Ask the Windows Central team your New Xbox One Experience questions!

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
If the new update doesn't support gestures then there is simply no point to updating. I'm going to turn off automatic updates. The only reason I bought the Xbox One was BECAUSE it came with the Kinect and could use gestures and voice to control things. Sadly, many apps have dropped gesture support and this is increasingly making the Xbox useless to us. If Microsoft is getting rid of gestures., we're trashing our Xbox One. It's a waste of money at that point.

Ryan Spooner

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
If the new update doesn't support gestures then there is simply no point to updating. I'm going to turn off automatic updates. The only reason I bought the Xbox One was BECAUSE it came with the Kinect and could use gestures and voice to control things. Sadly, many apps have dropped gesture support and this is increasingly making the Xbox useless to us. If Microsoft is getting rid of gestures., we're trashing our Xbox One. It's a waste of money at that point.

Oh please... the Xbox is useless to you because you cannot now wave your arms about? Did you buy it solely as a fitness device for your arms or something? Dont talk nonsense. Nobody likes features being removed, but the melodrama in your post is obvious.

Also, good luck with disabling automatic updates. Do that if you wish, but youll have a console forcibly disconnected from live, and never again getting an app update. Then it truly will be useless. Or, you can just dial back the drama a notch or two and just get used to operating the console by another method... remote control or by voice.

Kopacha

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Backward compatibility question: Is Bayonetta playable in this current build? I know it has been confirmed, but still wonder if actually is already playable, or we should wait for the full listing in mid November?

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I finally got the update as part of the preview program last night (I was waiting for a few of the major bugs to be ironed out before moving across) and my impressions are as expected, I dislike it.

Now, this is not to say all changes are bad. The responsiveness for opening some menus and apps has vastly improved, not only when using a controller, but when using voice too. I used to have to really hang around when asking the xbox to snap anything or go somewhere specific. But this unfortunately is the only real improvements I've found from the new experience, the rest as far as I'm concerned are a step backwards and these are my gripes so far

- Due to the tabs and icons on the main screen becoming smaller, they are now harder to read, as they blend in to my background photo which has a blue sky. I've used this photo from the very beginning and I wasn't looking to change it, but because all the icons and lettering are white on the main screen without the option to change the colour of them, I'm forced to use only dark wallpaper for them to stand out. I know I will get used to where they are, but that's not the point.

- I've never used gestures with my Xbox, I mostly just use voice with the kinect, but the layout has not even been optimised for voice, so much so that I can't get the Xbox to navigate down the page. Where I used to say "Xbox pins" this no longer works, the same applies when I go to the OneGuide tab, I can't get it to navigate down the page to see the rest of the content. This is also true of the TV Guide. I used to find it simple being able to navigate between 'Trending' and 'TV listings' easily, but they have made this more difficult with a controller and actually impossible with voice control.

- Achievement Leadberboard. I assume this will be coming back in a later update, but as of now the community tab is a waste, since I'm not really interested in what achievements my friends are unlocking in random games and rarely do any of them share an update. I usually found it more fun to compare how well we were doing for the month and as pointless as it is, I also got a bit of a buzz when I was ahead in the ranks.

- The OneGuide tab itself is a bit of a mess. I used to like going to the 'What's On' tab and having a few YouTube suggestions, for things like Xbox weekly and other gaming related videos such as Twitch or YouTube reviews etc. But now it's flooded with stuff from app channels that I usually go to exclusively if I know I want to watch something, or from other app channels I never use. Other than the 'Trending on Live TV' segment of this tab, it's relatively useless to me.

- Snapping an app with the controller now is more of a pain than it was before. If I double tap the Xbox button, I used to be able to just hit right and have achievements or the last used app, which was simple. But now, the left snap comes in (partially blocking my field of view of whatever it's overlaying) and then I have to tap down 5 times (or pull the right trigger, then tap down once again) to be able to get to the snap option, but then I have to scroll through a list of what I want to snap. This detracts from the element of speed they were going for in terms of getting to everything quickly. I can see I will be snapping everything exclusively using voice in the future, I feel sorry for those who don't have a kinect and would want to get around this.

- The Store I have no real complaints over. It's mostly an improvement over the old one, but it still needs a bit of polish

That's my opinions so far, but to me the NXOE is just as much of a step forward as it is backwards. It does seem to be that Microsoft was touting how this update was a big thing for backwards compatibility, almost as if it was to reduce the sting in the tail for those who don't like the new layout, but it's not like this UI change was mandatory for the backwards compatibility, since we know it worked fine without it via Rare Replay.

Anyway, I was expecting great things when I heard Microsoft's plans for bringing Windows 10 to the Xbox, but so far, from a UI perspective I'm REALLY disappointed. Time can only tell if further updates will bring the improvements I would like to see.

NuttyProf

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Your console will force an update, if you decline you will have to stay offline. Bear in mind, Xbox Live is needed for most apps to work as well as games. No update, NO XBOX LIVE, NO GAME UPDATES, NO MULTIPLAYER, NO NETFLIX, YOUTUBE ETC ETC. All you will have is a offline games machine

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
No, we bought it solely as an integrator for media and home entertainment. I only game on my PC. I detest using a controller, period. Our intention was to be able to access all our media--satellite, video and music server and the various entertainment apps--from a central device and the beauty of the Kinect was that we could control everything with gesture and voice. The gesture was particularly valuable when we didn't want to have to compete with speaking over the sound system. And, no, I don't have to "get use to" anything. If Microsoft is making the Kinect useless and forcing us to update to an operating system the ruins the user experience, then what exactly is the point of keeping the Xbox? If it no longer serves the purpose that we bought it for, then I might as well get rid of the stupid thing and save the electricity.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Your console will force an update, if you decline you will have to stay offline. Bear in mind, Xbox Live is needed for most apps to work as well as games. No update, NO XBOX LIVE, NO GAME UPDATES, NO MULTIPLAYER, NO NETFLIX, YOUTUBE ETC ETC. All you will have is a offline games machine

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Well, then, I guess there's no point in keeping our Xbox One. It was a waste of $500. We do NOT play games on it, so none of the gaming-related features matter a flip to us. But Microsoft needs to eliminate the requirement to connect to Xbox Live if we are not gaming or purchasing anything. Clearly all of the changes were meant to benefit games and NOT the rest of us.

zulu208

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, then, I guess there's no point in keeping our Xbox One. It was a waste of $500. We do NOT play games on it, so none of the gaming-related features matter a flip to us. But Microsoft needs to eliminate the requirement to connect to Xbox Live if we are not gaming or purchasing anything. Clearly all of the changes were meant to benefit games and NOT the rest of us.

well if you decide to trash it. can you pm the location and I will send some one out to take it off your hands/property. Just don't destroy it when you trash it. I'll take the kinect as well.

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone from Italy :) i love achievements but....the monthly friend chart is missing in NXOE? :(( I hope not ;(

Yep the monthly achievements friends chart is gone. So are Kinect gesture controls in apps and dashboard. Don't you love it when they remove features in a forced update.

I hope the EU fines Microsoft for millions over this false advertising. How many ads did they run worldwide that demonstrated how you could use gestures to control an Xbox One? Microsoft deserves to be penalized heavily for anti-consumer practices like this. I doubt they'll be offering me a refund for my Xbox One's now that they took away the functionality that I bought it for.

Last edited:

bschiav

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
IIRC the OneGuide button works, device controls don't. Also I want to know if the device controls work now (volume/mute buttons).

I'm also not having any issues with volume controls being passed through to my receiver...(unless I'm mistaken and my remote is set to send the volume controls directly to my receiver, but I don't believe that to be the case...could be though)

CarolinaChief

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
The one major issue i'm hoping for a change in is if you press "B" too many times on the dashboard it will re-open the last game/ app you were using. This is extremely frustrating to me! How is it after the update? I hope doing this just takes you to a central "home" area of the menu or something. Also, snapping the "party" app results in having a game start to load for some reason. Any change here? Thanks!

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have their Xbox 360 plugged into the Xbone via passthrough? I am considering doing this but would be good to know if any issues / how performance is before I move all my devices and rewire.

Sinterblend

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the xbox one and love it and I'm not an expert user yet.
I'm also interested in kinect gestures and it's a deal breaker for me.
I would like to know if someone could explain it for a novice user what means that I'll have to be forced to update? How that can be?
I just spoke to a MS representative and says that this is user's choice to install the new update. But I'm not sure if I can belive him.

So if I want not to update (automatically). What I have to do? And what are the repercussions? Gold Live not working? Is that true?

I'm really struggling to find good info.
Thank you all for the info and help.

Kind Regards

Last edited:

Pablo Sormi

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Xbox forced me yesterday to make the update and i did it.
Everything works good.

My review
- It is fast and responsive
- Oneguide finaly works faster, so it is the first time it is usable - I even used it a lot yesterday
- LiveTV works just like before
- Youtube app works without restarting the console
- games i play works flaweless
- The Store works normally
- Screenshots and videos works ok
- snapping feature is still a crap
- miracast works ok - tested it - it is faster, more responsive
- casting xbox to surface works also OK

If I would have questions: when Cortana/Xbox speach recognition comes to more countries (Poland f.e) ?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
nxoe-dashboard-review.png

Notice the OneGuide sub-menu. How do I replace it for something else? It doesn't allow me to do so.

Any news on Miracast support for the XBox?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb