Thoughts on running cable/satellite through the One

staticK78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else have their cable/satellite running through their One? I'm asking because I have Directv running thru it and it obviously has to be on all the time the TV is on and I'm wondering about wear/overheating issues...if any.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i have it on constantly, and is set to boot to tv at start, so i primarily use it to control my satellite through, works great - only issue is it darkens the picture depending on your kit, because of a bug in the hdmi colour space (make the image clip blacks and whites) - there are workarounds....ie, choose DVI, instead of hdmi (even though you are connected to hdmi) [as that gives correct settings] and then use optical for audio

also, regarding heat/wear - the xb1 is a large console, with a large chassis which is better for heat dissipation, also the PSU is external, in the power brick, which reduces heat compared to units with internal supplies, and thus far haven't had any issue with heat etc, as it was pretty much designed with this ability in mind

i guess you can look at it like its essentially a computer, and we all know we have our computers on a heck of a lot! :)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The Xbox One was designed with this in mind, so it can take being on a lot, it's a big box with a big cooler. To a point where it's pretty much overkill, but I wouldn't worry about that.

staticK78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys!! I felt comfortable running it that way...I just wanted to get some other points of view. I, myself, haven't had any issues and all is good.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have my Xbox next to a big receiver that gets very hot, both are on all the time the TV is on (In other words all the time we are home from work and not in bed) and the receiver does get hot so I bought a small USB fan that sits at the back and blows air over both, I am not worried about the Xbox as it is smaller than the receiver and has plenty of room around it whereas the receiver only has about half inch of space around it, so thought and air flow would be a good idea.

The cable box goes to the Xbox, that goes to the receiver then up to the telly.

Bob

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I also have my cable box connected through the Xbox One. Both my wife and myself already got used to turning on the Xbox One to watch TV and use it this way all the time. It is easy since we just say "Xbox On" and have it set up to go straight to TV (through power settings if I recall correctly). We really like being able to look at the TV Guide through the Xbox itself or the SmartGlass app on our phones. She is not a tech person, but she got used to it fairly quick. Because the Xbox One was designed with this in mind, as mentioned by Coreldan, I doubt your console won't be at risk of overheating.

Goosinurwife

Banned
Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
so I can connect the cox cable directly to the xbox one and use it as a cable box fantastic I was tired of not getting HD channels since we returned all cable boxes cuz they cost to much

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
no, its via HDMI pass through from your existing STB - BUT.....just recently MS have also released an addon periphearl, an external tuner dongle, which you can run the coax into to have digital tv, so either option really.

so I can connect the cox cable directly to the xbox one and use it as a cable box fantastic I was tired of not getting HD channels since we returned all cable boxes cuz they cost to much

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The tuner dongle is for European cable companies, which do not use switched digital video (SDV) or copy-once protection. In the US, you would probably need an SDV tuning adapter, a cableCARD, and something like an HDHomerun Prime, Tivo box, or a computer running Windows Media Center with a Ceton InfiniTV card. You can rent the SDV tuning adapter and cableCARD from your cable provider for a few bucks a month, but you would have to buy some kind of set-top box or computer hardware.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I had that issue with my laptop. re-running the TV setup fixed it for me.

Regardless i would get that replaced if troubleshooting doesn't fix it.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi, guys...

Reviving an old post. Does the pass-through HDMI degrade the picture/sound quality of the input signal coming from the Satellite receiver or cable box? When I did a search on the Internet, it seems like a fair number of people encountered this issue. The minor delay is understandable and I can live with that, but picture/audio quality degradation I don't think I can take.

Any picky gamers/videophiles here that can comment on this?

patternjake

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I run my freeview through my XBOX ONE and I don't have any problems at all. The picture quality is even better than it is on the normal HD TV, along with the excellent TV guide.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It's digital, but it forces your TV device down to stereo. I know this because I used to connect my HTPC to the Xbox One. I couldn't get my audio device to output stereo. Then I connected the PC to the TV instead and suddenly, the 5.1 and 7.1 options appeared. That is why I don't connect it through the Xbox One anymore. I still leave the Xbox One throughout TV watching and use the Xbox One to turn everything on and off using the Kinect IR blaster. That way I have quick switching for Hulu and Amazon Prime watching or game playing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss