Even though it seems inevitable, Microsoft says they're not to keen on making another console just yet. Meanwhile Sony seems to be gearing up for a "PlayStation 4K" sometime this year which could force Microsoft to make a new Xbox in order to compete. Based on previous statements, if there were to be another Xbox there's a strong possibility of having upgradeable parts. I personally believe that consoles should be shipped with good hardware to support future games. My biggest question is if we actually were to get two new consoles how much is it? For gaming some people won't hold out and I completely understand that but lets not forget how much the Xbox One initially cost compared to how much it costs now. I don't think either company should make a new console because it's bad marketing to sell your fans a $300+ console just to create another one that should have originally took its predecessors place. How do you feel about this? Which console would you get?
    05-01-2016 08:57 PM
    Ugh for me honestly neither since I already own a Xbox. But I have a capable PC to run games so yeah. But the only thing I'll be missing will be "exclusives" from playstations side.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android (from my Nexus 5x or LG V10)
    05-02-2016 12:58 AM
    It will be interesting how this plays out. Microsoft might do like they did for the 360....remember the HD-DVD addon drive ?

I am one who follows the UHD/4K news. Maybe Microsoft will make an addon drive? On the side of it, Microsoft AND Sony claimed that their NEW systems did support 4K (pre-release). Now with that being said, 4K gaming? Never going to happen but, 4K video, very possable on midline hardware (as long as it's got a strong GPU).

Sony cant really change their hardware too much, if they put a bigger GPU in, now there will be games for the PS 4.5 and this will cause major fragmentation, also a lot of ticked off customers that their 2 year old console cant play some new games. They spent MILLIONS created the system, tested, hardware and expect it to last many years, the chances of them doing a complete upgrade is amost impossable at this point. Microsoft AND Sony do not make a lot of money on the console hardware, all the money is made on software.

If Sony does anything, it will be upgrading the drive to UHD capable and smaller hardware. The current systems should be able to do 4K with very little problems...(video wise, not gaming)

Also, do some research on the COST of doing PC 4K gaming....2-3 $500-700 video cards and a $3K system will just about do it on SOME games... Not any time soon on a $400-500 console..

I hope they make an addon on both systems. I dont have a UHD blu-ray drive yet but I am watching them. There is only about 10-15 titles out and I already have most of them on blu-ray. So, I cant justify it yet. Most movies are not done in TRUE 4K....

What I mean is, the video is shot in 4K, it's processed/edited on 2K gear, then upconverted to 4k. Sure it looks a lot better than 2K blu-ray but, it's not TRUE 4K.. and that is what is holding me back.

I have a 65" 4K TV and prepped for it... :)
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 05-02-2016 at 03:37 PM.
    05-02-2016 03:26 PM
    It will be interesting how this plays out. Microsoft might do like they did for the 360....remember the HD-DVD addon drive ?

I am one who follows the UHD/4K news. Maybe Microsoft will make an addon drive? On the side of it, Microsoft AND Sony claimed that their NEW systems did support 4K (pre-release). Now with that being said, 4K gaming? Never going to happen but, 4K video, very possable on midline hardware (as long as it's got a strong GPU).

Sony cant really change their hardware too much, if they put a bigger GPU in, now there will be games for the PS 4.5 and this will cause major fragmentation, also a lot of ticked off customers that their 2 year old console cant play some new games. They spent MILLIONS created the system, tested, hardware and expect it to last many years, the chances of them doing a complete upgrade is amost impossable at this point. Microsoft AND Sony do not make a lot of money on the console hardware, all the money is made on software.

If Sony does anything, it will be upgrading the drive to UHD capable and smaller hardware. The current systems should be able to do 4K with very little problems...(video wise, not gaming)

Also, do some research on the COST of doing PC 4K gaming....2-3 $500-700 video cards and a $3K system will just about do it on SOME games... Not any time soon on a $400-500 console..

I hope they make an addon on both systems. I dont have a UHD blu-ray drive yet but I am watching them. There is only about 10-15 titles out and I already have most of them on blu-ray. So, I cant justify it yet. Most movies are not done in TRUE 4K....

What I mean is, the video is shot in 4K, it's processed/edited on 2K gear, then upconverted to 4k. Sure it looks a lot better than 2K blu-ray but, it's not TRUE 4K.. and that is what is holding me back.

I have a 65" 4K TV and prepped for it... :)
    So a modular console? Aren't PCs modular haha.

05-02-2016 04:55 PM

Yes, but what's your point? It's an existence where MS has invested heavily in a single code base for all platforms, while also moving to a PC-comparable architecture. What is funny here?

I've thought for a while that Xbox should become a Steam Machine for Windows, in a way. The XB1 UI can be SteamOS to Microsoft. It makes a lot of sense to look into that, especially from a software compatibility standpoint.
    05-03-2016 01:12 AM

Maybe with the PS4 but, no way on the Xbox one.... We all know the you can pull out the PS4's hard drive and swap it for a larger one (largest 2.5" is 2tb).

I looked up the Xbox one PROCESS, it's pretty complex (pull apart system, put both drives on a PC, run Linux based scripts to copy data over from one to the other),

Microsoft didn't make the Xbox one modular in ANY WAY....500gb drive for a gamer ? Yea, that lasted 6 months for me....sigh..
    05-03-2016 11:51 AM