Xbox one noise

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Is there a disc in it?

It sounds like a fan hitting a cable. Why cant you return it?

With a flashlight you may be able to see what the fan is hitting and use a screwdriver or something to poke the cable down, if that's what it is.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I really doubt that's your HDD. If it was you wouldnt be able to install a game. Usually a HDD will have more of a crunch sound, and be a less consistent of a sound. That's because it's the arm that reads/writes that causes HDD's to make sound, not the discs spinning inside.

Mine is whisper quiet. Does the sound get louder/faster when you're playing a game? If so it's definatly something against the fan blades.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
xboxoneopen.jpg

Considering where the fan and HDD are, it sounds more like the fan hitting something. Either way, if you can't return it... open it up and find out! xD

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
My guess is either something is hitting the fan, or dirt in the bearing or bad bearing. Hard to really pin point it by video though.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Don't all XBOX Ones come with a 1-3 year warranty? Call Microsoft up to replace it.

The Xbox one comes with a 1 year warranty, if it's a US based one, they would have about a month left......

It does sound more like a fan based issue, than a hard drive one....but, very hard to tell on that video...

To the OP, if you got your Xbox one on ebay or something, you could say that you got it as a Xmas gift or something. As this would not be fraud unless it was opened, as all Xbox one systems in the US are still under warranty for at least a month (system has a 1 year warranty and it has not been out a full year yet).

I would try to call MS first before trying to open it...If it IS a hard drive, a 500gb one to replace it will still cost $100 but, you cant just dump a drive in the system, it needs to be formatted a special way with the serial number and that is something Microsoft can only do...

People are putting larger drives in the Xbox one BUT, in the process they clone the original drive with the extra space.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss