Can I use a Kinect on my PC (Does skype work)?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Kinect for PC (Does skype work)

Seeing as you can buy unwanted Xbox One Kinect's for good prices secondhand and I am getting one tonight for my wife's Xbox One, and I see MS now do a PC adapter, I was thinking of buying one to use on my PC has a web cam.

Any one know if Skype would work with this setup?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I bought two Kinects for Xbox One from Gumtree, one for ?45 and put this on my wife's Xbox One, the second I got for ?35.

You really can pick up secondhand Kinects for not many pennies if you look around.

I had ordered the Xbox One Kinect to PC adaptor for ?30 from Microsoft. It took about 10 minutes to get the SDK and drivers sorted, I downloaded a couple of the free test apps from the store and as far as I can see my set up is working fine.

However at the moment I have not answered my own question. If you go into devices the Kinect shows up but if you go into Skype or Camera the Kinect doesn't show up (Although the Kinect Microphone does.....).

There are plenty of "How to connect and use Kinect on Skype" texts and video's" and plenty that say Xbox One Kinect, but they all turn out to be the 360's Kinect.

I haven't given up yet, and it's no big deal if I do as the spare Kinect will go on my boy's Xbox One.

If I do get it working on Skype I will let you all know.

In the meantime it's very interesting seeing what Kinect can do on the PC just using the sample programs, even my wife enjoyed being a stick person.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have now answered my question........

And yes it is possible to use the Kinect 2 (Xbox One) on a PC and make and receive Skype video calls. And the quality of the transmitted video is superb.

However there is a caveat, it only works on the desktop version of Skype and not the tiles version.

Basically after scouring the web and finding millions of pages on how to use a 360's Kinect I went onto a Microsoft developers forum and found a post with the solution, it's a tiny download that you unzip to the C drive, run as admin and as long as you remember to test it with the latest desktop version (Doooh) it works and works well.

So if any of you want a high quality web cam, have a spare Kinect from your Xbox One or pick one up cheaply like I did, this is the way to go (Now all I need is Microsoft to wake up and incorporate the Kinect into the OS properly).

Well pleased and my boy isn't at all worried about not getting the Kinect from me, but as you can pick them up so cheaply if he changes his mind it isn't a problem :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb