XBOX One Plex App- Is it Using Internet or DLNA?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I just changed internet providers and got a data alert already from them that I went over 250GB. I am thinking a lot of it may be coming from PLEX as we use it a lot and it may be coming from my Plex server via the internet rather than DLNA.

How can I check that the XBOX One via the Plex App is getting my collection locally rather than routing through the internet?

Thanks...

doadrian

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
If the server and the console are on the same network the traffic is local. I think you could disconnect your router from the ISP and check if you can play the files. You should be able to do it!

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how they could justify charging a $5/month subscription for accessing your own local content over your own local network.

That's one reason why I would never pay for Plex Pass. I will not pay to access my own content. Another reason is that my home Internet is limited in upload speed, so any streaming outside of my local network is horrible anyway.

If the Xbox One Plex app does stream through the Internet, then I would be paying them $5/month to stream my content into the Internet and then back into my local network to access the content on a device that is 3 feet away. I have my Media Center PC connected to the Xbox One using HDMI passthrough anyway, so it's not a service I need, but I wonder why anybody would use it unless they already had Plex Pass for another reason.

jgarfield1984

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
It does indeed route from your Plex server, out to the Internet, and back into your network. The reason being is that XBox Live is a closed environment, so therefore there's no way for Plex to tell XBox Live to just start allowing random local traffic to enter your XBox and into an app/game. There are many reasons why this limitation is in place, which you can find by hunting around the XBox One developer forums.

If the traffic and bandwidth are an issue for you, I would simply turn DLNA on in Plex Media Server, then just navigate to your content via the Media Player app on XBox One...This does not require a Plex Pass and the Media Player app is allowed to scan the local network and not traverse the network...I know that probably sounds really dumb, but there are lots of pros/cons when deciding how to handle situations like this in an environment like XBox Live, and Microsoft chose to take this route.

One thing to note going forward, Microsoft's new update coming to XBox One will support Miracast, which means if you have a Windows 10 machine (or hopefully any device that support Miracast), you should be able to remotely stream from your PC/Device to your XBox as if it were another monitor. At that point, you could simply run Plex from that endpoint and stream it over to the XBox vs. using the XBox Plex app.

Hope that helps!

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
on my plex setup, the server is on a pc, and the app on my xb1, on the pc side, i always see it pulling down metadata, for albums and movies off the internet, so there is definitely an option in there, and that could be part of it, so maybe you should disable that option for now, and see if thats the issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo