Neverwinter - Windows Central Guild Discussion

IccyAsd

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Would you guys say the $9 for one month of VIP is worth it? I've put a ton of hours without spending a cent. Seems like a worthy investment for a month of 1 lock box per day.

And while I'm asking questions, how does one convert raw black ice into black ice the currency? All it says is "the forge" but I don't seem to have any options when I'm there.

The VIP is worth it with the lock box and some ID scrolls and a 10% extra XP, I have yet to get black ice you have to complete some quest in icewind dale.

OldDogSparky

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Is VIP worth it? I think that it is. I'm not at VIP 12 (was previously at VIP 6, but added 6 more months after the Double AD weekend) and find it really adds to my enjoyment of the game. Now you can spend $9 on it via purchasing Zen and the developers deserve to be rewarded for their work. Another way to do it is to earn astral diamonds by completing dungeons and skirmishes and then refine these raw astral diamonds. You can then use them to buy Zen in the Astral Diamond Exchange (via the Store menu in game). This way, you can build up the Zen and not spend your $s. If you knew all this, I apologize as some people don't have this info yet.

The lockbox key that you get each day with VIP with worth it all by itself. I've gotten 2 epic mounts from those lockboxes over the past few months. Do you get something great every time? No, but it adds a "what will I get today?" dimension to the game which I find is kind of neat.

Regarding the raw black ice, it needs to be refined via the "Black Ice Shaping" profession. You can access it from the normal professions option. I believe you only need level 1 to refine and the level 1 can be purchased from the Icewind Dale campaign window.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Highlights from last weekend's Neverwinter guild stream. Screenshots taken by LilFrier. Thanks to everyone who participated! If you missed the stream, please watch the YouTube video. It helps us out.

Neverwinter-February-weekend-stream-Windows-Central-guild-screens-13_zps7fce2atp.jpg

Would you guys say the $9 for one month of VIP is worth it? I've put a ton of hours without spending a cent. Seems like a worthy investment for a month of 1 lock box per day.

And while I'm asking questions, how does one convert raw black ice into black ice the currency? All it says is "the forge" but I don't seem to have any options when I'm there.

I also agree that VIP is a good buy for dedicated players. You need to be pretty sure you'll check in daily to accept the VIP rewards on all of your characters. The keys and scrolls really add up. Plus if you reach Level 4 VIP you'll get to summon a Travel Sign from anywhere, which is super handy. And the XP bonus is nice, 'cause every little bit helps (especially for alternate characters whow ill get played less).

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Is VIP worth it? I think that it is. I'm not at VIP 12 (was previously at VIP 6, but added 6 more months after the Double AD weekend) and find it really adds to my enjoyment of the game. Now you can spend $9 on it via purchasing Zen and the developers deserve to be rewarded for their work. Another way to do it is to earn astral diamonds by completing dungeons and skirmishes and then refine these raw astral diamonds. You can then use them to buy Zen in the Astral Diamond Exchange (via the Store menu in game). This way, you can build up the Zen and not spend your $s. If you knew all this, I apologize as some people don't have this info yet.

The lockbox key that you get each day with VIP with worth it all by itself. I've gotten 2 epic mounts from those lockboxes over the past few months. Do you get something great every time? No, but it adds a "what will I get today?" dimension to the game which I find is kind of neat.

Regarding the raw black ice, it needs to be refined via the "Black Ice Shaping" profession. You can access it from the normal professions option. I believe you only need level 1 to refine and the level 1 can be purchased from the Icewind Dale campaign window.

Thanks for the advice guys, I did go in on the VIP. Of course, my first two boxes yielded some snow globe that lets you make a pretty on screen effect (a.k.a. useless) and an extra artificer. Woo hoo :S I guess I got a total of 26 bars which can come in handy.

I did get the black ice profession. You have to get 10 reputation in Caer Konig (spelling?) by doing the Icewind Dale quests, and then that opens it up.

DavidBelanger

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Interestingly enough I'm really enjoying my healer right now. Just got to level 33. But it's definitely not at the same level damage wise my Rogue. But like you said, nice to be able to help in a different way during Skirmishes and Dungeons.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
The dark side of the recent Underside update is that it has made Coalescent Wards (used to upgrade some equipment to new rarity tiers) much more expensive. This has caused quite an outcry on the Neverwinter forums. I wrote an in-depth look at the issue - please check it out and be sure to comment on the article!

Neverwinter Underdark expansion stirs up controversy on Xbox One

Neverwinter-Underdark-screens-09.jpg

Interestingly enough I'm really enjoying my healer right now. Just got to level 33. But it's definitely not at the same level damage wise my Rogue. But like you said, nice to be able to help in a different way during Skirmishes and Dungeons.

Welcome, David!

OldDogSparky

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
David (or anyone else), if you get stuck on a quest then feel free to ask for a guildmate to help out. My hunter ranger really struggled at times and it would have been nice to have a tank in the match to soak up the damage. That's one of the reasons to join a guild and something that most of us have experienced. Good to hear you are enjoying the game.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, you can feel the damage deficit, as someone else who's playing a healer right now (and not especially well, I'm being lazy about talent distribution).

David (or anyone else), if you get stuck on a quest then feel free to ask for a guildmate to help out. My hunter ranger really struggled at times and it would have been nice to have a tank in the match to soak up the damage. That's one of the reasons to join a guild and something that most of us have experienced. Good to hear you are enjoying the game.

As someone who played a Hunter in WoW, and was therefore going to make his second character a Hunter (after I get through these last 11 Cleric levels), what problems did you have? Was damage absorption really that problematic? I took the tank companion on my Cleric for leveling, did you?

J A N Marquez

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
I made a DC just bcoz my GF needs the dc artifact. I must say its now 1 of my favorite characters to play. The only annoying thing i guess is that i have to change encounters and class feature everytime, if i wanted to do buffs support or heal type, but very powetful and fun.

OldDogSparky

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As someone who played a Hunter in WoW, and was therefore going to make his second character a Hunter (after I get through these last 11 Cleric levels), what problems did you have? Was damage absorption really that problematic? I took the tank companion on my Cleric for leveling, did you?

I leveled to 70 without major problems (only a few dungeons that were really tough). The real issue comes in at the elemental DLC (or Well or Dragons). The hunter ranger was OP in early mods of the game (PvP) and so they nerfed the character a little. The OP element of the hunter was their ability to restrict the movement of the enemy (rooting or constricting). So they made it easier for high level enemies to break that rooting. So high level enemies can't be restrained and immediately track you down and one hit you. The most powerful shot for a HR has a long delay and any damage taken will cause the shot to be interrupted. People have mostly given up on the ranged builds now and have gone to a hybrid melee focused build that gives up on the idea of staying back and doing damage. I still need to respect my HR and give that a try. I really wanted a ranged character though.

I do have a rare level tank companion, but either one of two things typically occurs: high level enemies one hit the tank or they ignore the tank and head straight to me. There is the owl bear companion that would reduce my agro, but I didn't spend for that. So yes, there are some tactics that make that class feasible, but I found the other classes more fun. I think if they fixed the rooting nerf for PvE, then it would be pretty fun and would work well for ranged play. Because of these perceptions, HRs will often be vote-kicked from epic dungeons which is frustrating.

Right now I have a GWF, Oath Pally and the HR at lvl 70. I just tend to prefer playing the others.

OldDogSparky

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I made a DC just bcoz my GF needs the dc artifact. I must say its now 1 of my favorite characters to play. The only annoying thing i guess is that i have to change encounters and class feature everytime, if i wanted to do buffs support or heal type, but very powetful and fun.

My Oath Paladin also needs to have encounters and dailies changed for either solo or group play. It would be nice to be able to quick swap between two different setups.

In general, I think that your second and third characters end up being more fun because you know a little bit more about how the game works: point allocation and mechanics. That's probably why my HR is such a hot mess.

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Next question. Now that I'm a VIP, I'm getting all these Epic dungeon keys, but can't really do anything with them because I can't seem to get my gear level to 2000. I'm stuck around 1930 and everything I have is 130 or 135. At this point, is it just a matter of plugging away until I can level up my artifact weapons and other artifacts for another 70 levels and trying to replace my level 130 stuff with 135? I've been plugging away at Sharandar and Dread Ring but don't seem to find stuff that really helps my gear level. I've found that Icewind Dale and Well of Dragons are too tough right now.

OldDogSparky

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Next question. Now that I'm a VIP, I'm getting all these Epic dungeon keys, but can't really do anything with them because I can't seem to get my gear level to 2000. I'm stuck around 1930 and everything I have is 130 or 135. At this point, is it just a matter of plugging away until I can level up my artifact weapons and other artifacts for another 70 levels and trying to replace my level 130 stuff with 135? I've been plugging away at Sharandar and Dread Ring but don't seem to find stuff that really helps my gear level. I've found that Icewind Dale and Well of Dragons are too tough right now.

When you are just under 2000 gear level, you get to the point where you need to refine your enchantments to at least rank 8. Probably the fastest way to boost the level is to make sure you have a weapon enchantment attached to your main hand weapon and an armor enchantment to your main armor piece. These enchantments require a coalescence ward to refine from 4-5 shards (depending on type). When you hit lvl 70, you got 4 shards of some NPC by Lord Neverember. The cheapest way to get one is just buy them from the auction house. If you don't have them already, then that adds about 70 gear score.

The next thing you can do is to get a shirt and pair of pants that are iLevel 145 or so. Get the gemmed ones because you can then add an enchantment to boost the gear score another 35 or so. That's usually enough to boost you 100-200 gear score. There are some double slotted rings out there as well. All of this gear is pretty pricey, so get that AD this weekend. Also, these can be created via level 25 professions, but require a unified element and a dragon egg to attempt to create. That's why people always want to get those dragon eggs as a reward.

My pally is around 2300 gear score and I'm running out of cheap ways to increase that. Then starts the real grind. That's cool with me as I just relax and enjoy playing the game.

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The next thing you can do is to get a shirt and pair of pants that are iLevel 145 or so. Get the gemmed ones because you can then add an enchantment to boost the gear score another 35 or so. That's usually enough to boost you 100-200 gear score. There are some double slotted rings out there as well. All of this gear is pretty pricey, so get that AD this weekend. Also, these can be created via level 25 professions, but require a unified element and a dragon egg to attempt to create. That's why people always want to get those dragon eggs as a reward.

Best place to get the pants and shirt? I know those are sitting around 90 on my guy. Heck, I was using the level 1 version until probably level 60. I tend to forget about those (obviously)

DavidBelanger

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
From playing around I started finding some decent damage dealing combos with the healer. You really have to learn to leverage both Divinity and Empowerment. Happy to discuss in a later post :)

OldDogSparky

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Best place to get the pants and shirt? I know those are sitting around 90 on my guy. Heck, I was using the level 1 version until probably level 60. I tend to forget about those (obviously)

I probably have the same shirts and pants from the Elemental Evil DLC that you have. I've purchased the high-end ones for my GWF, but I'm still working on upgrading the platesmiting profession to 25 so I can craft my own set. I could make it easy and just spend the 300,000 AD cost for a set from the auction house, but I'm trying to be cheap. So if you want quick, go to the auction house and look for gemmed exquisite shirts and pants. If you want the "cheap" way, then it takes way longer. You find the profession that creates those items for your character. (Platesmithing for Pally, Mailsmithing for GWF and DC, etc.) You then level the profession to 25. You need to create a couple pre-requisite items that are used for higher level tasks. The final task is a rare task so it's only available every few days and you have to catch it during the 1 hour window. You also need to have multiple (3 I think) epic level hardware pieces for that profession to give you the higher quality results. These are selected when you start the task. If don't use these epic items (only available in profession packs or the auction house), then you will not get the gemmed version. If you use 3 then you will have a 60% chance of getting the Tier 3 result with the gem slot. Complicated? Yes. Risky? Kinda. Cheaper? A little.

My first attempt yielded a Tier 2 shirt without the slot. I had to then farm another dragon egg and unified element (used in the creation) to give it another try. Two weeks later, I tried it again and go the Tier 3 result. Like I said, it's easier to just buy it and let someone else hassle with this. To me it was fun to work through it and learn the system.

Sorry for the long answer, but it just very convoluted.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
If anyone needs a specific blue level profession worker, I can usually dig one up for you at no cost (other than continuing to be an awesome coffer donor). Can do the same with some assets, but not everything as those are harder to come by.

Am I going to be able to keep my premium shirt and pants that give the 20% XP boost when I get to the point where I'm trying to boost my armor rating? They level with me, so it'd be nice if they boasted a high rating when I reach 70.

DavidBelanger

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Due to work, I mostly play on the weekends so will definitely be keeping an eye out for guild mates to join in some adventuring this weekend :)

I know I'm a bit weird but I actually have 7 characters that I play right now all at different stages. A few I like and a few I'm still struggling to really get into.

The ones I like most are my TR Lvl 62, GWF lvl 48, SW lvl 42, GF lvl 31 and DC lvl 37. My least favorites are CW lvl 32 and HR 42.

Eventually, I'd like to add all my characters to the guild so I can contribute from any of them, but as to not ask for too much, would it be possible for someone to add Keira@Sunstar to the guild? That's my DC and the one I'll probably be focusing on this weekend with my TR who's already a guildmember.

Thank you and looking forward to seeing you guys online.

If any of you wants to send a friend request, my gamertag is Sunstar. I've been mostly playing solo but mostly because I didn't know anyone else who played.

David

IccyAsd

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by DavidBelanger
Due to work, I mostly play on the weekends so will definitely be keeping an eye out for guild mates to join in some adventuring this weekend :)

I know I'm a bit weird but I actually have 7 characters that I play right now all at different stages. A few I like and a few I'm still struggling to really get into.

The ones I like most are my TR Lvl 62, GWF lvl 48, SW lvl 42, GF lvl 31 and DC lvl 37. My least favorites are CW lvl 32 and HR 42.

Eventually, I'd like to add all my characters to the guild so I can contribute from any of them, but as to not ask for too much, would it be possible for someone to add Keira@Sunstar to the guild? That's my DC and the one I'll probably be focusing on this weekend with my TR who's already a guildmember.

Thank you and looking forward to seeing you guys online.

If any of you wants to send a friend request, my gamertag is Sunstar. I've been mostly playing solo but mostly because I didn't know anyone else who played.

David

I'll add Keira in a moment :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb