How do you get your Xbox, tv and receiver to turn on when you sayXbox on!?

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
"Xbox on!" A Kinect question

So, kind of a dumb Kinect related question on it's functionality. In standby mode when you say "Xbox on" the Xbox will power on, I got that from the advertising. But what about your TV and A/V receiver? Is it possible for the Xbox One to turn them on as well or will I still be reaching for my remotes when I enter the room?

I plan to trade in my Xbox 360 for the Xbox One this season take advantage of the specials Microsoft is pushing out and I wanted to finish up my research and prepare my living room for the transition.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The Kinect has an IR blaster that sends the appropriate commands to an AV receiver, TV, cable box, etc. after you set them up. The IR blaster is quite powerful and bounces off things in the room. I have my components inside a TV cabinet and the voice commands work very well.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Once you have everything hooked up and turned on, you can go into the settings and set it up so that the Kinect memorizes the remote codes for your devices. It's just like setting up a regular remote, only easier because the Xbox does most of the work for you.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Under the settings menu (either go to My Games and Apps and toggle down to "Settings" or hit the 'menu/hamburger' button and select settings. Go to TV (or a similar heading under the settings menu) - and go through the steps to add your devices.

My Kinect turns on my TV, DirecTV receiver, and my audio bar all on and off when I say XBOX On, or XBOX turn off... ;) It's a pretty cool feature.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It turns them on as well, both TV and receiver if you have it set up.

This feature is called HDMI-CEC, all your devices need to support it to enable this feature. If it is not working, bring up your manual for your TV or receiver, find the area of HDMI control/HDMI-CEC (see the above link some companies call it something different), and find out how to enable it. A lot of devices have it disabled by default.

If you are using a older TV or audio setup without HDMI or this feature, you can not take advantage of it (for at least the one device)

If all your devices support it, in a perfect world, it should be a pretty awesome feature, Turn on your Xbox one, TV goes on, changes to the right HDMI port, then audio receiver turns on and goes to the correct input, change to another device, the same things happen...

Of course that is in a perfect world...and we know this is NOT a perfect world.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Or - with the Kinect you don't need HDMI-CEC at all as the Kinect is an IR-Blaster and does it all on its own ;). As long as a device has IR capabilities (which I believe is still - every device known to man) and the XBOX One has the appropriate codes for it. It'll work.

This feature is called HDMI-CEC, all your devices need to support it to enable this feature. If it is not working, bring up your manual for your TV or receiver, find the area of HDMI control/HDMI-CEC (see the above link some companies call it something different), and find out how to enable it. A lot of devices have it disabled by default.

If you are using a older TV or audio setup without HDMI or this feature, you can not take advantage of it (for at least the one device)

If all your devices support it, in a perfect world, it should be a pretty awesome feature, Turn on your Xbox one, TV goes on, changes to the right HDMI port, then audio receiver turns on and goes to the correct input, change to another device, the same things happen...

Of course that is in a perfect world...and we know this is NOT a perfect world.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Xbox on!" A Kinect question

Thanks guys, that makes me excited to know this should be a pretty easy set up. I'll need to check my tv (TCL brand) but pretty sure my Onkyo receiver is good to go.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Post what model TV you have and I (or someone else) could check to see if it has the remote codes to it. I'm at work now, but I can check quickly when I go home in a few hours...

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Everything I've read says the Xbox One does not support HMI-CEC.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Xbox on!" A Kinect question

By default, the Xbox will only power on/off your TV, even after you've entered the codes for your other devices. You have to go into the settings and tell it you want to power on the receiver and Sat/cable boxes as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos