into the One) run while its in standby (Instant-On)?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
re:

Because it's the receiver that overheats I actually have it plugged into that and that gets turned on by the Xbox.

I think a proper PC fan would be a better choice but you then have to find a power supply to hook it up to.

But for the few pounds I spent on the USB its a cheap and cheerful solution in the summer.

Bob

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
re:

Because it's the receiver that overheats I actually have it plugged into that and that gets turned on by the Xbox.

I think a proper PC fan would be a better choice but you then have to find a power supply to hook it up to.

But for the few pounds I spent on the USB its a cheap and cheerful solution in the summer.

Bob
*nods* Thanks Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077