Game recommendations for 8yr old girl?

sik2k

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I gave one of my old 360s to my niece and got her a gold live account. She has completed Fable 3 on it (which I thought would be beyond her) and I now need to start getting her a few new games but I really don't know what.

She has Minecraft but I'm not too sure she's that keen on it. I tried her with Diablo3 but she was bored after half an hour. I know there are lots of 'kids' games out but I'm not sure how easy they would be to play with regards to controller use. I just can't imagine her being that good at fps or platform games.

I looked into Disney Infinity but I couldn't work out how it would play.

I am thinking of buying her either a laptop or Xbox One for Christmas so I'm also looking at Xbox One games.

If anyone has kids of this age (not having my own I don't really know what they like / are capable of) I'd be grateful to hear of any recommendations.

Thanks.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to say what she'd like without knowing what she has previously. I mean, I wouldn't have expected an example to have been Diablo. I would say get her Rare Replay and let her try Viva Pinata and Banjo-Kazooie on the One. They're both 360 games, if you want to get them on 360 (the former is disc-based, latter is XBLA). Given her age, you could also look at a lot of the retro titles on XBLA (Pac-Man, Galaga, etc.). Geometry Wars comes to mind, as it's very bright and active, which she might like. Kids typically love the LEGO games. Also, you might be able to find the older Skylanders and Disney Infinity starter packs on clearance somewhere, rather than dropping $75 to find out she doesn't like them.

If you have a Kinect, you could also try some of those games. Though it was rather clunky, in some respects, Kinect Disneyland Adventures is still pretty cool (my little brother had it). Kinect Sports is on both of those consoles, if you want to try her interest in the series on 360 and maybe get her it on the One later.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Peggle 2.

A whole lot of fun for young and old.

Ori and the Blind Forest is a pretty recent one.

sik2k

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: the Diablo 3, I just thought I'd try her with it as the controls were easy. I particularly like both the Peggle and Viva Pinata ideas and they're both games I've played myself in the past so not sure why they didn't come to mind.

Thanks.

Blackhivemedia

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I'd imagine Ori will be a little hard. After completing it, it's definitely one of the most challenging platformers in recent memory. Rayman is a good suggestion. There are some good Rare Xbox 360 titles like Viva Pinata and Kameo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb