Ask the Windows Central team your New Xbox One Experience questions!

Richard Devine

Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
NOXE-dash.jpg

The New Xbox One Experience powered by Windows 10 is pushing out on November 12 to everyone, preview or no preview. It's a big change, not one that everyone will like and with change comes plenty of questions.

Fortunately the Windows Central team has a number of its members already on the new update and so we're at your disposal. If you've got questions drop them into this thread and we'll collectively do our best to try and answer them!

Drewidian

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
One of the most requested features has to be DVR capabilities. Do you think that now that this is coming, Microsoft will eventually allow Xbox Ones to record Cable content? Do you think that they may partner with cable/satellite companies like the new AT&T to offer Xbox Ones as a complete DVR/Gaming/App solution?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Customization:
- how much of it can you change? Still only those pre-provided Windows 8 colours or did they add the entire Windows 10 palette of accents?

- The "OneGuide" tile and bar in the screenshot, is it always there or is it like the current tiles around the "main" screen (the one where the game is open in this case)? Does it have to have that endless black bar? How many of those bars are we forced to have showing before we can get to the pins?

- The side-bar: is it always there or can we hide it?

- Compared to the current UI, does this new layout take more space (thus further hidding the background picture) or the same as the former and it will depend on the size of the screen?

- The top tabs (Home, Community, OneGuide, Store) are customizable or fixed?

- The battery indicator next to the clock on the top, I'm assuming is for the controller. Is it always there while on the main screen or does it auto-hide like in the current version?

bbraune

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Occasionally my Xbox One with the new dashboard will lose HDCP with my DirecTV receiver when the Xbox One is in standby mode and I will be unable to watch the video signal from the DirecTV receiver through the component cables. The only way to remedy this right now is the completely shut the Xbox One off, or turn the Xbox one on. I use the component cables from the DirecTV receiver connected to a Slingbox which is also output to my home theater receiver so I can watch some TV w/o the Xbox one being on.

I logged an issue through the console, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

Bruno Lyrio

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
To find games, for example, by category on Xbox One today is something that I don't like. I have to write "indie games" on bing to get some results that isn't what I expect. They changed the way we search for games and apps on Windows 10 for Xbox One?

Thanks!

:amaze:

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Customization:
- how much of it can you change? Still only those pre-provided Windows 8 colours or did they add the entire Windows 10 palette of accents?

- The "OneGuide" tile and bar in the screenshot, is it always there or is it like the current tiles around the "main" screen (the one where the game is open in this case)? Does it have to have that endless black bar? How many of those bars are we forced to have showing before we can get to the pins?

- The side-bar: is it always there or can we hide it?

- Compared to the current UI, does this new layout take more space (thus further hidding the background picture) or the same as the former and it will depend on the size of the screen?

- The top tabs (Home, Community, OneGuide, Store) are customizable or fixed?

- The battery indicator next to the clock on the top, I'm assuming is for the controller. Is it always there while on the main screen or does it auto-hide like in the current version?

- Customization is about the same, backgrounds and accent colours and pins (at the bottom of the main dash, quick jump with LT and RT)

- The OneGuide tile is part of a recent list with contextual menu options based on what it is, a game in the recent list will have shortcuts to gamehub, etc.

- Top tabs are fixed

- Battery indicator auto hides if its plugged in

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
To find games, for example, by category on Xbox One today is something that I don't like. I have to write "indie games" on bing to get some results that isn't what I expect. They changed the way we search for games and apps on Windows 10 for Xbox One?

Thanks!

:amaze:

The indie devs actually requested that they be considered on the same level as "Triple A" games

ThaFunk

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Have you had trouble launching games like Destiny? I know this was listed as a known issue when they initially released the preview so I didn't opt in since that is the main game that I play. I checked recently and it was still listed. How buggy is the build now?

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Have you had trouble launching games like Destiny? I know this was listed as a known issue when they initially released the preview so I didn't opt in since that is the main game that I play. I checked recently and it was still listed. How buggy is the build now?

I did jump on Destiny just to test it, seemed fine, but I don't have The Taken King. I haven't encountered any real bugs with the latest build.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Occasionally my Xbox One with the new dashboard will lose HDCP with my DirecTV receiver when the Xbox One is in standby mode and I will be unable to watch the video signal from the DirecTV receiver through the component cables. The only way to remedy this right now is the completely shut the Xbox One off, or turn the Xbox one on. I use the component cables from the DirecTV receiver connected to a Slingbox which is also output to my home theater receiver so I can watch some TV w/o the Xbox one being on.

I logged an issue through the console, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

I get this problem sometimes with my Elgato HD game capture recorder, I think it gets confused if there's multiple devices involved with the pass through? not sure.

B Hammer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

It still freezes or crashes on me, but it isn't as bad as it used to be when the new dashboard was released. For me, crashing mostly occurs on loading screens.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Will they fix the Media Player problem, since it doesn't stream videos properly and is the reason I went back to current Xbox One OS?

B Hammer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Will they fix the Media Player problem, since it doesn't stream videos properly and is the reason I went back to current Xbox One OS?

What specific problem are you having? Have you tried an array of audio and video codec types?

I have had success with most of my videos. The ones that I have a problem are those with audio encoded as DTS; AC3 gives me no problems.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
What specific problem are you having? Have you tried an array of audio and video codec types?

I have had success with most of my videos. The ones that I have a problem are those with audio encoded as DTS; AC3 gives me no problems.

No matter what video I play, around 30 seconds in, a box pops up that says No Media (or similar) as the movie continues to play flawlessly in the background. I am streaming from my PC.

Richard Devine

Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
One of the most requested features has to be DVR capabilities. Do you think that now that this is coming, Microsoft will eventually allow Xbox Ones to record Cable content? Do you think that they may partner with cable/satellite companies like the new AT&T to offer Xbox Ones as a complete DVR/Gaming/App solution?

Licensing is hard. I honestly don't know. And I'm not American so I don't even want to speculate on U.S. cable!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb