What do you guys think about the studio closures today? (Lionhead, Press Play, etc)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I really wasn't interested in either. I've been in the Fable Legends beta for a long time, and not only have I never turned it on, I never even thought that I maybe wanted to try it. I don't know what Project Knoxville was intended to be, so I can't say much on it. From a content perspective, I simply don't find either cut interesting or meaningful for my gaming experiences.

Where I take notice is that Microsoft is dumping the studio in charge of its only big RPG option as an exclusive. They already have some gaps in their software offerings. We lost the Phantom Dust team, and that game's remake very well might be dead. Rare is finally making something new, but it also doesn't look very intriguing to me. I hope Microsoft adds some new teams at some point, because I'm not sure how much I trust their first-party exclusives after 2016. Scalebound and ReCore aren't first-party. Ryse doesn't look to be going anywhere, nor does Sunset Overdrive, so it's hard to think either of the 2017 games will be more than a one-off. I'd hate to see MS strive to be Halo, Gears, Forza, and maybe something else when they're bored (like KI or Sea of Thieves).

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the problem with second party is that it's so sketchy whether or not there will be a sequel. We got lucky with Remedy/Alan Wake 2 - will there be a Scalebound 2? is it worth emotionally investing in the franchise/characters? Will it be another Lost Odyssey situation?

Lots of questions I hope we'll see answered at E3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo