Xbox hate?

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Why do people always bash on Xbox?
Sure I was a Sony fan boy still am sort of. During my childhood I played on Nintendo Super/64 later then PS One/2 mostly. During my teens I came late into the 7th generation I still used my PS2 at times. My friends convinced (peer pressure) to get a Xbox 360 (Elite) I never played the original Xbox nor have I ever heard of it really. So I saved some money bought it blew me away lol at the times. So I stuck with Xbox all the way since then. Launch day unfortunately I did purchased the PS4 peer pressure again but I tried to like it the hardware looked awesome UI not so much days later it got a hardware failure got a refund waited again and bought my beloved Xbox One.

Anyway why always the hate a fighting I mean their both great consoles? Because people just want to be asses? I don't know but we all know PC is king ;p lol jk

Just give me your thoughts on this.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Because it's Microsoft. Anything Microsoft does they usually get crapped on for it :)

See Windows Phone, Windows 8/8.1, Xbox, etc etc :)

Not saying the hate/comments aren't necessary or even valid because in some cases it truly is but at the same time if you pay attention to comments against a product you'll notice they are usually Xbox sucks because Microsoft or Windows suck....because Microsoft...it's always something about the company vs the product.

It's why you notice there seems to be a bias AGAINST Microsoft in the tech world.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Because it's Microsoft. Anything Microsoft does they usually get crapped on for it :)

See Windows Phone, Windows 8/8.1, Xbox, etc etc :)

Not saying the hate/comments aren't necessary or even valid because in some cases it truly is but at the same time if you pay attention to comments against a product you'll notice they are usually Xbox sucks because Microsoft or Windows suck....because Microsoft...it's always something about the company vs the product.

It's why you notice there seems to be a bias AGAINST Microsoft in the tech world.
About those 3 mentioned I always read that here or other places around the net. And why bias? Idk.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
About those 3 mentioned I always read that here or other places around the net. And why bias? Idk.

I am a little young so I wasn't actually really into tech back then but I think a lot of has to do with how 'bullyish' Microsoft used to be in the 90s.

Then you also have people who are all open source is King and everything else is inferior so, they will bash Windows as a crap product lol

and then you have people who simply hate to see the big guy doing good or trying something new so when they fail they loved to point out their failures or then they try to downplay their successes.

if you look at Lumia reviews you'll notice this a lot when there is an obvious PRO for Lumia and somehow they find a way to make the Pro into something bad...nitpicking really to try and be more critical while giving others a free pass.

The same people who will tell you Windows Phone is dead and have you believing that and causing a panic when it is evolving(See what happened when Microsoft mention it was downsizing its phones).

Or the fact that Windows Phone has no apps...when the truth is, it doesn't have as many apps as Android/IOS but it does have a DECENT app ecosystem as well.

Half-truths really is what you see when it comes to Microsoft coverage most of the time.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I am a little young so I wasn't actually really into tech back then but I think a lot of has to do with how 'bullyish' Microsoft used to be in the 90s.

Then you also have people who are all open source is King and everything else is inferior so, they will bash Windows as a crap product lol

and then you have people who simply hate to see the big guy doing good or trying something new so when they fail they loved to point out their failures or then they try to downplay their successes.

if you look at Lumia reviews you'll notice this a lot when there is an obvious PRO for Lumia and somehow they find a way to make the Pro into something bad...nitpicking really to try and be more critical while giving others a free pass.

The same people who will tell you Windows Phone is dead and have you believing that and causing a panic when it is evolving(See what happened when Microsoft mention it was downsizing its phones).

Or the fact that Windows Phone has no apps...when the truth is, it doesn't have as many apps as Android/IOS but it does have a DECENT app ecosystem as well.

Half-truths really is what you see when it comes to Microsoft coverage most of the time.
Yeah half truths Microsoft can never seem to take a break.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Exactly. You have mentioned the most major reasons why people tend to hate / have negative feelings on Microsoft.

And also the followings:
  • old-fashion image of "Nokia" affecting the perception of Lumia phones (imagine if Lumia phones have "Sony", "HTC" logo replacing "Nokia"... most people would say they look pretty cool)
  • IE WAS not good many years ago - the truth is that IE has improved a lot in recent 2-3 years with performance comparable to Chrome (in some areas, even better than Chrome, e.g. RAM usage). But very few people know this truth and some laugh at IE as "the browser for downloading Chrome"
  • Windows WAS not good enough many years ago. Slow start-up & shutdown, hang, OS getting slower & slower as more programs are installed, blue screen - these problems are quite typical before Windows 2000 but NOT NOW. The truth is my Surface Pro 3 with Win 8.1 needs less than 8 seconds for startup and my iMac (sold recently) needs >20 seconds.
  • The popularity of freemium, free apps have make people not willing to spend money on Windows OS & MS Office. Google Apps, to some extent, have crushed the "value" of Microsoft Office
  • Windows 8....

All these, combined together, have created a rather negative image of Microsoft.

Surface is perhaps the only exception that only a minority of people are still nipticking.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. You have mentioned the most major reasons why people tend to hate / have negative feelings on Microsoft.

And also the followings:
  • old-fashion image of "Nokia" affecting the perception of Lumia phones (imagine if Lumia phones have "Sony", "HTC" logo replacing "Nokia"... most people would say they look pretty cool)
  • IE WAS not good many years ago - the truth is that IE has improved a lot in recent 2-3 years with performance comparable to Chrome (in some areas, even better than Chrome, e.g. RAM usage). But very few people know this truth and some laugh at IE as "the browser for downloading Chrome"
  • Windows WAS not good enough many years ago. Slow start-up & shutdown, hang, OS getting slower & slower as more programs are installed, blue screen - these problems are quite typical before Windows 2000 but NOT NOW. The truth is my Surface Pro 3 with Win 8.1 needs less than 8 seconds for startup and my iMac (sold recently) needs >20 seconds.
  • The popularity of freemium, free apps have make people not willing to spend money on Windows OS & MS Office. Google Apps, to some extent, have crushed the "value" of Microsoft Office
  • Windows 8....

All these, combined together, have created a rather negative image of Microsoft.

Surface is perhaps the only exception that only a minority of people are still nipticking.

I got into a debate with this guy on reddit(I've gotten so addicted to reddit lol) about Microsoft and what not. What I don't understand/like is the fact Microsoft is basically crucified for their 'failures' such as Windows Phone...despite the fact while growth is slow, they do sell Lumias and improve on sales for the most part....and Apple/Google are given free passes.

He kept using Apple as the God and Google as Jesus...and I am like "you do realize that Apple nearly went bankrupt." It wasn't until the ipod and then later the iPhone/Ipad that Apple really actually became a dominant force...and that was because of Steve Jobs.

I think Ballmer did hurt Microsoft a lot....and part of the criticism they get IS deserved...but it's so annoying when you see people still holding on to Microsoft of the 90s/early 2000s...I am like "Hello, things can change/do change."

We have a new SEO who I don't necessarily agree with (How he is more platform agnostic instead of windows phone focused) but he appears to be bringing a lot of positive change to the platform as well...more than I saw with Ballmer. It's like people just refuse to give Microsoft the chance to change/grow.

TheJackah

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
The bashing has definitely decreased recently. Microsoft have done well and are becoming known to be a consumers driven brand.

Posted via the Windows Central App

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, they earned it. Microsoft underdelivered on the Xbox One. The Kinect will always be highly divisive, so forcing it on people at a $100 premium had no hope of being well-received. It sat that way for, like, 7 months. Then there's the fact that architecture choices this generation made comparing tech very easy, and the PS4's internal hardware is vastly superior, in real-world results (games at higher resolutions and/or frame rates), and from a practicality standpoint (removable HDD, more bang for your buck on computing power). Sure, the OS/software capabilities of the Xbox One surpass those of the PS4, but these are first and foremost gaming consoles. Many users (myself included) didn't buy these things to watch Netflix or Twitch or to listen to Internet radio.

The other part is the overall public perception, another matter Microsoft has brought upon itself. The company is in a constant stop-start with its mobile OS, having rebooted it 3 times since 2010, while somewhat leaving the original adopters of the previous iteration of the platform in a crappy situation in the process. That's not really the same with Xbox, but Microsoft's leadership change with that division has caused some problems for folks. I know I'm still annoyed that something like 2 months after spending the extra $100 on a Kinect I didn't want, Microsoft unbundled it from the console and lowered the console's price. It's a benefit to the market and future consumers, but those who were told over and over that the Kinect was integral and eternal, even though they didn't want it weren't entirely happy. Plus, killing off the Kinect's required inclusion probably furthered a lack of developer care for the peripheral, which annoyed Kinect's fans. Microsoft just never seems to have its act together for long, be it with Windows, Windows Phone, or Xbox. As such, people are often being blindsided by one change or another, and it upsets them.

Granted, I've overlooked most of this. I like my Xbox One, even if the Kinect sitting above it is pointless for me. I'm still on a 720p TV, so I'm not too upset that some games are at a lower resolution. I've already tried and hated Android, nor am I a big app user, so I don't have much in the way of a problem with Windows Phone (though Microsoft's handling of hardware has been 6 steps short of incompetent and well beyond frustrating). Not everyone is me, though, and I don't blame people who are annoyed that their consoles aren't running games as well as the PS4. I don't blame people who don't trust Windows Phone because of app deficiencies. There's always a degree of ****** hate with this stuff, but in Microsoft's case, it's done more than enough to earn heavy criticism. It's gotten a lot better lately, but even into 2016, it's still a mess (holding back the iOS and Android compilers for W10 because they haven't finished them, having this staggered, messy W10 launch across different platforms).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett