What will happen with the "animated" Avatars?

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

It seems the Xbox (live) Avatars are less and less used. For example, with Xbox One, the players are represented with their "static" avatar picture, not the animated avatar with toys or other stuff. What do you think; will MS abandon the animated avatar system (with stuff, clothes, etc. you can change) or will it be still developped (and why not improved)?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think they're being phased out and will most probably disappear altogether when Xbox 360 is discontinued.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I wish they kept the avatars as well as the animated versions, but it seems like they are phasing them out little by little. How on earth is some generic picture of a soldier better representative of me and my profile than my avatar that actually looks and is dressed like me?

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I wish they kept the avatars as well as the animated versions, but it seems like they are phasing them out little by little. How on earth is some generic picture of a soldier better representative of me and my profile than my avatar that actually looks and is dressed like me?

I totally agree...

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
... and so I suppose I won't be able to get new clothing related to Dragon Age Inquisition for my animated avatar, just to help me waiting for the game's release... ;-) :-(

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think they're being phased out and will most probably disappear altogether when Xbox 360 is discontinued.

I agree. I thought they wanted to implement photo profile pictures using Kinect, but I don't know what's taking so long.
That said, they implemented a new avatar system in Kinect Sports Rivals that automatically creates a lifelike avatar using the Kinect itself. It would be possible to implement that more widely, but it's not likely since they do not require Kinect anymore.

ReconVirus

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I thought the avatar thing was plan stupid and pointless. Some they wanted to do because the Wii had mii( at least that is what I think) if you want something to represent you, why not just take a photo of your self?

I for one glad and really do hope they completely get rid of the whole avatar mii thing. It was just a cash grab

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I for one glad and really do hope they completely get rid of the whole avatar mii thing. It was just a cash grab

This "cash grab" does have a rather wide range of customization available for free.

I don't want to share a photo of myself to strangers on the internet- and I don't believe you're even allowed to do that if you wanted to. But an avatar I created in my likeness is perfectly acceptable.

The avatar system also helps differentiate between online friends, where names are mostly numbers and the only other identifying feature is choosing one of ~12 icons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb