Xbox Live down due to "denial of service" attack? #LizardSquad claims responsibility - Microsoft Product Reviews - Windows Phone, Surface, Xbox One, Apps & Games

Oh, how I wish that Lizard Squad was a 90's Saturday morning cartoon and not a "hacker" group, but they're at it again. Xbox live went down yesterday and they've already attacked many others. Although, I'm curios to know how Azure as a whole doesn't go down when Xbox Live does.
    12-02-2014 10:59 AM
    AH, again, Maybe Microsoft will take care of members who tried to log in at this time. I remember a few years (?) ago there was one where it was out for a while, MS gave everyone a code for a free month of Xbox live if I remember correctly.
    12-02-2014 11:07 AM
    I don't buy it. Lizard Squad is known for, after the fact, trying to take credit for things they didn't do. I see them claiming responsibility as a canard--a pathetic attempt at recognition--and it's been frustrating that so many online publications have simply reported this unsubstantiated claim as fact. It's as though anyone can set up an anonymous Twitter account and take credit for anything they want and journalists will jump to break a story rather than fact check.
    12-04-2014 07:46 AM
    It's as though anyone can set up an anonymous Twitter account and take credit for anything they want and journalists will jump to break a story rather than fact check.
    Welcome to American "journalism"
    12-04-2014 09:58 AM
    I don't buy it. Lizard Squad is known for, after the fact, trying to take credit for things they didn't do. I see them claiming responsibility as a canard--a pathetic attempt at recognition--and it's been frustrating that so many online publications have simply reported this unsubstantiated claim as fact. It's as though anyone can set up an anonymous Twitter account and take credit for anything they want and journalists will jump to break a story rather than fact check.
    To be fair, 3 weeks ago they tweeted that "Microsoft will receive a gift from us soon"
    12-04-2014 10:01 AM
    To be fair, 3 weeks ago they tweeted that "Microsoft will receive a gift from us soon"
    I'm skeptical of someone providing a vague prediction that will eventually come true on its own anyway (Xbox Live is the best online gaming network there is, but it does go down now and then).

That said, I see that this time they have threatened a specific day for their next attack: Christmas. If XBL goes down that day, my skepticism will fade away. I was never really denying that they did it--maybe they did, maybe they didn't--but more so voicing my frustration with contemporary journalism, where journalists will publish anything without substantiating it first.
    12-04-2014 11:57 AM
    I'm pretty sure XBL has issues on every Christmas.
    12-04-2014 04:04 PM
    I'm pretty sure XBL has issues on every Christmas.
    Interesting. If that is the case, then that leads more credence to my skepticism, as they may be trying to preemptively take credit for an outage on a day they already know is likely to experience an outage (due to high network traffic because everyone is home from work on Christmas, for instance).
    12-04-2014 05:18 PM